CF-41 Toughbook or ???

Discussion in 'ToughBook Buy Sell and Trade Forum' started by Azrial, Sep 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azrial

Azrial Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I will give you a call this weekend!

2. ADOR

ADOR Evil Mad Scientist

Reputations:
    I am wanting to say it is a Celeron on the 17, If I get time this weekend I will fire it up and see. Anyway you can under clock any of the other easier to get pc's? The CF-07 brick was advertized at 300mhz, but after another member looked at a motherboard good. I pulled one unit apart to confirm and it was a 600 mhz pentium 3 under clocked to 300 mhz from the factory. That would make it run very cool. Then it would open up a lot of older options.

One other older one I have is a toshiba libretto 70ct with factory dock, it's just a tad too fast for what you want at 120mhz. But there are older models that will work. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toshiba_Libretto

Very small and light. The dock has a serial port on my 70 model, not on the laptop it's self.

I don't think I have any other older models on hand than the ones already listed.

3. ADOR

ADOR Evil Mad Scientist

Reputations:
    I had a idea. Will a program Like throttle stop work? You can use it to limit CPU speed to a certain setting. Overclockers some time use it.

UNCNDL1 likes this.
  4. CWB32

CWB32 Need parts for my flying saucer.

Reputations:
    man , this scenario sure seems familiar to me ... and it is .
    a friend had a communications business and there were two major brands of radios he dealt with (dealership/sales/repair) :
    moldyroller
    tek
    (i knew comps and helped him out on this side of things as well as the tech side)
    his biggest issue with the software/programming side was setting/managing the baud rate of the serial port .
    (the crap that happened with developing the software to run on windows ME (uuuggghhh) notwithstanding)
    i recall that there were some software revisions that were written and had to be installed that addressed the problems that happened over a few years .
    i became more aware of this issue and solutions after i built him a "modern" fast machine for his workshop at his house .
    the software would load on XP but simply failed to program the radios ...
    this is where the revised software took into account the changes in hardware and dealt with the serial port speed/parameters .

is there a possibility that you can obtain software that had been written for (relatively) *newer* computers ?
    this way you might get by with a machine that is easier to obtain .

Shawn likes this.
  5. Azrial

Azrial Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If it is a Pentium 1, and the underclocking is done in hardware. A lot of this software runs under DOS!

The underclocking might work for the socketed CF-25, if it has hardware jumpers to set the clock speed for 100 MHz.

Thank you! I had forgot the name of the Toshiba Libretto! But, I was astonished just now to see one on eBay for over $600!!! I have never heard of "collectible computers." Frankly, I do not believe it.

6. Azrial

Azrial Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It needs to be no faster then a P100 under DOS.

7. Azrial

Azrial Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    There are certain advantages to using the older software... ;)

8. CWB32

CWB32 Need parts for my flying saucer.

Reputations:
    yeah ... there was a couple of things that the older software would do that the newer stuff did not incorporate .
    the modern term for it would/might be *jail breaking" .
    then there is the case for the old radios being left in the dust .
    (the old moldyroller bricks)

9. Psychowolff

Psychowolff Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Azriel, What are you trying to program?

Not ME of course, but I know a guy that knew a guy ;) who had some HT1250's he needed to program and used an old CF-28 with Win98 on it and they programmed just fine...

If you can't find a computer that works I do have a 28 (w/GPS!!) that you can have for shipping but it might be too fast...
    I also have an IBM (ptuu ptuu) laptop that runs Win95 you could borrow.

Azrial likes this.
  10. safn1949

safn1949 I'm sure I'm on the wrong planet

Reputations:
    Hell, I have a Panasonic executive partner. Kinda heavy though.:D

Azrial likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.