CF-53 MK1 - bluetooth problems

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by tuff, Sep 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tuff

tuff Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello Toughbook gurus out there, I am in need of expertise please and thank you.

I have a new to me CF-53AAGZX1M that was sold as having Bluetooth, however upon receiving it bt connectivity did not appear in BIOS.

After a bunch of driver updates etc bt then showed in device manager as working (Toshiba RFCOMM) however I could not turn it on in Bluetooth Manager (Bluetooth Function Disable - Please plug in the bluetooth device) did not appear in the Wireless Switch Utility and I couldn't manage it at all.

After more reading and noticing an unused (factory taped) cable in top left while I was replacing the keyboard, I concluded that the internal module is missing and ordered one (DFUP1950YB). Installing it made no difference.

I am starting to conclude that this CF-53 was not optioned out with bt (I thought they all were) and functionality is therefore factory disabled in BIOS.

Am I on the right thought train or am I missing something here? I could always go with a bt dongle but the internal module cost me a bundle and I do like a challenge, although I am now starting to give up...

Any help is appreciated, thanks a bunch!

Humzahh likes this.
  2. kingstu

kingstu Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Your model is not configured with bluetooth. I have that same model but I have never tried to install internal bluetooth on it.

3. toughasnails

toughasnails Toughbook Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Welcome to the Panasonic Toughbook forum.
    I have a 53 and will check after work to see you mine has one.

4. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    Is the bluetooth cable plugged in the correct direction?

Uninstall the wireless utility and reinstall it with the BT module connected.

Did you reinstall the BT driver after the module install?

Does the BT option show in the BIOS after the module is installed?

toughasnails likes this.
  5. tuff

tuff Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi Shawn and all, appreciate teh prompt response, here are my answers:
    Yes, left it in it's natural loop direction when the module is mounted. Did flip the cable over though while troubleshooting. no change.

Did that tonight, during install was prompted to "Please plug in the bluetooth device and click OK", had to cancel to complete install. Rebooted. Now the bt Manager is installed but the application attempts to install the bt driver at startup, eventually timing out and telling me to "please plug in..." Nothing in device manager either. Not sure how the bt driver installed in the past, even had it in device manager as working properly (which it wasn't) prior to me uninstalling the stack tonight.

The bt driver uninstalled when I uninstalled the bt stack (which also uninstalled the bt manager suite.

BT does not appear in the Wireless Configuration section in BIOS, with the module installed.

It's almost like bt is purposefully disabled/hidden in BIOS itself, I don't know if updating BIOS may help, cant find it anywhere anyways for an MK1... I am running v1.00L12 and configuration 0010-0000-0007.

Thanks again, any further pointers or things to try will be appreciated!

6. ohlip

ohlip Toughbook Modder

Reputations:
    Did you take off the plastic tape on the cable ribbon. I ask coz, it has a transparent tape to prevent any contact to its body or whatever when it came from factory. That is for those unit without having an optional BT.

ohlip

7. tuff

tuff Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi ohlip, thanks for the question, yes I did remove the protective plastic, it was fairly thick and wrapped around the connector. I am wondering if cleaning the conductors may be a good idea.

I am assuming that the other end of this cable is connectorized to a subboard or mainboard, any chance it too is not connected like on the module end?

Thanks again.

8. Shawn

Reputations:
    I finally dug my CF 53 out of the truck. It is the exact same model as yours. I added a BT module from a broken CF 53 I had.
    It shows up in BIOS under wireless configuration.
    I am booting Win7 right now.
    BT shows in Device manager
    ......Bluetooth RFCOMM
    ......Generic Bluetooth adapter
    ......Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator

Clicked Bluetooth assistant from start menu..
    Right clicked on BT icon in right side taskbar. Then click BT enable...
    ERROR..please plug in BT module...

Reinstalling BT stack...First Uninstall then reinstall...
    Driver package now asks to plug in BT module...Clicked cancel
    Reboot laptop per BT driver instruction.
    Reinstalling Wireless switch...

NO JOY...

9. ohlip

ohlip Toughbook Modder

Reputations:

Yes! Please do it, it may have some residue. Also check the BT module connector, it may have something on it.

No! it is on one wider cable that branches out but if you do have an ability to open it up and explore, why not! and please unplug the cmos battery to reset the system.

ohlip

10. Shawn

Reputations:
    Downloaded BT driver from Panasonic

ERROR..Not for this machine
    Use 7zip to extract and run Pinstall.bat to force install
    Download Panasonic misc driver and reinstall
    Download wireless disable util and install.

NO JOY

Downloading entire driver bundle and will install it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.