CF-P2 (British Gas Version)

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by AC1DFLAM3, Aug 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Odisee

Odisee Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all.
    Who has backup-battery photo or knows his type (voltage, capacity, rechargeable or not)?
    Thanks.

2. lxsys

lxsys Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Odisee: Its a Ni-Mh 2.4v 15Ah Rechargeable battery pack. Varta part 2/V15H
    Service manual quotes part number "N4HHECB0001".
    [​IMG]

3. interestingfellow

interestingfellow Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I don't get it. I had tore the unit down before and poked around in there trying to figure out the wlan chips. put it back together and it worked well (test calls, installed some progs and played around a bit). I then made sure it had full charge, placed tape over the battery's terminals and reinstalled the battery. It's just been sitting there for months.

sim card or not, sd or not, charge cable or not, hard reset or not, it doesn't matter, it won't go past that screen. I'll tear it all the way down tonight, and put it back together, just to be sure.

4. lxsys

Reputations:
    Chances are, because there was no main power source actively applied, the backup battery held ram data up for a while, and after that started to deplete, holding data intermittently, and possibly even causing corruption.
    If the CF-P2 had a good charge since reinserting the battery and trying to power it on, then chances are that the battery has been given a charge enough to hold the crap in ram.
    It took just a few seconds to clear my ram on my CF-P2, but you might want to try leaving the battery out for a tad longer.

5. interestingfellow

Reputations:
    Thank you, but just to be clear:

8 months (or so) ago I pulled the unit all apart, put it back together, and it worked just fine afterwards. i charged the battery, left it disconnected, and put it away for later use.

Today: put the battery in, fired it up, and it hangs at panasonic "initializing" screen
    Took it apart, pulled back up battery held power/reset buttons: still hangs.
    Took it all apart, pulled back up battery held power/reset buttons: still hangs.
    I even tried several sd cards while hard and soft resetting, with no go.

Also, while holding pwr, reset, and record, you can see the diagnostic boot screen. with the sd card installed there are several additional lines that display, and one of them says something about no bin file found.

I'm just pissed. I've been holding on to this thing as an emergency phone, it's now an "emergency", and it ain't working. sob.

6. lxsys

Reputations:
    The .bin not found message would be the CF-P2 bootloader trying to load firmware files from the SD card and not finding any.
    You probably need a full .bin firmware restore from the bootloader here. The .baf "firmwares" are nothing more than a few dlls and registry entries.

I've done a dump of my CF-P2's NAND, and I'm in the process of making it into a useable format for device restoration.

Possible progress:
    I've uploaded my dumps from partitions 2 and 3 of the device here http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VJB148G2 however theres still 1 more parition to dump which is more likely the rom - if you look at the size of the zip, theres a good 130> mb compressed down to 3.8. something tells me that that is more than likely the /Storage partition (16mb) and the RAM (eg my docs and programs). I've got my xeon workstation on dumping the roms out of the NAND dumps (if they actually are where the rom is...)
    Remember these aren't firmware. The CF-P2 will refuse them if you try to get it to use them, as they are not rom files.

Updating on my progress:
    Barking up the wrong tree. Those dumps appear to be completely useless - I dumped the wrong device. I'll try to acquire a data lead so I can rip the rom via itsme's tools +activesync which seems to be the way to go now.

7. interestingfellow

Reputations:
    oh...you would just happen to be the man!
    let me know how that goes, because as of this moment, I have a brick....

thanks again!

8. lxsys

Reputations:
    Actually, would you mind pressing Power, Reset, and UP Volume, and taking a picture of the screen that the CF-P2 displays?
    The pull the battery, hit reset and the CF-P2 should go back to normal boot.

Here's the results from my healthy CF-P2
    [​IMG]

Some more discoveries, the CF-P2 hangs at initialization if the battery door switch is registering as door open. Upon switch being closed, device requires a reset, then will hang at boot with "Loading... " screen but nothing much else apparently happening. Device required a full reset. Probably nothing much but I felt it was worth documenting here.

9. interestingfellow

Reputations:
    ....no, I can't. d@mn thief took my camera phone, and it's all I had.
    But bit for bit, my boot screen looks just like yours.

and those symptoms seem like mine. I'll pop it back apart and play with the switch...

Thanks

10. interestingfellow

Reputations:
    nope. took it apart and was hoping to bypass the switch, but it's smt on the board.......

I'm gonna start looking around for a replacement...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.