1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

CF-29 touchscreen recalibration

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by canuckcam, Apr 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. canuckcam

canuckcam Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I need to recalibrate the touchscreen on my CF-29 but for the life of me can't find the app to do so! Where is it!?! :confused:

2. Alex

Alex Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Does it not show up near the clock in the taskbar?

Alex

3. canuckcam

Reputations:
    Noo... the only Panasonic thing in the system tray is the Hotkey Manager.

4. rjenkins

rjenkins Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you go to Control panel then Mouse, you should have a Touchscreen tab.

There is a button in there to start the calibration sequence.

5. canuckcam

Reputations:
    thank you!

6. ohlip

ohlip Toughbook Modder

Reputations:
    Also in addition to that, you can go to util. and look for a touchscreen driver. From there, you can click the calibration tool.

ohlip

7. canuckcam

Reputations:
    just to bring this thread back up, I'm having some problems with my touchscreen now. Not that it doesn't work, but it continually loses partial calibration. That is, I calibrate it, works fine for about 10 minutes, then the lower half of the screen starts losing it - the pointer slowly moves further and further south from where I poke, but the top half is just fine!!

Anybody else run into this problem? I've tried to clean the perimeter of the LCD bezel with a thin piece of plastic thinking something might be wedged in there, but no luck.

8. Psych0Thrasher

Psych0Thrasher Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have had this problem on a few of mine, does you screen feel like it sags? because it seems like that's what it is

9. canuckcam

Reputations:
    yeahh... seems like the pointer accuracy slowly sags towards the bottom...!

10. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    Look for crap between the screen bezel and the screen and also crap wedged between the touchpad and the housing...

Psycho.... Yours is a different issue.

This brings up something that I've been wanting to ask. I have a laptop that was a prior PD laptop. It was a "Secure" build meaning that everything was locked down with Torx security screws so the average end user couldn't take it apart or remove the battery or hard drive. It is Touchscreen equipped and it is enabled in the BIOS... But no Touchscreen. I have two of them the same way.... Psycho has the same issue. I just installed a fresh OS via Recovery Disks so I know there is no driver issue. I did dig out a ton of crap between the bezel and the screen and also the obligatory donut crumbs from under the touchpad housing. Anyone have an idea where someone would do a hardware interrupt on the touchscreen? I cannot believe that ALL these Toughbooks have bad touchscreens.

11. Toughbook

Reputations:
    Anyone... Anyone....

The one I just sold went to a guy who didn't want a touchscreen... So I disabled it in the BIOS. I felt kind of cheap doing it that way as I like all things working on my Toughbooks...

The one I have now has a parameter error while the other one was just dead. On this one... You can move the cursor to the center of the screen and touch anywhere on the screen... The touchscreen immediately goes to the lower right corner. I believe this is a similar/same issue that Psycho was having... ALL these toughbooks can't have bad touchscreens. With the security screws everywhere... I would imagine they have been disabled somehow/somewhere...

Toughbook owner thoughts?

12. Rob™

Rob™ Toughbook Aficionado

Reputations:
    Why would anyone in their right mind not want a touchscreen??!?!? - Rick, it isn't entirely bad because if this guy ever calls you asking for a touchscreen upgrade in the future you can just re-enable it in the BIOS :D

13. Doobi

Doobi ToughBook DeityInTraining

Reputations:
    I can't imagine, as you, that so many touchscreens would be bad. BUT, I can see the touchpads being gunked up or damaged and what you are describing is similar to what I experienced with a bad touchpad, but in reverse. I could touch anywhere on the screen, but if I tried to move the cursor with the touchpad, it would jump to the lower right corner. Could a bad touchpad cause what you are experiencing maybe? And do you have a known working one to swap it out and test? I would believe a touchpad would go bad in a PD unit long before the touchscreen.

14. Toughbook

Reputations:
    I certainly have dug out a lot of gunk... BUt I've had much worse units from PDs and they work like a charm after cleaning up and de-gunking...

15. ohlip

ohlip Toughbook Modder

Reputations:
    A dum...Q? Have you try changing the ts pcb control board with known good working one? Lemme know.

ohlip

16. canuckcam

Reputations:
    Fixed!! Thank you all!! I took the screen apart and whoa there's a TON of junk sandwiched between the touchscreen and the magnesium bezel! Scraped some of it out, but it seems like the TS is glued to the bezel and I was a bit afraid of breaking it... but simply scraping out some of the dust and bits fixed the TS for now...

Now to play with the CF-30 that just came in!!! :) 29, you were fun but now there's a faster, younger, sexier Toughbook in the waiting to get out of the box and foam!

17. Psych0Thrasher

Reputations:
    I had a straggler cf-29 today that I had to activate in order for it to boot, and i was messing around with the touchscreen ( it was one of the ones that retreats to the bottom left of the screen) and low and behold the damn thing starts working out of the blue for no reason or at least i don't think i did anything special. But the bad news is that as quickly as it started working it went dead again but this time no responses at all (won't even retreat to the bottom) I'm kinda leaning to what the other guys are talking about with the touchpad being screwy because i've changed of few of those and the touchscreens work, but i wasn't totally sure if the touchscreen was working before i made the repair because i couldn't test the ts out due to the fact that the touchpad would just go nuts when i put the driver on it. when i get some time i'll switch out a touch pad of a unit with a working ts to a unit that doesn't and see if that makes any difference.

18. ohlip

ohlip Toughbook Modder

Reputations:
    I suggest to exhange a known good ts control pcb board if it will work or not coz on that pcb board their is jumper if I am not mistaken that may intentionlly disconnected to disable the touchscreen. I am not sure yet but it is a posibility. I will check later on the service manual if i have some time.

ohlip

19. Psych0Thrasher

Reputations:
    could anyone direct me to where i could find said PCB....? btw I like pictures, they make me smile.

Daniel

20. ohlip

ohlip Toughbook Modder

Reputations:
    Dan, When you open the Lcd LID of Cf-29. you will see two PCB board connected to LCD cable. The one with almost square shape is the TS control pcb board which is connected to a ribbon cable that came from the TS glass assembly and the longest reactangular shape one is the inverter board.

ohlip

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.