CF-29 Toughbook : Can I downgrade from XP to Win98SE?

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by MarkH27, Nov 1, 2019.

1. ADOR

ADOR Evil Mad Scientist

Reputations:
    I went back and looked on the Mk1's (the oldest 29 models) and seen windows 2000 and XP as the only two options from the factory. You will need to cross reference the hardware on the Model or Mark of the machine you want with comparable drivers for windows 98 even if it's not a toughbook driver. Going though several panasonic websites I couldn't find any 98 drivers. Even pulling up the CF-28 and 07 toughbooks I could only locate windows 2000 as the oldest drivers they had.

On booting from a external drive. In newer windows operating systems XP forward you can install to a external hard drive but you can't boot from it as one of the start up routines is to turn off all usb devices and then turn back on. Effectively killing the boot process. Their are work around for it. I don't have a lot of experience with 98 so I am not sure if it does that or not.

Best to get another hard drive caddy. OR get a cd drive caddy and put it into a extra CD drive case once you have 98 already loaded onto a hard drive to boot from that. Keeping your original XP install intact.

UNCNDL1 likes this.
  2. evenflow153

evenflow153 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If it doesn’t work(most defiantly) just stick with tried and true XP.

3. MarkH27

MarkH27 Newbie

Reputations:
    I went ahead and bought it. I wont downgrade to 98 from xp...i scooped it up because it was cheap and in immaculate condition. I dont think the floppy works though. I installed multiple floppies and its asking to format it (only option is FAT) and im saying yes but it cant format the floppys. They have content on them but so what. Even chosing to make a msdos boot disk isnt working.

Oh..and now that i have it, im.not a fan of the keyboard at all. Oh well.

UNCNDL1 likes this.
  4. evenflow153

evenflow153 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Is it black with rubbery keys?

5. MarkH27

MarkH27 Newbie

Reputations:
    Yep....are not all cf-29's equiped with the black rubbery key cover?

evenflow153 likes this.
  6. mklym

mklym Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    No. Some have backlit chicklet and some have chicklet with no backlighting as well as the rubber backlit.

Put the unit up for sale in the Panasonic buy/sell. If I lived in the US I would buy it from you, but shipping and exchange and duty would make it too expensive.

Selling this unit that you do not want will give you funds towards a unit off ebay that comes with w98 and can run your burner.

Options are good.

evenflow153 and UNCNDL1 like this.
  7. UNCNDL1

UNCNDL1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Keyboard easy to change and readily available

Sent from my CF-M34

evenflow153 likes this.