CF-54 Doesn't see new m.2 256GB 950 pro

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Goros, May 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goros

Goros Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi!

It's installed and getting power (it gets hot to the touch when system is powered up) but it doesn't actually show up.

Is it possible to make this a bootable drive? Or is this something that can't be done? I heard you can't see it in the BIOS until windows is installed and the drivers are loaded. This seems crazy to me, what's the point of an ultra-fast nonremovable drive if you can't actually boot your OS off it?

It's a cf-54ax001cm I got off ebay brand new for $999 with no OS or paperwork, just the original packaging sans paperwork and discs. I'm on BIOS v1.00L16 with EC V1.00L12.

I ripped out the 4GB RAM module and tossed in a 16GB hyper-X kit, and also ripped out the 1TB HDD and dropped in a 512GB 850 Pro. I have a HDD caddy on the way for the 2TB HDD I ordered, and I'll throw that into the dvd slot.

This thing is a beast but I was hoping that new funky ssd would let me boot. Is that not the case?

2. BaRRmaley

BaRRmaley Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    How do you connect this drive?
    Your main drive is 512GB 850 Pro (2.5", correct?).
    Second HDD caddy for DVD slot - maybe. Panasonic claims Flexible configuration area* (DVD or 2nd battery or Smartcard reader or PC card).
    Is there an additional M2 slot for the third drive (950 Pro m.2)?

3. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
  4. Goros

Goros Newbie

Reputations:
    The HDD Caddy is an addon item and not installed yet. The CF-54 has 2 drives available, an M.2 (for the 950, inside the case under the panel) and the normal side-loaded slot for a HDD or SSD.

It isn't IN the bios to select and that I read that you can't see it in the BIOS until all the intel software is installed and the UEFI Bios is actively communication with the OS?

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2016
  5. Shawn

Reputations:
    Ok then.

Good luck with your problems

6. Goros

Goros Newbie

Reputations:
    let me be more specific.

it's connected and totally invisible to the bios, however it is getting power because it's warm to the touch 3 seconds after power on
    It also doesn't show up in windows 10 x64 after all updates are installed and the UEFI bios is linked to the OS.
    I'm looking for someone who added an M.2 drive to the CF-54 themselves and already went through the troubleshooting to get it to work.

Last edited: May 15, 2016
  7. Shawn

Reputations:
    I could tell you exactly what is wrong. Someone else had the same problem 2 weeks ago. But I offer free support to people that appreciate it.

I give responses to solve problems in a specific order for specific reasons. It is called a troubleshooting flow chart.
    I am sorry that chose to feel offended. Since you know so much and are obviously perfect, you must not really need anybody's help.

Either you want help and appreciate any of MY time that I GIVE you for FREE or you can be a smart alec. You chose the latter.

BTW, You may want to call Heartlands and verify that the CF 54 is not stolen. It sounds very suspicious. Brand new in the box and missing all of the paperwork. Sold for 1/2 price of the true value. Those are warning signs to me.

Good Luck
    Call Panasonic.
    855-PSC-TECH (772-8324)
    Monday - Sunday
    24 hours

Last edited: May 16, 2016
    Toyo likes this.
  8. BaRRmaley

BaRRmaley Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You need Intel Smart Response to change those settings
    http://downloadmirror.intel.com/22501/eng/Intel SRT Enterprise Deployment Guide Rev 2.0.pdf
    But I'm not sure there is a way to use m.2 SSD as your primary drive. It's there for caching purposes. You have to try Intel's software.
    But if that m.2 SSD works only for caching you don't need it at all in your config. Your 850 Pro is fast enough and doesn't need additional cache.
    So the most simple setup is to pull out 850 Pro, install your old HDD (if you really need it's space), install 950 Pro as Intel Smart Response cache.
    But it's up to you :)
    My choice is 1 SSD only. Also it's a question of battery life and noise.

P.S. Are you sure it's possible to install HDD into DVD slot? I don't see it in CF-54 specs.

9. toughasnails

toughasnails Toughbook Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
  10. Goros

Goros Newbie

Reputations:
    It's not that I don't need help, it's that I specifically stated the drive doesn't show up in the BIOS so your advice in your first post was not useful. I'm also calling shenanigans on you knowing how to fix it, because if you did you would have offered that right out of the gate instead of telling me to select it in the BIOS

Not at all true, I said your information was being not helpful, that's it. You copped the attitude right out of the gate, which isn't my fault or my problem.

It came from a toughbook authorized dealer, it had 0 hours on it when I fired it up, and I already fired an email with the serial number to tech support yesterday. If it's stolen vs just being a laptop with no warranty, OS or paperwork, I get it for free because I can paypal backcharge on the ebay seller and that guy can deal with panasonic for selling stolen goods.

Yes. http://hddcaddy.com/en/panasonic-hdd-caddy/1505-panasonic-toughbook-cf-54-hdd-caddy.html You remove the connector from the dvd drive and install it on the hdd caddy to make the connection, the OS does the rest.

I'll give him a shot. Thanks.

Last edited: May 16, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.