1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

CF-31 with 8GB RAM Win 7, 2.5GHZ processor and Blueray!

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Bono, Dec 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KLonsdale

KLonsdale Notebook Evangelist

Yeah fans suck, but if you want speed and graphics what ya gonna do. It will be interesting to see if they use an off the shelf fan or come up with something really cool.

2. ares93

ares93 Notebook Evangelist

i think dual gpus is a good idea. one performance card and a intel 4500 for instance. and a fan isn't an issue if it only runs when the performance card is in use.

3. onirakkiss

onirakkiss Notebook Evangelist

Was the operation temperature of the older TB also in such a small range from 5 to 30 degree?

4. Toyo

Toyo Notebook Deity

It looks pretty much the same to me, except they put the internals in different places. I can't decide if I like the slew of flaps on the right side or like how the CF-30 is with 1 door.
    I can't wait to see how they designed the fan part. I betcha they are going to make it to when the fan is not running it is somehow seals itself. This way they can still claim waterproof, though only up to a certain temp or you have to manually turn the fans off. This is going to be interesting for sure hoow they play this out.

I say the MK2 will be USB 3.0, which I will wait for before I get a new one. I am kinda suprised they are not waiting or didn't put this in it. I imagine people do alot of transfering with the Toughbook.

How did they keep the wieght the same? Interesting.

I just want to play and get at one. I will have to get up to BuyTough.com as soon as they start selling them.

5. Toyo

Toyo Notebook Deity

I just noticed something..... They show the fan on the left side/above the where the battery is. However, the fan intake is on the bottom on the right side underneath the power switch. That makes more sense now. I say they designed some special piping system for the air to flow thru. Wouldn't that be the cats if that thing could suck air/moisture and still work!

6. Azrial

Azrial Notebook Deity

The problem I have found with most rugged gear that is available on the civilian market is that it becomes popular with the wrong people. They want it to impress their friends back at the Insurance Company Home Office just what a tough guy they are while kayaking through the National Park on the weekends.

But the same ruggedness they desire makes the item less capable then other more mainstream items and they complain to the manufacturers, who in turn chase a larger market and make design consessions that compromise the original intent of the gear.

Pretty soon the "new and improved" model is consumer grade junk, but it looks and sounds tough and rugged and image is all this type really care for.

I hope that we do not see this happening in the Toughbook.

7. blargh.blargh.blargh

blargh.blargh.blargh Notebook Consultant

Nice!

First thoughts:

Core i5 processor
    802.11n wireless
    11.5 hours battery life from the main battery (using Windows 7)

If you read the fine print, the battery life drops from 11.5 to 7.5 hours when you enable the Radeon HD 5650 discrete graphics chipset.

8. blargh.blargh.blargh

blargh.blargh.blargh Notebook Consultant

I guarantee that it will have some sort of heat-exchanger.

The main chassis will be sealed and a heat-pipe will carry excess heat out to the ventilation channel.

I believe that's how they do it on the Dell ruggedised systems.

9. Toyo

Toyo Notebook Deity

I agree 100%. I hope they don't try to keep up to the technology race with everyone else. There is a fine line they must walk, it can't be easy.

I noticed the DVD Drive is made by TEAC, interesting.

They also designed the recovery/installation disc for W7 to load in 20 minutes. They changed the order of when you add your personal info until after it has all been loaded.

The 11.5 hours is tested at 60 CD/M2, meaning almost all the way dim. I was wonering how they claim such a high # of hours on these. I have tried everything to achieve such #s on my CF-30MK3 and can't get close. Now I know why!!!

Look at us, we sound like kids at Xmas.

10. gothed

gothed Notebook Consultant

I have to say I am really disappointed with the fan. To me a fan is a point of failure. Especially in dusty or sandy environments, those fans won't hold up.

We have seen the cf30 being submersible... the cf31 probably won't be able to pull this off thanks to the fan.

