CF-30 CF-31 WIFI Thread

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Tishers, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Psychowolff

Psychowolff Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks CWB, I was a 5937, replaced boards, soldered connectors, and the occasional diode or resistor. The intelligent side of the Corps. (Still read it slow and carefully but I can do it without moving my lips now! ;) )

I am looking to improve reception in my RV and I can make a dedicated antenna for the dock, so when in the RV the dock could have a directional yagi for it or something. When IN B&N, McD's, or something, I should get a great signal with the performance card and decent Taoglas, it is when at the edge of the campgrounds, parked far away or something I'm concerned with.

My brother moved to the country and has 'Impact Wireless' internet. It is basically a high powered WiFi that goes off of the cell towers and his is 25 miles away but he still gets ~20M download speeds. Anyone familiar with/Have experiance with them??

Thanks for all the Info!

2. CWB32

CWB32 Need parts for my flying saucer.

Reputations:
    i started out as a brass pounder and wound up (eventually) in crypto/intel ... a few MOS' under my belt (even a couple of disparate ones) .

those cell tower data costs are pretty high ... 10 bucks a gig on average .

a small yagi , say 6 element , should provide decent gain for the job at hand .
    (the owners could always daisy chain wireless repeater units to provide decent signal for all involved) .
    i would figure out a way to use a "poor man's repeater" ...
    you use a decent yagi and use it to feed a simple vertical antenna inside your rv .
    in this manner , a larger size of coax can be used instead of that 22GA stuff ... much easier to work with .

about the types of coax ...
    your runs will be short and thus cheaper to build .
    https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/2-4ghz-coax.170484/
    http://www.w4rp.com/ref/coax.html
    http://www.rfconnector.com/rf-cable-guide.php
    etc .
    for example , LMR 400 has a loss of around 6.8db per 100 feet but is fairly easy to work with ...
    sooo ... 6.8/100 = .068db/foot .
    let's say there will be 15 feet between the antennas .
    .068 X 15 = 1.02db of loss .
    now we have an idea of what we are up against ... not much loss with that length of particular coax .
    (remember ; every 3 db cuts the available signal in half)

next , finding a decent yagi for the frequency band of interest for a decent price (you don't need scala brand antennas) .
    the first result upon googling(?) "2.4GHz yagi antenna" :
    https://www.amazon.com/Brands-Wireless-2-4GHz-Antenna-Booster/dp/B0054MLMLA
    personally , i would find something with an "N" connector instead of those small types ... "N" connectors are fairly standard and robust :
    http://www.amphenolrf.com/connectors/n-type.html
    and they "fit" the LMR coax nicely .
    the vertical radiator/antenna used inside can simply be a piece of brass brazing rod or 1/8-1/4 inch tubing of the correct length connected to the inner conductor of the LMR with 4 radials of the same material but 4 times as long connected to the outer braid .
    hang the antenna/coax from the ceiling in an out of the way spot , or dead center above the table .

some construction articles :
    http://www.dxzone.com/catalog/Antennas/WiFi/

if you want to move ahead with this idea , i will certainly be willing to help you out .

edit ...
    i am around fosston .

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017 at 7:34 PM
  3. SHEEPMAN!

SHEEPMAN! Freelance

Reputations:
    I have a "dish" on the end of the house pointing at a receiver +15 miles away.....then that array points at another mountain top...and from there relayed to the dot.com that hosts my internet and email. $135/quarter year. (three months) 1.45 Mbps down / .45 up. (right now....... I've seen numbers in b/s occasionally) Unlimited but very slow. We have a change coming they say but my problem is the house receivers just won't hack it. They were waiting on new home antennas last I heard.

Telephone lines are state of the art for 1955. At least there is two wires now but not viable for Interweb.

Optionally I have a WWAN booster that gives three to four bars of Verizon 4G...and helps my cell service also. WeBoost. I leave the "Stupid" Phone's WWAN off but can use it as a hotspot in event the dish service goes down. (expensive)

4. Psychowolff

Reputations:
    CWB, I know where that is, I'll definitely take you up on the offer and plan a trip up that way this summer!! If nothing else just shoot the shi... Uh, breeze...

My brothers IP company is unlimited and about $50/month. It works well to stream videos while traveling with the family (moving) and when at home it is connected to the bigger external antenna, which gets its signal from the cell tower ~20 miles away.

I luv the multi dish antenna system, I was thinking of something similar. (Also thinking of using a bunch of CF29s/30s as motion detecting game cameras, but I Digress...) I have some property in Northern MN and would have to tap off a neighbors internet half a mile away. I have Fiber optic in the road running by the land and you can get Giga service if you want to pay that much, but only if I bring in Grid power ($25K) from the neighbors place... Not going to happen for a place I spend 3-5 weeks at a year...

My Digikey Taoglas antennas came in :) I picked up another pair of the 831s that Tishers suggested earlier in the posts and a pair of the 830 Dipoles that are slightly more gain and higher efficiency, they also have the MHF4 connectors and WOW are those things tiny!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017 at 1:43 PM
  5. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja

Reputations:
    I finally received the NGFF to mini PCIE adapter.
    I am going to test a 7260 NGFF card in the CF31 mk3 and see if it works.
    If it works, it will open up more options for wifi cards.

6. SHEEPMAN!

SHEEPMAN! Freelance

Reputations:
    Quick pic.

The "dish".
    The farthest peak is where the repeaters reside.
    dish.jpg peak.jpg

Psychowolff likes this.
  7. Psychowolff

Reputations:
    HEY!!! Why ya gotta say that?!? LOL I just dropped ~$60 for the AW card, antennas and cables... Received the Card yesterday, the antennas today, and the cables... well they are coming from China, Sooo...

Here are the new Taoglas I received today. I'm planning on using the ones I have in it now to replace the stock antennas in another laptop as the cables for the AW card are the MHF4 sized ones. No junctions, connections, or even tight/sharp bends for the signal to get caught in! o_O

Any thoughts on best placement for them? They are 'dipole' but have a fairly Omni (XY&Z) pattern.

Attached Files:

8. Shawn

Reputations:
    this is what I did.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SHEEPMAN! likes this.
  9. Shawn

Reputations:
    No worries.
    The AW160 is still the best card

10. Psychowolff

Reputations:
    I was thinking of removing the WWAN boards and cut a piece of stiff plastic/fiberglass to screw into their place so the antennas stay flat and rigid but don't have any metal to interfere with the signal.