CF-29 will Not Boot From CD/DVD ROM

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Dricher61, Apr 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    It sounds to me like the drive is not set up as Master. Even if the drive itself is a Panasonic, the drive may be cable select or slave.
    The drive is inside a caddy. That whole assembly is called the drive pack.

CD master

Can you put the hard drive in a different laptop or external case?
    Make the hard drive DOS bootable.
    If you can, then copy the entire xp cd to a folder on the hard drive.
    Reinstall the hard drive in the Toughbook.
    Boot to DOS from the hard drive.
    Run xp setup from the hard drive.

2. Dricher61

Dricher61 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Now I understand what you mean. The actual drive is a Panasonic Model UJDA750.

Thanks for helping me.

3. Dricher61

Reputations:
    You are correct. The CD drive show up as the slave drive. I reviewed the CD Master fix as I have the cd Drive out, I think that it would be easier for me to do the fix. I understand that will make the computer see the cd drive as the master drive.

Wow you toughbook folks are awesome!

4. Dricher61

Reputations:
    You are correct. The CD drive show up as the slave drive. I reviewed the CD Master fix as I have the cd Drive out, I think that it would be easier for me to do the fix. I understand that will make the computer see the cd drive as the master drive.

Wow you toughbook folks are awesome!

Edit: Can I use the existing drive (Panasonic Model UJDA750) with the modification?

5. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    Yes you can use the existing drive.

6. toughasnails

toughasnails Toughbook Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
  7. Dricher61

Reputations:
    I am back. It has been a few weeks and I am still trying to my CF 29 to work. At this time, I still can not get the CF 29 to boot to an operating system. I am also still unable to load any software through the CD/DVD ROM (this drive now shows as a "secondary master" in the Bios).

Here is a summary of what I have attempted to date:

--Confirmed that the Toshiba 100 GB. IDE hard drive works. I was able to load UBuntu 11.X, Windows 7 and Windows XP Pro. I did this by installing the Toshiba HDD on my old Dell Inspiron as the primary drive (Note: I re-formatted the HDD prior to installing each OS). All three operating systems loaded and ran on the Dell. With Ubuntu, the CF 29 would only boot(from F1) to the Grub menu. Windows XP, nothing happened. And finally, with Windows 7 the CF 29 would get stuck at installing preferences.

-- I borrowed a set of CF-29 recovery disks, my computer does not read them. (I need my own set. My CF 29 has a WIN XP PRO COA).

--The DVD/CD ROM Drive now reads as a "secondary master" in the bios.

--Is there any other method I can use to load an operating system on my CF 29 (e.g. I have USP flash drives and an USB DVD/CD RW Drive)?

I am not sure what else to do. Could I be looking at device/hardware problem? A bios problem? or motherboard problem?

Any and all suggestions/advice is greatly appreciated!

David

8. MasterBlaster2039

MasterBlaster2039 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Seems you have the same problem, i had a while ago, with installing Windows XP on an CF-M34 without cd-rom.

Best way to fix your problem is : insert your harddrive in the Dell Inspiron. FOrmat your harddrive with Windows 98SE or so. make it bootable to the dos prompt. Copy the whole XP cd-rom on the harddrive, in a directory like WinXPSET or so... Re-install the harddrive in the CF-29. Boot into DOS. Go to the winxpset directory and start setup or so. Can be that i forgot some things, but you can read my instructions in the CF-m34 topic i made some months ago on this forum.

Much succes !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.