CF-29 Ubuntu 10.4 Success

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by SHEEPMAN!, Jul 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SHEEPMAN!

SHEEPMAN! Freelance

Reputations:
    EDIT*Includes GRUB tweak and EVTEST tweak.*

Here we go. Downloaded Ubuntu 10.04 starting yesterday. Here are the results in a tutorial/suggestion format. Started a new thread so it wouldn't get overlooked by those that need a little help.

1.Reformat pen drive.

2.Burn Ubuntu 10.04.iso to the drive. (Not the right name but you'll find it.)

3.Restart

4.F2 for bios.

5.Navigate to HDD hit enter to expand and move the pen drive to the top.

6.F10

7.At little figure hit space bar.

8.Choose language.

9.F6 [Esc}

10. Add the following to the end of the GRUB line to prevent a black screen.

Do this later but before re-boot.
    For the above "beware the quotes" and it will NOT take effect without 'update-grub'.
    For the Touchpad do this:
    11. Do the mouse thing

Now for the touch.

$
    (hal isn't there. You will need to load it and re-boot)

Re-boot.

….......gives you the right names to enter into 69-evtouch.conf
    In the following watch the capital letters in TouchScreen. Important.
    ...the following contents.
    SAVE and exit and re-boot and enjoy.
    I'm running dual boot Mint and Ubuntu, got the Mint numbers dialed in from Mint evtouch.config and just moved them into the above section. Lots of reading, lots of help from Google and there you have it.
    This is Frank the Amalgabook (CF-29 Mark 3 with an 80 GB drive):GEEK:
    Edit: Plus three more.
    Keep reading. Tweaking is covered later on.:)

2. TopCop1988

TopCop1988 Toughbook Aficionado

Reputations:
    Great, Jeff; but is it really worth all the effort??? ;)

-TC, confirmed "MicroSerf"
    :GEEK:

3. SHEEPMAN!

SHEEPMAN! Freelance

Reputations:
    Sure it is. It keeps my mind young unlike the rest of me. Man against machine.

4. Azrial

Azrial Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Jeff, Thanks for taking the time to "self-certify" the CF-29 as compatible with Ubuntu 10.04! I have been wanting to install Backtrack, built on Ubuntu, for some time in a dual boot mode.

I have found the great majority of folks that do not like Ubuntu or Linux in general have not tried it. I would urge you to do so, if you only to run it from the setup CD. Which of course is a free download.

Even if you decide that you hate Unbuntu and never want to install it the Setup Disk makes a great diagnostic, test, partitioning, security, recovery, and forensic tool for working with Windows.

And all it will cost is the price of a disk and your time to download and burn the ISO to find out...

5. SHEEPMAN!

SHEEPMAN! Freelance

Reputations:
    The time included sleeping and working in the shop during the download which took 5 hours. Then a few bobbles here and there but the interchange of ideas in this forum even if they are "problems" helped pave the way for this. This is a one hour job with the USB in hand and loaded.
    Part of the CF-29's problem????is getting the initial video details straightened out. Otherwise no can see. Then move a couple of files (it helps to know where and what they are for the Touchpad and Touchscreen and you have made a start. The initial kick start is the frustrating part when it appears as if the USB key is not working (the black screen of death)but all it is, is there are not enough Panasonic Toughbooks using 'ix and they don't have the video drivers in place. The same goes for evtouch. If there were more calls for it I am sure the fine folks that freely give of their time to develop these programs would have it pre-installed.
    Plus it helps to have all the information for the task in one place. That is what I have attempted to do here and also in post#79 in Toughbooks and Linux. Just put it all together and go step by step. Mint 8 and early Ubuntu are not the same as what this synopsis covered. There are some similarities but trying to mix and match would be a mistake.
    I've been painting just now with a Wacom digitizer on a free program called My Paint. Pretty neat. I plugged the USB digitizer in and downloaded the program, started the program with no re-boots etc. and it worked great.
    I've had some people asking me about Ubuntu so since I knew zip I figured I'd take a look.
    Your welcome Az.:D

6. onirakkiss

onirakkiss Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thank u very much Gork!

worked like a charm on my cf-29.

Also u can use osx86 on a cf-19 and u have the better TOUGH-pad ;-)

7. SHEEPMAN!

SHEEPMAN! Freelance

Reputations:
    I used the psmouse.config because it worked it Mint 8. Would osx86 work in the 10.04?

What I mean is "what is osx86"?:D I'm just learning. But if it is better to use we should add it to the list for 10.04.

So we have 10.04 running with Touchscreen in Mark 3 and Mark 5.

Your welcome.

Jeff

8. NTTD

NTTD Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey don't knock it 'tell you try it!

On some machines the install is not for everyone, but it is so rewarding (for me at least) when you get something like this working. Like Gork! was saying it's good for the grey matter.
    Also on most machine it installs with little effort. Our TBs do take a little more effort though.:D

Ubuntu really is a cool OS, I hear the latest distribution has finally got to a usability level that works for the average everyday computer user.

Personally I like the Kubuntu distro. For those unfamiliar it's the same OS with a different GUI, which some prefer. This one was also an easier transition for the wife & kids (read, more "windows" like).

:notworthy:
    Many thanks and praises to Gork! for doing this. It's been a year or so since I've played around with Ubuntu, as soon as I get a big enough HD I'm gonna dual boot.
    (Actually I'm gonna try a tri-boot, 'cause I need XP too. Some of my apps just do not like Win 7)

9. SHEEPMAN!

SHEEPMAN! Freelance

Reputations:
    I entered what I thought were all the appropriate sections. Re-boot and no touch. Previously there had been "out of the box". But acceleration was off. Sat there for three minutes and thought "what did I miss?". The unmitigated satisfaction when it came to me that I had not loaded /xserver/xorg/input/evtouch. Loaded it up and fully expected the Touchscreen to be right on. And it was and my wife heard me whoop! from the garden.
    Rewarding ain't the word mate but it comes close.:wink:

10. mnementh

mnementh Crusty Ol' TinkerDwagon

Reputations:
    I think we have a new term here in the forum... from now on, whenever someone FINALLY gets it working after trying and trying... we shall say he GORKed IT!!!
    I know I don't have that kind of patience anymore... thank goodness some of us STILL DO!

mnem
    Patience, I'm told, was born in China...

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.