CF-52 H/S fan swap

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by staffyman, Mar 31, 2021.

1. staffyman

staffyman Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi everybody, it's been quite a while since I last posted anything.

My CF-52 mk3 (CF-52PFN32PE) had been working flawlessly until recently it started overheating due to the fan not working.

I took the fan out and connected up the red (+) and black (-) wires to 5 volts and the fan ran. This obviously meant that the fan worked but for some strange reason didn't whilst fitted.

As I knew the fan actually worked I deduced it must be the fan control that had given up the ghost. So I disconnect the blue wire from the connector block. No real reason why I chose the blue wire over the orange one, just did it in the hope it might change something. I was fully prepared to swap it for the orange if there was no change.

Upon plugging it into the motherboard and firing the laptop up, it worked. But it was constantly at full speed.

At least it wouldn't overheat again!

I tried looking for a new fan but had no luck at all getting my hands on one. I did manage to find a second-hand one from China but it was very expensive.

So I decided to do some research. I entered the fan model number (UDQF2ZH3AD) into a search engine to find the specs of the fan. I then spent weeks trolling for a fan with the same specs. Or as close as I could get.

Eventually I found out that a fan from a Dell Studio 1558 has the same diameter and uses the same screw fixing pattern. The fan depth was around a millimeter smaller and it uses a 4 wire connection albeit with slightly different wiring configuration.

I ordered one from Ebay and waited for it to arrive. If it doesn't work I've only wasted £7.95

Upon arrival I compared the two fans and was very happy to see they were virtually identical (very slight difference in thickness), same screw size and placement, same size connector to the motherboard too. Red and black wires were in the same place on the connector and whereas the original Panasonic fan had orange and blue wires, the Dell used yellow and blue.

Strip down the laptop, remove old fan from heatsink assembly, replace with new fan and fire it back up to find it runs at full speed all the time. :(

Then I remembered that the yellow and blue wires were reversed compared to the original Panasonic orange and blue wires.

Swap them around and it runs silently and with my hand over the exhaust port I can just about feel moving air. I ran a stress test and sure enough when it started to heat up the fan speed increased, likewise with reduced load the fan slows down.

So there you have it, you don't need to spend a fortune or give up because parts are seemingly unobtainable, just do your research and see where it takes you. I did and I'm very happy with the results.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
    toughasnails, safn1949 and Toughbook like this.
  2. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    Good job.

3. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    Great post! Thanks for writing about it!