CF-C1 temperature?

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by alenN, Dec 24, 2020.

1. safn1949

safn1949 I'm sure I'm on the wrong planet

Reputations:
    Driver issue, what OS are you running?

2. Kerozin

Kerozin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    In my experience CF-C1 just runs hot, it has very very small heatsink assembly for 25W TDP CPU. Running synthetic benchmarks it'll hit 95C straight away and throttle.
    The gap you're mentioning is between heatsink and northbridge. From factory it's just filled with glob of thermal paste, not a pad. I used some high viscosity paste that is marketed as pad replacement there and mx-4 on cpu and it made no noticeable difference, temps and overheating stayed about the same so I guess this is how this machine is designed to run in the first place. If you're idling with no load at <54C and barely running fan you're ok.
    Was using it for two years or so and recently motherboard died, it was just sitting on charger and wont turn on again.
    While it looks cool and has superb touchpad it has severe design issues like thermal throttling, excessive usage of adhesives (nightmare to take apart), driver issues (wwan), subpar seals (dust between display layers) and so on.

3. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    I've been running all sorts of Toughbooks since 2006. I have had them so cold they need time to warm the hard drive before starting... But never had one so hot it would shut down... Which it will do if it sense heat that is too high. They are designed for that.

I have had different ones get hot if I were to have them on my lap where they don't get good airflow... But I generally use them now on a hard surface. If you have an older Toughbook it might be worthwhile checking the thermal pads for shrinkage or outright crumbling. Word has it that you should NOT use thermal paste (Instead of or in conjunction with) a genuine Toughbook thermal pad. I have used brand name thermal pads though and never had an issue yet.

4. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    I have never seen that on a unmolested Toughbook.

The CF 1's and CF 2's are a real challenge to tear down.

I agree with Toughbook. Only overheating was when I blocked the fan on a CF 52.
    In my experience Panasonic never uses paste from the factory. Thermal pads only. I have changed them on the "arms" of the heatsink on a CF 31 that are thin as heavy paper. Then on the CPU they are 2mm or so. Paste is for minor imperfections not gap filling.

5. Toughbook

Reputations:
    I missed that one Shawn... Agreed... Someone did that and it wasn't the factory. OP needs to get thermal pad installed if he wants to prolong the life of that Toughbook.

6. Kerozin

Reputations:
    Honestly that looked really odd to me so I went looking at pics on internet mostly of heatsinks for sale that where not cleaned and it looks like mk1 uses thermal pad and mk2 uses blob. It would be really odd that so many machines had pads removed and replaced with paste and mine didn't look like it was ever opened. Maybe it's not regular paste, there are many low viscosity compounds that are marketed as pad replacement and supposedly help with preventing bga failures but it looked the same as stuff on cpu to me.

As for overheating, there are couple of cf-c1 reviews online and they mention throttling under stress which means cpu gets to 95C. Heatsink assembly is also miniature like something you would find on a atom netbook with 2w tdp cpu.

7. Toughbook

Reputations:
    I've never had a CF-C1 open... But I have opened just about every other type. I've never seen Panasonic use paste. Now... I HAVE seen some thermal pads so distorted I could see why you might think that.

And don't fall for the "it didn't look like it had never been opened." Neither do the ones I work on when I finish. That's the whole point. ;)

Shawn likes this.
  8. Kerozin

Reputations:
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
    kode-niner likes this.
  9. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    Even if it was paste from the factory I would replace it with pads.

Toughbook likes this.
  10. Toughbook

Reputations:
    Replace that crap and work cooler! ;)