CF-30MK2 Vista to W7 upgrade

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by mklym, Feb 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mklym

mklym Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I posted this on Toughbooktalk and thought it might be useful here as well.

I have one of Jeff's very nice CF-30MK2 (CF-30FCS85AM) to play with/sell. It has a Vista Business COA so I did a restore to factory. After Jeff related some of his adventures upgrading to W7, I thought I would give it a shot. The idea is to end up with everything working properly, as painless and quick as possible. I used a new Intel 240GB ssd for this experiment.

What you will need to have on hand to make the job smoother is a Vista Business restore disc, Vista Service Pack 1, a W7 install disc (I used an AIO disc I made) and the Vista video driver. You can also download and install the SP1 and video driver once on the desktops.

Here is Vista SP1:

Download Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Five Language Standalone (KB936330) from Official Microsoft Download Center

The Vista video driver, video_1930_22_d070577.exe (15.0 mb) is available from the Panasonic Japan download site. Select all drivers, CF-30, CF-30F/G(mk2), Vista and search keyword 'video'.

Make sure the touchscreen setting in the BIOS is set to AUTO or TABLET before you start the install.

1. Install Vista Business from restore disc. When done, calibrate screen, for convenience. :)

2. Install Vista SP1

3. Uninstall the Intel Extended Thermal Model. Reboot. You reinstall it later in W7.

4. Insert the W7 disc and start the install from the desktop. To be sure there will be no other conflicts with your unit, you can run the compatibility checker.
    4a. Select 'go online for updates'.
    4b. Select the 'Upgrade' NOT the 'Custom' method.

5. After you have a W7 desktop do the initial MS critical updates.

6. If you find your cursor is jumpy after the updates, disable the GPS in the BIOS when you reboot.

7. Calibrate the touchscreen, using the stand alone Tablet Calibration program in Control Panel, from an admin account. It is the old XP style with 16 contact points. Do not use the calibration utility found in the Tablet PC Settings, in Control Panel for the initial calibration. Use it after you are done all the updates and installs.

8. Install the Vista video driver from Device Manager. Right click the display adapter entry and select update driver. Tell it you want to pick your hardware from a list, and once you have the Intel 965 chipset v7.14.10.1244 highlighted click have disc and point it at the folder you extracted the driver to. I put mine in the C:\util\drivers\video folder. Reboot after driver install. I never got a BSOD like some have reported. YMMV.

9. Finish the MS updates, including SP1.

10. Enable the GPS in the BIOS, setting it to 'Auto'. Install the GPS registry patch when back in Windows.

11. In Device Manager I had one entry with yellow exclamation mark, PCI data acquisition something. Right click on it and select 'Update driver'. Point it at the C:\util folder. It will find and load the Intel Extended Thermal Model driver. Clean DM now.

12. At this point the OS install is done. Now load any programs you want/need.

That's it. And yes you need a W7 COA to activate the OS but you do not need to do the phone activation. When you click the 'Activate now' link in the System properties window, you are asked to input the key, then the program goes online to check the key. After about 3 minutes, it should come back as genuine and be activated.

All in all, I find it a lot quicker and easier than a clean install of OS and manual install of drivers and programs.

EDIT:
    Sadlmkr wrote:

Serious now and thanks to Kep for bringing it up.

"My touch screen works fine but is a half inch off from the pen point location."

THIS IS CLASSIC WRONG BIOS ACTIVITY IN WINDOWS.

I missed this post but OP figured it out.

In future Kep setting bios to defaults would have fixed this. Of course if you haven't done the GPS fix you might have to disable GPS then F10.

1. F2 to bios.
    2. F9 yes to accept
    3. Find Serial port portion of bios hit Enter
    4. Disable GPS w/ F6.
    5. F10 to save.

GPS part for unit with GPS.END EDIT

Thanks to Jeff for the info, help and guidance.

Have phun! :D

2. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    I've never been an "upgrade guy"... To me it just adds a bunch of files that you don't need and time I don't have.

What is the benefit of upgrading over doing a clean installation?

Azrial likes this.
  3. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    The advantage I see with an upgrade is that if you use the Vista restore disk, all the Panny drivers are installed already.
    Not sure why to bother with Vista SP1 though.

4. mklym

Reputations:
    Yes, Shawn, you are correct. All the drivers and programs are installed properly. Service Pack 1 is required by W7. If you do not install it the upgrade will fail.

Not only are all the Panasonic drivers and programs installed, but it takes much less time then a clean install with a generic W7 disc and hand bombing all the drivers and programs. At least it did for me. :)

5. Toughbook

Reputations:
    I've been doing it a long time I guess. I have every driver I already need in different folders, by model. I just zip through it. Well... It does take time but mostly downloading updates.

6. mklym

Reputations:
    Then you would be the perfect person to compare the two methods. Why don't you try the upgrade route on a unit and see how it compares to the clean installs you usually do? One advantage to the upgrade is that you do not need to 'babysit' the unit/install as much. :)

7. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    I can load that drive in 15 notes......
    I use a special mk3 image........It still needs a good coa though.

8. Toughbook

Reputations:
    I used to have a bunch of different drives that were sys-prepped by model and the way I had different models modded. I must have had 7-8 different drives. Everything was updated and all you had to do was to enter your name and the COA. Pretty cool.

9. Kep

Kep Newbie

Reputations:
    Okay I did the uprade on my MK2 and there were a few issues...
    1) No stand alone tablet calibration program in the control panel. Touch display works fine but it is just out of calibration.

2) Hot key for dimming and brightening the display will not adjust. Icon shows up on the screen when activated but does not adjust.

3) Had to uninstal the toshiba blue tooth utility as it was flagged as incompatible and allow a generic Microsoft drivers.

Note: I did a fresh install of Windows Vista before the upgrade to Windows 7.

Anyone have work arounds to fix any of these issues?

10. toughasnails

toughasnails Toughbook Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Welcome to the Panasonic Toughbook forum

Windows 7 has it's own calibration program but I just can't remember where it is :confused: but it's there. I had the same problem but just missed it. mklym will be around soon to tell you where it's hiding :D .