CF-31 has 'lost' it's Windows 10 Pro activation key - DPS won't run - No Wi-Fi and Ethernet

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by sunrk, Apr 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sunrk

sunrk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I posted this yesterday but it's been updated since I had some wins today - yay.

Yesterday I initially tried the 'repair system' option under 'recovery' in the system options (after saving my files to a seperate USB stick) but it returned a message saying it can't repair the system. No reason why. I reckon the registry was corrupted causing the DPS to not run.

The only anti-virus package I had on the old installation was Clamwin and that doesn't seem to work that well - it'll scan everything (takes a few hrs) and report findings but it doesn't repair anything. I have a suspicion the DPS is not running because something's corrupting something in the registry (which I have no experience in so won't try fiddling with). If that was running I've had functioning ethernet and wi-fi again I think.

Today I had more time to try things and research the process. It turns out that (a) the product key on the bottom of the machine is actually valid (yay), (b) that I had to use the 'advanced' option, clean/erase the main partition (SSD - took like 2 seconds!), then incredibly the install actually worked.

I found the Cortana voice talking to me all the time quite annoying, but it took much longer to download and install all the Windows updates the system wanted (probably 6 hours) than to re-install Win 10 off the USB stick.

My internet connection is ADSL2+ but there's major knobbling on that because in just over two months that gets forcibly disconnected due to NBN co terminating the lease that Telstra (the former owner of the in-ground copper network) has. I'm in the process of upgrading to NBN with a much newer VDSL-capable router. Australia is being forced to accept a sub-standard telco network still mosting using copper pairs into residential premises.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
  2. Springfield

Springfield Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I've been loading Win 10 on several TB's. Much faster to choose "I don't have an Internet connection" or Advanced then "Don't update now" (or something like that), then once Win 10 is up and running I manually connect and update Win 10. Win 10 seems to be accepting Win 7 keys as long as they are the equivalent version e.g. Pro.

kode-niner and jeremyshaw like this.
  3. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
    Yikes, still this bad? I knew it was bad years ago, but I thought ~10 years later, it would have gotten better. Hopefully Starlink (or something like it) will motivate your local telcos to meaningfully upgrade the network!

Either way, hopefully your reinstall works out!

4. theoak2

theoak2 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I didn't know residences ever had anything more than copper wire from telco or cable company. Every place in the USA that I have ever lived only had copper running to the house, even though backbone lines are fiber optic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.