CF-51 CPU upgrading

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by rusty503, Sep 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adamwest436

adamwest436 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yep I love those sellers.

2. toughasnails

toughasnails Toughbook Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    So anyone out there in Toughbook land figure out how to get the T7500 CPU to work in the CF-51 yet. :confused:

3. rusty503

rusty503 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I am finally at a point where I have to humbly apologize to all here. I must have goofed and got my numbers mixed up. During the transit back from Iraq, my containers were raped and my modded CF-51 was one of the items missing. Therefore I cannot beyond a shadow of a doubt prove what I THOUGHT I had done. I recently purchased a T7500 and TRIED it in one of my other CF-51s identical to my original modded one. IT DOES NOT WORK! The reason is that the FSB is different. The T7500 has a 800 FSB vs a 667 FSB required by my CF-51.

I think what I did was mix my CPU numbers up when I first mentioned the CPU upgrade. I did NOT have my CF-51 with me at the time. With the original CPU being a T2500 and what I must have put in (a T7200) I believe I mixed them together thinking it was a T7500. I cannot prove anything about the first CF-51 but I can attest to the fact that a T7500 will NOT work. Please accept my apologies. I never intended to mislead anyone and I hope I did not cause much heartburn about this.

I would highly suggest that anyone go to: CPUID - System & hardware benchmark, monitoring, reporting, download and then run this software. This will give you quite a bit of info about your system. Pay attention to the chipset listed on the motherboard tab. Once you have that you can do more research to see what cpu is compatible with your system. This is what I did on my first system and with research I determined that I could in fact upgrade the CPU. In this instance you will find that a CPU with a 667 FSB will work.

Look on the bright side of this situation. I did get alot of you started with the whole CPU upgrade process. I again humbly apologize for my mistake.

Now to sell the T7500 I bought and get a T7200, T7400 or T7600.

4. Driller

Driller Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    teflon was made by a mistake and look where it took us. No apologies are needed here as your experiment worked in many other areas and got us to use CPUID to learn more about all that was available and just to try it out. We did learn that either of the core duos will take the T7200 as well as the T7600, at least I've done this with the cf-51 that came equipped with a 1.66GHz and the T2500 cpu. That did tell me the bios wasn't an issue here as I mistakenly sought to blame it on. Anyway, I wonder if we would have tried this any sooner had it not have been for your lead here. My greatest respect for your service to our country and to your innovative and inquisitive nature for extending the life span of the cf-51. Now I want to know if the cf-52 will take the T9600 that I bought on a whim since the FSB is the same on both. I think it uses a P8400 cpu and of course I can't rattle off the exact specs cause I have to look it up. Thanks for your contribution and talent in so many areas here, not just toughbooks. I SALUTE YOU RUSTY503!............Driller
    now if I can find an inexpensive cf-52, frakkenbook, here I come!

5. toughasnails

Reputations:
    I am with Driller on this , Thank you. I now have 2 CF-51's Core 2 Duo T7200 + T7600 that run great. The best bang for your buck is the T7200 @ $40.00-$50.00 . The T7600 @ $130.00-$180.00 is a lot and did not see the speed for that extra + $100.00 . I am going to pull the T7600 out and put in a my spare T7200 in and put the T7600 in my XPS.
    If anyone is looking to do this upgrade I would look at the MK3 T2500. This has the better video card in it. The MK3LL T2300 has the onboard video.

6. John229

John229 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    OK You guys talked me into it. Just got a T7200 headed my way. Also another 51, it has to be a sickness....:wub:

7. toughasnails

Reputations:
    Oh god....we sucked another poor soul in :D .

8. John229

John229 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    You say that like it's a bad thing!:eek:
    I've been working with computers for years, my first was a ZX81, then a VIC-20. Last few years I have been working laptops more and more. I've had Toughbooks before, Don't recall the model number, but it had a Pentium 366, and you flipped up the wrist rest to access the hard drive and battery... So when I rediscovered Toughbooks, the CF-51, all was lost.... :p

9. adamwest436

adamwest436 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah I'm finding 51's but in pentium m only. 2.0 duo are rare $600 units.

10. toughasnails

Reputations:
    Kidding.... :D You can't go wrong with the 51 . I find they are very good to work on and a lot less problems with them. I put W7 on mine and it runs great. Did you get yours from Buybest15.

If you shop around like I did it will not cost you $200.00 . The one in my sig cost just under $160.00

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.