:(

Power consumption with the i5 alone should not have gone up, it should have gone down, that was the entire design principle. A fan should not be necessary. This deeply saddens me. The lack of fan was something that separated the CF30 from all other notebooks as well as all other tough books.

really sad : (

11. eno801

eno801 Notebook Evangelist

Does the Toughbook really need a discreet graphic card?:confused: I mean the display is only 1024 x 768. I don't plan on hooking a toughbook to my plasma thru the hdmi. I got an HTPC for that. or my xbox or my blu ray player. The fan is a weakness in my opinion. If it gets crudded up it will probably limit the cpu and disable the graphic card to prevent overheating I'm sure. But then your left with a CF-30 again (figuratively speaking). plus that channel is another nook for crap to accumulate in. Unless it has filters which will require cleaning....... and you know those fans will give out in dusty conditions. Hell in my shop I have to replace the fans on the PC every year or so they get all dusty and gummed up from coolant mist and dust. And this is with regular cleaning. They just burn up and stop working unless panasonic has some super fan I can probably expect the same, at least in my case.

I am interested in to see it maybe they will prove me wrong and make a kick- design.

12. Azrial

Azrial Notebook Deity

Only to make use of the BluRay.

13. mnementh

mnementh Crusty Ol' TinkerDwagon

Max Resolution/External Display : 1280 × 768 dots/1280 × 1024 dots

Not exactly what I call HD quality; unless the secondary graphics are dedicated to the HDMI.

Hmmmmm...

I'm thinking they've designed the fan in there for use when the secondary graphics card is driving HD output to the HDMI port; I strongly suspect it is not necessary under any other circumstances. I bet if it fails or gets jammed up with dust or crud it ONLY disables the HD graphics. I'm not seeing Blu-Ray as standard, but it will probably be an available option.

Building a waterproof (or at least water resistant) fan wouldn't be too hard; as long as it is mounted outside the sealed hull, who cares if it gets water through that cooling duct? Water, air... it's all fluid.

I see they've kept the same 8.55AH battery pack as the CF30Mk3 (Did they actually change the batteries on the CF-30 mid-production, or is it just a higher capacity version on the Mk3?); but they're using the power pack from the CF-52. Is that a slim model compared to our usual bricks on the Full-Rugged models? Or maybe they needed to use it to get that 100W capacity it claims under full load w/charge...

I like the 4 USB & Gigabit Ethernet, plus they DID keep a Cardbus slot along with the ExpressCard slot and even a MODEM is still available...

I see a base RAM of 2GB, but only 1 slot for expansion. I wonder if that's 2GB soldered & 1 empty slot, or 2GB preinstalled and you have to toss it when you upgrade... probably the latter, as they claim up to 8GB & I have yet to see a 6GB module. I am really pleased that they FINALLY stepped into the 21st century & started using a Recovery Partition.

Well... I can see I'll be looking for one of these in a few years when they come off-lease. :biggrin:

mnem
    Mmmmmmm... like buttah.

14. gothed

Please elaborate on this, I just simply can't see the fan as anything other then a point of failure.

Also the dedicated graphics card is an option. I wonder if not selecting it gets rid of the fan aswell.

15. gothed

It says this in the reference manual:

When the mounted memory capacity is 4 GB or less, Available Memory is 2 GB.
    When the mounted memory capacity is more than 4 GB, Available Memory is 8 GB (3.25 GB for 32bit OS).

what does that mean?

Also it does seem as though one stick is not removable, looking the pictures.

16. mnementh

If it's not NECESSARY to the operation of the laptop... if it's ONLY used for a NON-CRITICAL purpose(cooling the auxiliary video) then I see no reason to be worried about it, even if it does fail. A waterproof fan? we call that a PROPELLER. I've made hundreds of them... I'm sure the brains at Panasonic can make one too.

mnem
    Free air.

17. gothed

sure, but what about dust?

18. mnementh

OK, I'll bite... what about it?

mnem
    Dusted.

19. gothed

won't it break the fan?

20. NTTD

NTTD Notebook Evangelist

YES I feel the same way. Similar things have happened with many a good SUV and truck. Case in point Landcruiser. Went from super capable off road vehicle to freakin' mall cruiser with independent front suspension.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.