CF-41 Toughbook or ???

Discussion in 'ToughBook Buy Sell and Trade Forum' started by Azrial, Sep 27, 2017.

1. CWB32

CWB32 Need parts for my flying saucer.

Reputations:
    a comp that meets the criteria is going to need a quart of kerosene and a decent pair of scissors to trim the wick with .
    if i get time , i think i have an old hp/compaq "toaster" out in the big shed ...
    (small , roundy cornered and cutesy)
    it was from the batch that had the hdds mounted vertically and a lot of them failed .
    man , i want to say that was around 1998-99 ?

Azrial likes this.
  2. Azrial

Azrial Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah, I know many people who have used fast machines to program these old radios. You will brick perhaps only one in 25 this way... That is a lot of radios when you have to buy them from the owner. Trust me, I know what I am doing here. But really, thanks for the offer! :)

3. CWB32

CWB32 Need parts for my flying saucer.

Reputations:
    i remember that there was a certain model of the HT that would brick itself on occasion .
    some of these could be revived by resoldering the connections of the chips and cleaning between the leads with MEK on a q-tip and a straight pin .
    in other cases , applying a piece of "bug-rug" to the micro/COP for a few seconds would do the trick .
    my friend had a few spares on hand ...
    one of the city cops , HPO , tribal police , sheriff's deputies or fire department guys would stop by with a dead one and if my friend was in , he would program one up as a swap out replacement .
    occasionally he would ask me to program one as he was out on a job maaany miles away (100 miles one-way was not really uncommon) .
    i never paid a lot of attention to the small details involved ... the instructions/steps were pretty simple and all the information was stashed in a few notepad files .

i repaired several of the multi-chargers (shame on you motorola ... what a bunch of crap) and rebuilt battery packs (old NiMH and NiCd) .
    changing over to NiMH from NiCd increased the operational life of the radio ...
    well documented ... my buddy would get *pulled over* or otherwise told about the longer life of the rebuilt packs .

we could never get the micros/COPS from motorola ... they insisted on having the radio sent in .