CF-P2 (British Gas Version)

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by AC1DFLAM3, Aug 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AC1DFLAM3

AC1DFLAM3 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hey Guys,

I recently purchased the British Gas version of the CF-P2.

Serial: CF-P2T1H017E

This version does not have Bluetooth or WiFi unfortunately. I didn't realise that there were models which did not support the above. It's just a shame is all as I really wanted the WiFi, any ideas where I could get the CF-P2T1FDF7E?

2. lxsys

lxsys Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hmm... Mine's a British Gas version, but the model number is CF-P2T1H017E+.
    I guess the plus means bluetooth then. What does "Wireless Power" show?
    I would have mine apart to look for upgrade slots for wifi, but it's got tri-wing screws.
    Of course, you could always fabricate a docking system and use a supported USB wifi adaptor, but that kinda defeats the point of a mobile rugged phone.

3. AC1DFLAM3

AC1DFLAM3 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Mine is actually very strange. The version of Windows Mobile is really limited it seems, I cannot even access my SD card with it through the Menu section.

Mine just says, Wireless Power and then Phone. There isn't anything else besides that

4. lxsys

Reputations:
    You seem to have the crippled firmware then... would you like a working firmware?

5. Rob

Rob Toughbook Aficionado

Reputations:
    Do you have a working firmware?!?!? If so I would also like to have it... I can't do squat with mine! :(

Mine is CF-P2T1HBF7E

6. lxsys

Reputations:
    OK...
    Hopefully, the file is attached. It's from a CF-P2T1H017E+ so I make no promises if it will work on other models but I would assume it would be semi-compatible. I've zipped it to stop the forum s/w having a bad mood, just unzip before you use it. You should only need the .baf file.

Firstly, push the reset with the stylus whilst holding power for about fiveish seconds. The device will do a full reinitialization. This may cure the crippled firmware.

If that hasn't cured it, pop the attached file onto the root directory of an SD card (eg F:/, replacing F with your card reader letter, or "/media/sdcard/" if you're a linuxer like me), and perform the reset procedure above. If the full reset has been performed correctly, after the screen alignment "panasonic backup" should appear. Hit OK or whatever and it *should* restore. Tested on my CF-P2.

If it doesn't pop up, then I might be able to send you a few files for the core backup engine. I don't think that this will be neccesary but I'm throwing in the offer, just in case. As long as you can pull up a file manager of some sort and access an SD then I may be able to help you reload the core backup engine files etc.

Hope it works and if you need any more help please ask!

Attached Files:

7. zzr1200

zzr1200 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm waiting for a P2 to arrive, it was described as a base model but I'll have to wait and see when it arrives.

Are there many different models/options and are they upgradeable in any way???

8. lxsys

Reputations:
    Mine was described as a base model - I think the "crippled firmware" issue may possibly be an inexperienced seller removing/deleting system components.
    The most common one as far as I'm aware, is the CF-P2T1H017E+ model. There are many more models in existance however they don't seem as common.
    It's unlocked.
    GSM 850/1900 with GPRS
    Micro$$oft Windoze Mobile 2003SE (Ver 4.21.1088 Build 15077.3.0.0)
    400Mhz Intel Xscale processor PXA270 (which I beleive is ARM?)
    64MB "memory"

Now allegedly British Gas had wifi on their CF-P2's but I haven't yet seen this. Saying that, there is however an option for "Panasonic Pegasus WLAN CF Module" so that may be a router to investigate. It might be a ZIF compactflash slot, if so, finding a compatible card may prove hard.

The about box lists a possible "expansion slot" however I doubt that this exists. If I had the correct tools I would perform a teardown however somebody decided to use a tri-wing instead of the T8 Torx screw.
    A possible path of upgrade that is accessible without opening the device would be the USB host mode, but is a clumsy solution in my opinion, as it would require an external 5V power supply.

9. lxsys

Reputations:
    Heyyy.... I've just noticed something!
    On the BOTTOM of my phone, it reads "CF-P2T1H017E+"
    Behind the BATTERY of the phone, says "CF-P2T1HBF7E"

Either I smell ninjawork, or I'm not that observant.

10. zzr1200

zzr1200 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I presume that the phone would require a higher output power supply than is supplied by the 5 volt circuit in a computer USB socket???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.