CF-31 as a "light" workhorse laptop?

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by SJLPHI, Jan 8, 2021.

1. SJLPHI

SJLPHI Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello,
    Lately I am finding myself using my CF-19Mk6 a lot, even more so than my Lenovo T480 mostly because the T480 is much more delicate. I carry my T480 in a Pelican backpack which defeats the purpose of having a light, thin performance laptop. Besides, while the performance is nice, it's not necessary. My CF-19 almost fits the bill except I go a little bit crazy with its keyboard arrangement, small screen size and how hot it gets (to the point it burns my palms if I rest my hands on chassis).

This got me thinking that I may invest in a used CF-31 with preferably i5-3rd or 5th gen CPU + dGPU (whatever opportunistic buy is on ebay auctions).

I am intending to use the CF-31 to basically replace the Lenovo T480, everything "light" duty programming + CAD designing + putting together presentation.

I am putting together a list of components to buy additionally/replace (reapplying thermal pads, turning DVD drive into a second HDD caddy for example) but I wonder, even though I can clearly see that CF-31 will give me a larger screen and a more "natural" keyboard arrangement, will it still be able to perform as a light workhorse laptop without burning me literally?

I know that it is one of the few toughbooks with fans but how hot does it get when pushed to 100% performance for extended period of time?

2. UNCNDL1

UNCNDL1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    There’s a sweet MK3 for sale and the seller can answer all your questions, he’s the search ninja

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

toughasnails and Shawn like this.
  3. UNCNDL1

UNCNDL1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  4. CLASSIF1ED

CLASSIF1ED Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    31 is a _massive_ downgrade from a T480 though.

5. SJLPHI

Reputations:
    Yep, especially considering the 32GB RAM and i7 8th gen core with MX150 dGPU. The problem with T480 is that I actually have to take care of it and treat it as a delicate equipment rather than a brick. Mos of the time it sits in its Pelican backpack and I am actually choosing to carry my CF-19 especially since I have a desktop at work and an Alienware 15 at home.

6. steve.steve

steve.steve Company Representative

Reputations:
    You can put 32gb in a mk5 but the 16gb chips are pricey.

7. Geraout

Geraout Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you need the discrete graphics card the best is a mk4 ..The dgpu was dropped on the mk5+.

8. BaRRmaley

BaRRmaley Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You don't have to, it's mil-std-810g certified. Anyway, cf-31 is extremely bulky. Maybe there's a sense to look for cf-5x series. But I would prefer working on thinkpad whenever it's possible.

9. SJLPHI

Reputations:
    Honestly the certification doesn't mean much... Up until Tx30, lenovos were quite sturdy, T440~T480+ are built like Macs and gets scruffed up too easily, not to mention the inadequate cooling without tweaking the fan speeds.

I did consider CF-5x series but right now CF31 with its handle an full ruggedness attracts me. I just want something that is essentially a larger version of CF19 with proper keyboard layout and a larger screen and handle heat better.

Regarding

Do they have any Nvidia dGPUs or all Radeon?

10. Geraout

Geraout Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    All ATI Radeon™ HD.