CF-C2 Optional Kit Configuration

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by markfme01, Apr 5, 2015.

1. markfme01

markfme01 Newbie

Reputations:
    9I've bought a CF-C2CCAZXCM from the US (I'm in the UK). I've happily changed to the drive to an SSD, upgraded the RAM and installed a UK Keyboard, but I'm struggling to install a VGA port ... I think the reason is because this piece of kit needs to be specified in the BIOS, and the part of the BIOS where changes are made is password protected .. which seems a bit mean given Panasonic sold me the VGA port in the first place! Does anyone know how to get past that password? Help very much appreciated .. I'd rather not rely on an HDMI/VGA converter if I can simply switch this VGA port on ..
    Thanks for your help!!

2. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    Once you have 5 posts I can help you...

3. BaRRmaley

BaRRmaley Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    it's a secret

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2015
    markfme01 likes this.
  4. toughasnails

toughasnails Toughbook Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    I sent you a PM

Shawn likes this.
  5. markfme01

markfme01 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you for all your help, much appreciated..
    So I've got past that BIOS password .. but it didn't help.. For others, this area contains a 2 letter code box which appears to be associated with the setup of the WWAN only. (Or is this 2 digit code in some way links to the optional peripherals on the laptop?).
    So my question is, how does the laptop 'know' what peripherals are installed, and what model code to show in the BIOS? The Panasonic model code shows on the first page of the BIOS .. and this cannot be changed from within the BIOS.. But how is this model code information retained when the BIOS is flashed? Is there a way of changing this model code? Or is there an 'open' non-Panasonic BIOS I can use with this motherboard? Obviously this is a clean, new laptop, and I just want to use what I've paid for in an unrestricted way!

6. Shawn

Reputations:
    Have you contacted Panasonic?

7. BaRRmaley

BaRRmaley Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    How do you know VGA port is disabled? :)

8. markfme01

markfme01 Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes, I contacted Panasonic, and they said they could not help me as they do not support self installs. (And that I'd voided my warranty by opening the case).

How do I know the VGA port is disabled? Well, when I plug in an external monitor it does not register .. but other than that I don't know...

There are no hardware faults listed in Device manager (but I can't find any VGA port listed under hardware).

I've connected the VGA port via the ribbon, but not 'switched on' the port in any other way (hardware or software) .. should I have done something more?

9. BaRRmaley

BaRRmaley Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Ok. When you plug in an external monitor you can go to display settings (in your Windows OS) and check whether there is a secondary display listed. If it's there - you have to tell Windows how do you want to use it.
    Screenshot 2015-04-06 15.47.18.png
    VGA port is absent in my device manager too. But I have one and it's not disabled :)
    Go to BIOS and look for external monitor settings. It's usually possible to switch between external (if connected) and internal monitors there. On my CF-19 it's Main -> Display -> External monitor.

10. Shawn

Reputations:
    In the BIOS...what is set for monitor? Internal/external/both/auto?

From the manual.

„ Display
    No.display. l. The.external.display.is.selected..Press.Fn.+.F3 .or. .key.+.P.to.switch.the.display.
    Wait.until.the.display.has.been.switched.completely.before.pressing.Fn.+.F3.or. .key
    +.P.again.
    Then.click.the.display.mode.
    l. When.using.an.external.display,
    Ÿ. Check.the.cable.connection.
    Ÿ. Turn.on.the.display.
    Ÿ. Check.the.settings.of.external.display.
    l. The.display.is.turned.off.by.the.power-saving.function..The.screen.returns.to.the.original.
    state.when.you.operate.the.touch.pad,.keyboard,.or.the.screen..When.operating.the.
    keyboard,.press.a.key.that.does.not.affect.the.computer.operation,.such.as. Ctrl .
    l. The.computer.entered.sleep.or.hibernation.by.the.power-saving.function..To.resume,.
    slide.the.power.switch.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015