CF-30 CF-31 WIFI Thread

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Tishers, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja

Reputations:
    I have 4- 5100 cards. But shipping to Russia will be more than you buying a card from Russia.

2. Santos75

Santos75 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So, I will try to find that 3rd antenna, thank you!

3. Santos75

Reputations:
    Thanks for you care, I gonna order it here - AliExpress.com, it has a free shipping to Russia.

Shawn likes this.
  4. Santos75

Reputations:
  5. Shawn

Reputations:
    Cards from a Dell work good for me.
    Cards from Hp and Lenovo will NOT work.

Santos75 likes this.
  6. Shawn

Reputations:
    A bump to aide the WIFI//BT discussion about CF19 mk6 that use the same combo WIFI??BT card as the CF31 mk3 that I worked on in this thread.

UNCNDL1 likes this.
  7. Shawn

Reputations:
    A new mod..

AW-CB160H----not a cheap card.
    802.11ac
    3 antennas just like the Intel 6300
    The CB160H uses different antenna connectors so short adapter cables are required.

20170414_205514crop.jpg

8. Psychowolff

Psychowolff Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I ordered 80cm MHF4 Cables (made for a Thinkpad 540) from the Ali site, good resource as you can't really find them in the US for whatever reason. Then I ordered some more TaoGlas antennas but I was wondering about that...

Would it be better to have the 2 Taoglas antennas in the top of the lid as usual and then mod an SMA external jack to put a Really decent antenna outside the laptop with a 2m cable? use a decent 5-7dB Dipole or maybe something directional? Would also make it easier to 'test' different antennas. Would it not being hooked up all the time matter much??

Been many years since radio school in the military ;-)

9. Shawn

Reputations:
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  10. CWB32

CWB32 Need parts for my flying saucer.

Reputations:
    " ... put a Really decent antenna outside the laptop with a 2m cable?"

it depends ...
    if the gain of the antenna is enough to overcome the insertion losses of the coax then , technically , it would be worth it .
    for example , if the insertion loss of the coax is 4db (read as -4db) and the antenna provides 3db of gain (over iso) , then you have a net loss of 1db .
    (yer runnin' backwards)
    many times the only reason a "good" external antenna provides an improvement is because of "signal access level" .
    if you use an iso antenna and get a reading of (say) -50db out in "free space , unobstructed" whilst inside you get -60db , this is an improvement of 10db ...
    soooo ... you have 10db of coax losses to play with until you run into the same level as running the device on internal antenna(s) inside .

making a "test" port ...
    in theory , one can make a simple combiner to allow two different antennas on the same input ...
    however , "simple" will also allow the two antennas to interact to a great degree and can actually cause a degradation in signal level (think phase cancellation) .
    the best way is to use an isolated and dedicated input (some devices have multiple inputs that offer a certain degree of isolation between ports) .
    if you want to get fancy (read expensive) you can use a "directional combiner/circulator with a reject port" .
    the simplest method that produces positive results is an rf switch (mechanical or pin diode switching , etc .) to select which input feeds the device .

leaving a port "open" ...
    all ports should be terminated with the characteristic impedance of the line/coax with a pure resistive device (no reactance ; capacitive or inductive) .

you might want to check on 7db of gain with a simple dipole .
    they are also a "broadside" device ... the null is off the ends of the antenna .
    a yagi , log periodic or phased colinear array will give gain and directionality ... not much directionality with a simple vertical colinear .

i started out as an 05B20 in 1974

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    SHEEPMAN! likes this.