CF-51 CPU upgrading

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by rusty503, Sep 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Driller

Driller Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    who? fedexecute? naaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!! boxes ,boxes? naaaahhhhh, we don't need no stinkin' boxes,,, welcome back man, hope your entourage gets back intact and dustfree from the sandbox, AKA testing ground for toughbooks. hopefully you didn't have to earn any purple hearts. glad to have you back......Driller

Kent T likes this.
  2. toughasnails

toughasnails Toughbook Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Well I pulled the T7200 Core 2 Duo out of my dell which was :eek: ....it's no toughbook for sure. Anyways I put it in my 51 which has the bad keyboard connector and nothing. So I said crap, that bites so I started to put it together......well as I was putting it together it hit me, I pulled the memory sticks out :laugh: so I took it apart again and dropped the Duo in it again.....BINGO, check out the pic

Attached Files:

3. Alex

Alex Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Blair

Was the memory faulty or the memory needs to be clocked faster with the updated processor

Alex

4. toughasnails

Reputations:
    Nope same memory DDR2 5300
    What it was I did not want to use the 51 that works A1 so I used the one I am going to use as parts (keyboard connector bad) and I forgot I had pulled the memory out of it :eek: . It's been sitting on the shelf for a few months and I just forgot. I don't think I will try to go any higher than the T7200, heat is a killer. Now to find one.......cheap :D .Miss a few on fleebay $25.-$33 but wanted to be sure.

5. Driller

Reputations:
    I'm not sure what the ram was in the cf-51 core duo that I tried the T7500 out in, it was 2GB of ram but I think it may have been 4200, can't wait to check it out, may even need to use a faster ddr2 because the FSB on the CPU is 800. anyway I'll check it out hopefully today,.......Driller

6. Driller

Reputations:
    I noticed the bios in toughasnails was version V3.50L10 & the embedded controller was V3.50L12, mine that had the core duoT7500 is bios V3.00L29 and the embedded controller is V.300L12, but did'nt have the laptop in my hand to see what the ram is as for specifications. might there be a way if had to to upgrade bios to newer version?, but I'll try the mechanical efforts first to see if that makes the grade.......Driller I meant the core duo with the T2500 2.0 cpu, in my excitement as for hopes here I put in the other T7500 in its place

7. toughasnails

Reputations:
    Driller, something I noticed is our 51's are not the same.Both are MK3's but mine is a MK3LL. What is the difference, I am not sure
    The working 51 at my other house has two "Crucial 2GB PC2 5300 DDR2 200 - pin" in it. But that should not matter what you use (4300 or 5300) I used these because of the price $30.00 :D This is from Crucial web site
    My understanding is the 5300 will run at 533Mhz

8. Driller

Reputations:
    I may slip in the crucial ram it is the 5300 but is 2gb each, and see if there is any change. but that MB is same design as the damaged one with the larger heat sink. it ran both the core duo 1.6 ghz and 2.0 ghz with the 4200 ram. the model number LL may mean something here, mine is a QG4DEBM. I remember the picture you sent with the wireless card and it looked very similar to mine.......Driller what chipset does your board have when you run cpu-z?

9. toughasnails

Reputations:
  10. Driller

Reputations:
    Mine is the i945PM, just swapped in 2gb crucial X2 5300 667 and the T7500 cpu and no worky. swapped back in the T2500 and is quicker because of the ram but may just need to get my hands on a T7200 C2D. Unless someone knows a trick or 2.....Driller

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.