CF-H1 - Win 7 but no Panasonic software.

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by minstermineman, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    thats what the official instructions say to do.

toughasnails likes this.
  2. toughasnails

toughasnails Toughbook Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    At work we use CF-19 which has a USB barcode scanner. We use no special software other than MS Word. I have MS Word on the screen and when I scan a bundle tag it is scanned into Word automatically. Try what they say. It will work for you.

Shawn likes this.
  3. minstermineman

minstermineman Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ok - I installed the driver package using Shawns link, I have tried operating the bar code scanner button - at random bar codes, using Notepad - Wordpad, and not a thing shows up.

I'm missing something here but cant figure out what it is, the link to the missing barcode by Shawn talks of com ports being used by 2 devices, I checked mine in device manager and nothing to do with bar code scanners is listed in there at all - no items share a com port either.

Just so you know - I'm not just waiting for an answer to magically appear - I am driving myself nuts with Google too!

I have no idea if the scanner is actually reading anything - if it is it does not seem to be able to show it anywhere.

I might try Panasonic again - not that they seem to keen to help anyone unless they are the original owners

4. minstermineman

Reputations:
    Ok - I tried Panasonic again - they told me to download a barcode .dll file - which I did - even though it is already on the unit, and surprise surprise nothing different, scanner lights up and no info is shown anywhere.

Told Panasonic - they said perform a recovery - if that fails then they need it back to investigate further.

So onto my next questions - I guess this unit does not have a recovery partition, I cant see anything pointing to recovery anywhere on the unit?

So should it originally have had a recovery cd or dvd? If so - how the heck does that work with a unit that cant read them?

Panasonic in there list of recovery discs does not list this model, there are iso downloads available to purchase online - but would this mean I now have to purchase a usb dvd drive just to try one? or can iso's be mounted onto usb memory sticks and used that way?

I dont really want to send it back to Panasonic - I can see it costing more than I paid for it!

On another note - I tried the Panasonic configurator thing they have on their site to try and see what my machines ID code means and it wont recognise it, I was hoping it might tell me what should be installed hardware wise.

5. Shawn

Reputations:
    Boot into bios.
    last page of bios.
    should be a line for recovery if the partition is there.

6. toughasnails

toughasnails Toughbook Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    The Panasonic recovery disc is a backup image of your H1 HDD when it left the factory new. So it will install the OS, drivers and software like it's was when new.

Shawn likes this.
  7. Shawn

Reputations:
    This is one of the many examples of Ebay bargains.
    Sellers slap a generic windows on the drive and call it refurbished.
    But they don't include drivers or recovery partitions.
    Half the hardware doesn't operate.
    Or locked BIOS's which cripple the machine.
    -----------------------
    Poor buyers are unaware.
    Then the buyer assumes these are as easy to work on as a Dell or HP.
    Toughbooks are not easy.
    They are designed for military and large corporations with IT professionals.
    Amateurs have a steep learning curve.

No insults intended.

toughasnails likes this.
  8. minstermineman

Reputations:
    Thanks Shawn - cant find anything in the bios at all.

So I guess - as you say above - the sellers just formatted it and then loaded their own windows on it.

I'll keep chipping away at it though, its only the barcode scanner letting it down at the moment, the camera I couldn't care less about as it is probably not up to much anyway, the WiFi works just fine, it would just be nice to get it back to how it was, it had 2 hours 'on the clock' when I got it.

I have no idea if it has gps or anything like that, I did take a look inside, but didnt recognise anything to do with a gps. I've made several pc's and have put my old CF-29 into a new case, so not afraid to get inside!

9. Shawn

Reputations:
    watch this video. it shows exactly how to access the recovery

toughasnails likes this.
  10. CWB32

CWB32 Need parts for my flying saucer.

Reputations:
    i agree with shawn .
    there are some chaps on ebay that intentionally (but i would hope unintentionally) get these machines and then screw them up .
    how can someone not know that something is not working ?
    this is the point where the wise and honest person would put it up for sale "as is" and state that they attempted to wipe the drive and load the OS but there are a couple of things that do not work , and then spell out exactly what is wrong .

the machine that got me here , was one that W7 had been attempted to be loaded on and it was given to me because the guy (pretty sharp with comps) had hit the wall with it .
    after i got here , i found out that the first thing that needed to be done was flash the bios .
    after that , it was only half a nightmare .
    :D:p

post some pictures of the insides ... the gps module should be noticeable .
    it might be an after market and not quite as readily discernible .