CF-30 MK1 Memory , HDD and W7 upgrade Info

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by SirJ, Jan 29, 2016.

1. CWB32

CWB32 Need parts for my flying saucer.

Reputations:
    ccfl lamps are more efficient than incandescent .
    regular florescent lamps require a filament on each end to vaporize mercury to provide some local ionization to make it easier to strike an arc in the lamp with a relatively low voltage .
    there are florescent lamps that do not have a filament ... they have a single electrode on each end and a high voltage pulse is used to strike the arc .
    the ccfl type are the little brother of the single electrode lamps ... same principle scaled down .

an advantage of ccfl compared to led back lighting is the continuous light over the length of the tube ...
    led lights are "spot sources" of light that require diffusion techniques to even out the light .

sometimes old technology is around because it works more easily than some other methods
    they still have not replaced piston engines in vehicles , as was touted "just around the corner" in the mid 70's .
    piston engines are still widely used in vehicles but they have been improved via metallurgy and electronics .

SirJ likes this.
  2. SirJ

SirJ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well i doubt the whole 15k hour usage has to do with the FN key making the display do what it did. I was able to fix it by chnging some display properties. Still waiting on the CF30 MK2 (FedEX ground!). Right now i am debating if i want to install the rubber keyboard on this CF30 MK1 I am typing on now or keep it the plastic key ( both light up) I find it much harder to type using the rubber keyboard BUT its upside is total water resistant, i just don't see that with this keyboard.

a buddy gave me microsoft Streets 2013 got that installed, working pretty darn well. the map GUI is not as fancy as say Google maps or Map Quest.

I am going to use Garmin MobilePC (Discontinued) was able to grab there update and some thing online to make it work.

3. CWB32

CWB32 Need parts for my flying saucer.

Reputations:
    i should have clarified/split my opening statement ...
    what i wrote about the cclfs and inverter being "long in the tooth" was not leaning toward an explanation for the the "blinking/blanking" of the display .
    it is more of a heads-up as to what is coming down the pike and something you might want to consider ... "foreknowledge is forearmed" .

currently i am thinking strongly about obtaining the ccfls that fit the display on the 30's and relamping .
    i can order them up out of china for a reasonable price .
    the inverters , as far as i have ascertained , only need the replacement of a couple of capacitors to put them back in good working order .

as i see it , there are a lot of '30s out there that are either still in service or nearing end of life .
    those that have dim/color shifted and/or strobbing/banded displays might be put up for sale .
    outside of the battery capacity dropping over time , the ccfls and inverters are about the only two major things that go bad , barring membranes and covers , etc ...
    the *guts* are not the big problem .
    at least if it is the display (et al) , there is a viable option or two available .

as for keyboard choices ...
    which type will depend primarily on what type of environment it will be normally run in .
    these machines were made as "working field/service/business" ...
    normally only the "big boys" could afford them , so the options that were available were geared toward the most flexibility/survivability in demanding environments .

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
    SirJ likes this.
  4. SirJ

SirJ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Something weird, I ran the Panasonic app called: PC information. It says the machine is windows Vista business. But the OS is windows 7 sp1.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2016
  5. toughasnails

toughasnails Toughbook Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    I have seen that before and we just guessed it was getting it from the BIOS where your Vista coa info was stored.

I also moved this post here for you

6. SirJ

SirJ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks! So how did we determine the bios was "custom"? Is it custom made from Panasonic like a custom order build or something?

7. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    Yes the BIOS was custom written for a specific customer.
    The M12 or was it M10 on the end of the version.
    Standard BIOS's do not have the Mxx (xx being a number.)

8. SirJ

SirJ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    M10

9. Truchmann

Truchmann Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys!

I have an old CF-30 (I believe it is a MK1) and I would like to have two operating systems, that is Windows XP and Windows 7, on it installed. Since it is impossible for Windows OSs to coexist on a single drive it would be plausible to add another drive to this toughbook. The idea is to buy and install an ExpressCard HDD or rather an ExpressCard SSD in the Toughbook for the second Windows making it possible to have two Windows (Windows XP and Windows 7) on the same toughbook. By mere selection which drive to boot from one can start either OS. The question is does this particular model support booting from such a card? And, will both XP and 7 do it? Maybe one should consider which type of the card should be used ExpressCard 54 or 34? Or there is no difference?
    Here the information about my CF-30

model no.: CF-30CAQCZBM
    serial no.: 7EKYA32197
    CPU type: Intel (R) Core (TM) Duo CPU L2400 @ 1.66GHz
    CPU speed: 1.66GHz
    BIOS: v1.00L14
    embedded controller: v1.00L16

What BIOS version fits best for the purpose? As an ExpressCard I plan to use something like this Wintec Filemate ExpressCard PCIe 128GB MLC 1.3 3FMS4E128JM-R
    https://www.amazon.com/Wintec-Filemate-ExpressCard-128GB-3FMS4E128JM-R/dp/B007PPZ33M#Ask
    Please advise that my model can support this?
    Thank you in advance for your kind help
    Sergius Vovk

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  10. toughasnails

toughasnails Toughbook Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Welcome to the Panasonic Toughbook forum
    Well for starters you have a MK1 and to run W7 you will need to upgrade the BIOS but when you boot to XP some things like your touchscreen will not work do to upgrading the BIOS.

UNCNDL1 likes this.