CF-31 Mk2 SSD media failure issue

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by damanx, Sep 3, 2017.

1. damanx

damanx Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Picked up a CF-31 Mk2 with 3600 hours on it to replace the CF-30. The CF-30 currently has a PNY 250gig sata 3 ssd drive in it. Since the caddies are the same, I swapped the caddies and the CF-31 gives me a "media failure error" even though F2 setup, it is recognized. I then tried just putting the ssd into the caddy specifically for the CF-31 and same failure. I put the ssd back into the CF-30 caddy and it works.

So, I am at a loss at the moment as google search revealed nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    this might help

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...er-you-change-the-sata-mode-of-the-boot-drive
    After you use the BIOS setup of a Windows 7-based computer or a Windows Vista-based computer to change the Serial Advanced Technology Attachment (SATA) mode of the boot drive to use either the Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI) specification or redundant array of independent disks (RAID) features, you receive the following error message when the computer is restarted:
    STOP 0x0000007B INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE

To resolve this issue, enable the AHCI driver in the registry before you change the SATA mode of the boot drive. To do this, follow these steps:
    1. Exit all Windows-based programs.
    2. Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
    3. If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.
    4. Locate and then click one of the following registry subkeys:
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\IastorV
    5. In the pane on the right side, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.
    6. In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
    7. On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.

damanx likes this.
  3. damanx

damanx Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hey Shawn, thanks for the reply. The Msahci value was 0 and the IastorV was 3. Changed the IastorV to 0 in the CF-30, and then tried the drive in the CF-31 and still same response.

Put the SSD drive back in the CF-30 to make sure it would boot up and it did with the IastorV START value at 0.

EDIT:

Problem fixed and I feel like an idiot for not catching it, but the CF-30 required a password on boot. I disabled that and then moved it back to the CF-31 SUCCESS!!!

Thanks again for your help!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  4. damanx

damanx Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    One more question. Is this CF-31JAGAX1M the "value", "standard" or "performance" model?

Ok, so I figured out the difference is apparently the video card. Now to try to figure out which video card is in it.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  5. Shawn

Reputations:
    standard model
    Intel HD graphics

Model Number: CF-31JAGAX1M
    MSRP: $4,569
    Description: Win7, Intel Core i5-2520M 2.50GHz, vPro, 13.1" XGA Touch, 320GB(7200rpm), 4GB, Intel WiFi a/b/g/n, TPM, Bluetooth, Single Pass (Selectable), Emissive Backlit Keyboard, No Drive, Toughbook Preferred

6. damanx

damanx Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply again, but it did not clarify whether the unit was a standard or performance model unfortunately. I believe it to be a standard model based on what "Speccy" reports in regards to the graphics card in it.

7. Shawn

Reputations:
    First line of my previous post says what?.....

performance models had ATI graphics...

8. Shawn

Reputations:

9. damanx

damanx Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Man, I don't know how I missed that.....my apologies.

Must be the frustration with setting this thing up.

In any case, it's up and running with everything installed, in the correct order, and without any issues so far.

This unit will be A LOT better than the CF-30 I was using. I also happened to have 8 gig of ram to drop in to replace the 4 gig that was installed, and, it was also Samsung brand.

10. damanx

damanx Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Adding this info for potential search engine result.

Somewhere after installing the HotKey drivers, I lost sound. Interestingly enough, it was specifically sound from the speaker that was not there as headphones worked. FN+F4 did nothing. I uninstalled the Realtek audio drivers and the reinstalled. That did not work. Tried uninstalling the drivers and let win7 run audio and that did not work. Then tested the speaker with a meter and it tested fine. Did some more searching and found a posting somewhere that mentioned the HKey setup and HKapp causing issues. Uninstalled those and then reinstalled. Voila! Sound is working correctly with the Realtek driver. It appears that possibly the issue was with the F4 screwing something up.

Quoted:

"
    For CF31A-Z.... go to C:\ and run util\hkeyset\setup.exe and hkeyapp\setup.exe then reboot :)

For CF31-1 (MK5) I ran the C:\drivers\Hotkeysetting\setup.exe then I ran the HotkeyApp for the CF31-A.
    That creates a util2 folder. Drill down to the setup.exe and run it. Reboot.

Seems Panasonic forgot to add the HotkeyApp driver to its CAB file or place it anywhere in their drivers list.
    What seems to have been breaking sound on my machines was using the FN + F4 (mute)."

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
    Shawn likes this.