CF-R9 : no sound ! (in windows/linux) + wiki

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by pierro78, Jan 4, 2021.

1. pierro78

pierro78 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hey there

Got myself a small CF-R9, really like the small form factor and lightness :)

One issue is that I don t have any sound under windows 10 nor lubuntu 20.04 :( ... I am wondering if you folks may have some hints ?? :)
    (I tried with the internal speaker or a headset ... but I am not sure my headset plug is good with the R9 as that old R9 has 2 separate sockets for headset + mic and my headset plug does both ...)

Besides that I've also started a wiki page :
    https://panasonic.fandom.com/wiki/CF-R9

Thanks !

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  2. pierro78

pierro78 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    PS : sound is working good with an USB speaker ... maybe I need to find a small one ... (unfortunately no bluetooth on this old R9) ... or maybe I can buy a cheap usb to bluetooth adapter (I think I ve seen some for less than 5 usd on aliexpress ...)

3. pierro78

pierro78 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    PS : wow sound seems to be working after I put it to sleep and then wake it up ! ;)
    ... not working after a restart :( ... but after sleep and wake up again it works ! (and with my headset too ;) )
    ... tried the sound driver from Official Support Download Center of the Drivers, Manuals and FAQs | TOUGHBOOK | TOUGHPAD | Panasonic Global Notebook PC (for the CF-S9 which is also a 1st gen intel Core) ... no luck ...

I also have an unknown device ACPI\MAT0019\2&DABA3FF&7 ... seems like it s an "hotkey" device ... let me install the one from the CF-S9 ... => yes it s good now no unknown device anymore ;) ..

PS2 :
    sound is quite bad with this tiny speaker, very high but volume is not too bad, better than my CF-C1 and comparable to my CF-SZ5 and maybe not as high as my CF-SZ5 (maybe because the R9 is thicker and has more physical volume than the SZ5) ;)

4. CLASSIF1ED

CLASSIF1ED Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That hotkey device might very well be the reason you don't have sound.

pierro78 likes this.
  5. pierro78

pierro78 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    yeah ... installed the hotkey driver and utility from the S9 ... but still no sound after a reboot and playing with the sound hotkeys (mute and volume) :( ... sound works again after sleep and wakeup though ...

6. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    no text ---deleted

7. pierro78

pierro78 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    hotkey app (activated when pressing sound buttons) doesn t look like old win7 panasonic though ... looks more like microsoft win10 ... I am wondering why ??

8. pierro78

pierro78 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    oh I ve been more careful and installed the old hotkey app from https://askpc.panasonic.co.jp/s/download/install/r9kw.html#model2 and now it looks like I have sound after reboot ! :)

just let me check if I reboot again ;)
    => confirmed ! it s working now ! :)

Springfield and kode-niner like this.
  9. pierro78

pierro78 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    now cloning the HDD to a SSD ... I read that it s a pain to open the R9 though : http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/just-got-my-hands-on-a-cf-r9.821481/

also I have an 8GB DDR3 RAM chip that I am using for my CF-C1 ... I tried to put it inside the R9 and the R9 almost booted with its 10GB RAM (booting went further in Linux than in Windows) ... I am wondering :
    is the internal 2GB RAM chip removable ? if yes will the R9 work OK with a single 8GB RAM chip ?? any opinion on that ?? thanks again folks ! :)

10. CLASSIF1ED

CLASSIF1ED Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Don't do this. Cloning a HDD to a SSD screws up the alignment. Reinstalling is the best practice when upgrading to a SSD.