CF-H1 - Win 7 but no Panasonic software.

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by minstermineman, Sep 26, 2017.

1. minstermineman

minstermineman Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi Guys - 1st post on the 1st Panasonic Toughbook forum I found. Probably way too long winded and full of newbie to Toughbook questions I'm afraid.

Today I got an as new but used CF-H1, as in my sig below.

It came with W7 installed and is currently charging and updating.

As far as I can tell it has a camera on the rear, and has a barcode scanner and barcode button on the handle.

My problem is - the only software is the Windows 7 it came loaded with - I have no Panasonic specific software on the machine, which I assume it would need in order to operate the scanner and camera - and any other function buttons it might have.

I have seen various dvd's advertised saying they are recovery dvd's - but none say anything about providing any Panasonic specific software.
    How do you use a dvd if you have no dvd drive anyway! Can I copy a dvd to a usb drive?

I downloaded the manual - which seems to say you have to enable things like the camera and scanner in the bios, I cant get into the bios without an F2 key to tap away at.
    I assume I can use a usb keyboard in the port replicator that came with it which will work upon bootup?

So in a nutshell - how do I get the scanner and camera to work?
    How - where - what - do I need to load from Panasonic to make it fully functional?

I tried their website and downloads section and just confused myself totally as it does not explain what all the downloads do or are for, and also says they have to be downloaded in a specific order.
    So I came here as you probably all know far more than I do!

This isn't going to be used as a pc, but for keeping stock lists on to be updated in the field, and the barcode reader would be a great asset.

Many Thanks

Gerry

2. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    Copying a dvd to usb will not work.
    You will need an external usb-dvd

Download and run this. It should have all you need
    ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/computer/software/H1C-MK2-7X86.exe

3. theoak2

theoak2 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Another approach:

Go to:
    http://business.panasonic.com/support-computerstablets

Then (near the top left) where it says Business > Support > Computers & Tablet > Other Downloads,
    Click on Computers & Tablets
    Then you can click on Driver Downloads
    Select Individual Drivers
    and Search For: All Drivers > Model # CF-H1 > Model Version CF-H1c (mk2) > Operating System Windows 7 32bit > Language North American English

This pulls up 42 records for me which include drivers and Panasonic apps and the all important Installation Instructions.

Not sure about this device, as I don't have one, but with other Panasonic computers, it **really** matters the order in which you install the drivers and apps. Follow the Installation Instructions for correct order.

4. safn1949

safn1949 I'm sure I'm on the wrong planet

Reputations:
    I might have the restore disc for that, let me look. Nope, H2 only.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  5. minstermineman

Reputations:
    Thanks guys, didn't think i'd get answers so fast!

I downloaded from Shawns link, which seemed to load a lot of things - but I still cant see anything to do with cameras or barcode scanners or anything looking like a Panasonic application anywhere on the pc.

So I did a search and found a thread where it showed how to get into the BIOS with no keyboard by pressing the 'key'button. In case there was anything that needed enabling, Unfortunately that didnt help me though - as apparently this now wants a password, and no - I am not even going to ask as I know what the forum rules are!

So looks like I bought the company a nice new paperweight which wont go down too well, which is a shame as it really is pristine, everything was in the box brand new apart from the relevent recovery disk.

So thanks for the help guys, much appreciated, I might have to find another one and transplant it into this shiny new case!

6. safn1949

Reputations:
    Do you have the dock for it? Because you really need that to get anywhere. Where are you located?

UNCNDL1 likes this.
  7. minstermineman

Reputations:
    I do have the small magnetic port replicator that came with it, but I left it at the office - so wont be able to use that until this evening. Then of course I'll have to track down a usb keyboard!

8. safn1949

Reputations:
    toughasnails likes this.
  9. CWB32

CWB32 Need parts for my flying saucer.

Reputations:
    ohhhh ... the *locked* bios ... well , leave us hope not .
    yeah , without certain items , it becomes almost impossible to make headway .
    if the project gets too big maybe one of the fellows here would take it on for a fee ?

when it comes to spending someone else's money , the responsibility factor rises steeply .
    been there , done that .

10. minstermineman

Reputations:
    So - basically I bought a new brick for the company, and because I mentioned BIOS
    everyone thinks I'm up to no good lol.

So in all your collective opinions there is no way to access or enable the barcode scanner from outside the BIOS?
    And also no way to download any Panasonic or 3rd party barcode software that might enable it?

None of the downloads above let me see anything to do with barcode scanner, there is ( I am guessing ) no way to make a button work the camera either.

I can always buy a wireless barcode reader, so its not the end of the world, just would have been nice to just carry around one thing, my office is my car on a farm estate, I have a CF-29, but lugging that around requires arms like Popeye and I needed something lighter.