1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

CF-31 with 8GB RAM Win 7, 2.5GHZ processor and Blueray!

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Bono, Dec 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bono

Bono Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Okay....

I made up that entire header, but I did it for a reason.....one, to get everybody excited, and two to get your attention for this question;

Does anyone have any information about the next generation CF-30/31 Toughbook and what it might be equipped like? '

I am trying to decide whether or not to sell my Mark III in preparation for the new machine if it's worth it, and if it's coming out soon. Dates anyone?

My fantasy machine would be;

Blueray burner
    1TB HDD
    HD TouchScreen
    Emissive Keyboard
    Latest WiFi
    EarPhone plug/outlet on the FRONT!!!!!
    8GB of RAM
    Win7 64bit
    and a processor that is so fast that you would have to bolt it down to the damn desk to keep it in place.:eek: :eek: :eek: ;) :p :(

2. Bono

Bono Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I bump my message and raise you a message

3. Silver Trooper

Silver Trooper Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    From the rumors/whispers/propaganda that we have heard from some VERY informed sources, I would not expect a new model within the next 6-12 months. There may be some upgrades to the current CF-30, but an all new model is probably still a year or two away.

4. Modly

Modly Warranty Voider

Reputations:
    Why anybody would want bluray in a laptop at this point is still beyond me. Yes, it would be nice to have a format that will be supported for quite a few more years, but right now it's not very practical (being that bluray discs cost more, and the benefits on a small sized and small resolution screen are lost).

I would rather that the OEM make my laptop $300+ cheaper.

5. Alex

Alex Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Modly

Money is a factor in some of our decisions

I waited for blank recordable cd’s to come down to $5 each before I purchased my first cd writer

I waited for blank recordable dvd’s to come down to $10 each before I purchased my first dvd writer

And I waited for 25GB blank blu ray disks to come down to $10 before I purchased my blu ray multi drive

I am usually one of the first people with new upgrades
    It does cost more to be among early adopters of new technology

Examples

My first 60GB Hitachi 7200 rpm hard drive cost me $250
    My first Dvd writer was just over $225 for the bare drive
    My blu ray writer was $200 for the bare drive

Alex

6. KLonsdale

KLonsdale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sounds Great, like $10,000.00 great,

7. gothed

gothed Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    this thread is to me as the father is to the son in this dialogue:

Father: "Son: Santa Clause is coming tomorrow, all your dreams will com true"

Son: "OH really?"

Father: "HAHAHA, no son, I was just kidding. Santa Clause is fake. No presents for you!!! HAHAHA"

Son: :cry:

8. goldassayer

goldassayer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Bono
    The beauty of the CF-30 and its predecessors is that they are rugged field machines with low power consumption components like the 13.3 inch monitor, smaller slower hard drive etc.
    Low power consumptions gives the benefit of long run time on the battery which is what you need in a field machine.

Adding all the stuff you suggest will defeat the strong points of the existing design.
    Are you sure you really want a CF-30 model? The semi rugged models have larger screens etc and may be more in line with what you want.

Sincerely

9. Toyo

Toyo Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Nice dreams, but far from reality.

The technology is not anywhere close to get HD Touch Screens made for durability.

Not too many current Toughbook owners have much time to watch Blue-Ray, and Panasonic knows that.

Headphone jacks are in the rear for the purpose of a docking station, which a very large majority of Toughbook owners have. LEO, Fire, etc in the vehicles.

Emmissive keyboard? Is your CF-30 not?

When the CF-30 MK3 was introduced it did have the latest Intel Card.

8GB's of ram you will get, along with the ability to use W7 64 Bit.

You might have a better chance of getting your dream machine from HP, minus the Toughness:D

10. KLonsdale

KLonsdale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    We all know that Panasonic Toughbooks are not bleeding edge for a reason, reliability. Panasonic is not going to put the reputation of the Toughbook series on the line to utilize bleeding edge technology. I am all for technology, but think about this, 64 bit systems have been around for a while, as well as 64 bit operating systems, but how many native 64 bit applications are out there? I'll bet they can be listed on one hand. Every thing that needs to be done with a toughbook can be done quiet well in 32 bits and Panasonic knows it and like someone said until a large part of their market demands it, it aint gonna happen.

There is nothing that my Department does with an in car computer that can't be done with a 32 bit machine.

Sorry to ramble on but I was thinking about this as I was playing with the new Motorola 930 that is in my new patrol car.

11. Bono

Bono Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You are incorrect about the headphone jack. The docking station (which I also have) does not connect into the headphone jack. It connects via a large multi pin parallel connector. The headphone jack could be put up front.

My CF-30 did not have the emissive keyboard. I added it from Ebay.

I don't want to watch blue ray, I want the data storage. Watching it would be nice, but not needed by any stretch. And if they "knew" that we didn't have time to watch movies, why is the DVD player pretty much standard on the Mark III?

I'm just sayin'......;)

12. Toyo

Toyo Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Your right about the headphone jack, I stand corrected.

13. gothed

Reputations:
    1. If the headphone jack is in the front you can't put the laptop on your lap. It will break off the jack.

2. We need DVDs to install software, OSs... etc etc. (DVDs are more then for just movies, we can't say the same about blueray)

my 4 cents.
    Dominik

14. Bono

Bono Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Put the headphone jack behind the handle, or in a recessed point with a little rubber plug for weather. No breaky on lappy.. Problem solved.

15. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    I agree with pretty much everyone else... If you want an Alienware laptop... Buy an Alienware laptop. These are made for ruggedness and durability, form and function. A jack up front means yet another port cover to break off.... Then there may be wires sticking out the front AND out the back.... that is an invitation to disaster. Mod yours.... A extra AV jack would be just about the simplest of all mods.

There is a method to their madness

16. Zakalwe

Zakalwe Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Maybe old news, but I did not see it before: the Toughbook Download Center has, among other things, the operating instructions for the upcoming CF-31, including a whole bunch of details about the machine: webcam, HDMI, up to 8GB memory (yay!), and a fan (ugh!).

17. gothed

Reputations:
    OMG, you are right!

When will they officially announce it?

GOOD FIND.

It does appear to have a fan, and HDMI... ...

if the fan is true I will cry

18. zig553

zig553 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    There putting and I5 and a radeon hd 5650 in this guy? This toughbook is going to be quite the machine, i wonder if its going to be any larger than the older models

19. gothed

Reputations:
    13 pounds, that makes it heavier, I believe.

but still... fans... I might as well get a cf52

20. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    I would think that modding in a front headphone jack would be a piece of cake!

Speed = Heat = FAN.... Hmmmmm.....

Looks cool though...