CF-51 CPU upgrading

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by rusty503, Sep 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toughasnails

toughasnails Toughbook Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    On your mother board does your socket say "PGA479M" ?

2. Driller

Driller Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    just got the heatsink off and checked, yes that is the number, got another parts cf-51 that seller said wouldn't boot and was stripped, obviously was damaged by seler when they disassembled it as I could see pc card ejector was pryed off the MB,and was damaged ,it had a core duo 1.66 cpu, probably got fried, same number on the socket.......Driller

3. adamwest436

adamwest436 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah sometimes for parts are a gold mine or fools gold. Been on both ends of the spectrum. luckily all 3 of my toughbooks were the good end. The 72 was a blind crap shot.

4. toughasnails

Reputations:
    if you go to the 2 intel links I posted and click on "Compatible Products" on the left the T2300E is compatible with
    T2300E Compatible Chipsets
    Mobile Intel 945GM Express Chipset
    Mobile Intel 945GME Express Chipset
    Mobile Intel 945PM Express Chipset

T7500 Compatible Chipsets
    Mobile Intel® GME965 Express Chipset

Going by this its not compatible but as we know most companys don't want us to know what really works [​IMG] . All the T2000 CPU's use the same chipset so we could upgrade to the T2700 2.33MHz but the price [​IMG] for them is more that the T7500. I do hope that Rusty gets back to us and how he found out it will work. I just don't want to fry a very good working toughbook

Update
    Something I just noticed is the chipset on my dell

T7200 2.0MHz
    Mobile Intel® 945PM Express Chipset with 82801GBM I/O Controller Hub (ICH7M)

and the CF-51
    Mobile Intel® 945GM Express Chipset with 82801GBM I/O Controller Hub (ICH7M)

This is the only CPU in the T7000's that use this chipset [​IMG] . The rest use the GME965 Express Chipset.
    So who knows what the PM and GM stand for :confused2:

5. SHEEPMAN!

SHEEPMAN! Freelance

Reputations:
    With no offense intended (to Azrial) even a blind sow finds an acorn once in a while.
    From "Tom's Guide".

Jeff

6. toughasnails

Reputations:
    Thanks Jeff, That's what I wanted to hear. Now to find one. Was one on fleabay for $27.99 shipped but gone now :( .

7. Driller

Reputations:
    Just for the heck of it, I put the T7500 core2duo in, either I chickened out and didn't wait long enough for it to come on, the cpu may not be good. I put the original 2.0 core duo in and it booted up and went to OS Vista. Then I replaced that one with the 1.66 core duo that came off the butchered parts laptop and it went to bios and acted like it works. I may try later with the core 2 duoT7500 later tonite and see if I wait a little longer if it will come up to bios. You said something above about graphics and running cpuz to get the chipset number for compatibility. can you tell me anymore here. At least Ifoundout it boots to original cpu and the 1.66 core duo works as well on this MB............Driller

8. Driller

Reputations:
    did re install the core 2 duo 2.2 and waited a bit longer, no go. however the wifi card came in and I installed it and got that working now, so the cf-51 core duo 2.0 now has wireless capability. still seems slow compared to core 2 duo on my 3 year old gutway. anyhow it is working and am charging up the battery for it as well. I still think the core 2 duo can work here. but for now only Rusty Knows!........now to tinker with a cf-29etp20km that looks to be in pristeen condition with a bit of a cleanup....Driller

9. toughasnails

Reputations:
    Thanks for the try.I am going to try my T7200 this week. Just got the service manual for the Dull. So I plan on pulling the T7200 out and try it in the 51

10. rusty503

rusty503 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Still waiting on my stuff to come in from Iraq. As soon as I get it I will post more info. Sorry to keep you guys waiting. Fedex has lost 6 toughboxes full of stuff to include 16 toughbooks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.