CF-29 will Not Boot From CD/DVD ROM

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Dricher61, Apr 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dricher61

Dricher61 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello,

I recently purchased a Toughbook CF-29 (mk 2). I have installed a new HDD. It came with a Panasonic DVD/CD ROM. I have the original COA for Windows XP.

Here are the stats on my Toughbook:

Model: CF 29ETPGZKM
    Bios: v2.00L12
    COA: Windows XP Pro
    The Bios is not password protected

The Bios shows that the computer recognizes both the new HDD and the CD/DVD Drive. I set the bios to have the computer recognize the CD/DVD drive on boot up.

I am not able to get the computer to install Windows XP.
    The bios recognizes the new HDD (a Samsung 100 GB ide drive, unformatted) and the CD/DVD ROM (Original Panasonic product). I have the CD ROM listed first in boot order.

When I boot up with the Windows XP Pro CD, the computer either reports an invalid command.com or the screen will say "set-up is inspecting your computer's hardware," at which point the computer locks up.

I have consulted the CF-29 FAQ page and could not find any posts in reference to my questions.

Questions:

1. Is it possible to boot from a USB flash drive or CD/DVD drive?

2. Have I missed a step in the OS installation process?

3. Any other suggestions?

I appreciate your assistance.

Regards,

David Richer

2. toughasnails

toughasnails Toughbook Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    welcome to the toughbook forum. Your best bet is to get yourself the restore disks (3). it takes about 30 minutes to load XP. to load all the drivers can be.a real pain in the a$$. .

3. interestingfellow

interestingfellow Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    1.I don't think boot from usb was available until MK3. If it ain't listed in the bios as a boot option, then NO.
    2. NO
    3. Try a different install disk? Also, try an Ubuntu/Lubuntu live disk. If it boots and runs, then your XP disk might be damaged or inadequate.

Yes, get your hands on the OEM install disks.

Welcome, to the madhouse....

4. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    Personally I think you need to reinstall (Eject and then push it back in) the CD/DVD Rom. (Maybe clean the contacts!) Look to see if it is an OEM DVD. If not (and there are A LOT of bad ones out there!) then everything could be correct with the exception of your DVD Rom. A LOT of people swapped out the older CD Rom with a newer DVD Rom without making the correct mods. I can't tell you how many CF-28s & CF-29s I have bought where someone did that and it either wasn't recognized by the BIOS or was recognized but still didn't work with the OS.

Food for thought.

5. unclemack

unclemack Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I had to put the disc in the tray, set defaults in bios and then exclude everything else except the DVD/CD drive from the boot order. Then I shut down, closed the tray and restarted with the disc in. Mine's a Mk.5 and I loaded XP SP3 from a Dell disc on that one because the Panasonic restore discs for my other Mk.5 wouldn't work.
    Still took about 3 attempts though with changes to partitions etc. so there could have been something else going on that I was oblivious to...

6. ADOR

ADOR Evil Mad Scientist

Reputations:
    Do you have another harddrive to try out? Some of the newer Samsung harddrive have been giving us fits lately. You did say it was new.

If you want to try to boot from usb you will need a boot manager like PLOP and remove the cd/dvd drive and install a floppy drive.

7. Dricher61

Reputations:
    I want to thank everyone for the helpful responses. Unfortunately I am still unable to load XP. I have replaced HDDs in laptops and installed Windows OS before. However, this Toughbook is really living up to its name.

I created a boot disk (MS DOS). When I booted up the computer, it would not automatically read the boot disk in the CD Drive. I had to hold the F1 key down to get the computer to read the disk. A menu would appear; however, when made a selection I would get an "invalid command.com" response I tried a few DOS commands but always got the same response.

Another problem is that when the computer does not consistently boot to set up when I hold the F2 key down upon boot up. When I do gain access to the Bios, everything checks out fine.

So,

1. Do I have a bad/incorrect CD/DVD Drive (Panasonic DVD-ROM & CD-R/RW Drive Pack, Model # CF-VDR282) and/or do I have some other more serious problem (e.g. bad mother board)?

2. Is there some other component problem that I am missing?

Again thank you for all of your help.

DR

8. toughasnails

Reputations:
    Do you know what the model number of the cd drive is that is inside the drive pack ? It makes me wonder if its been replaced by the last owner. Mine is a Teac CD-224E

9. Dricher61

Reputations:
    It appears to be a single drive. I don't understand why it's labeled as a drive pack.

10. toughasnails

Reputations:
    Yes it is a single drive but what I would like to know is what is the model of the cd-rom inside it...this is mine .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.