CF-29 touchscreen not working

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Zippy-Man, Aug 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zippy-Man

Zippy-Man Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    OK so i picked up a CF-29ETKCWKM just now. It says the touch screen is not working. I don't know why but they say it is not.

What could cause the touchscreen to not sense touch? I figured the wrong drivers but i think they are smart enough to know to try that. What else would cause the screen to not recognize touch but everything else works normal.

I am super excited about picking this up. It has built in GPS, is wireless ready and has bluetooth according to the model number. I am a little upset that i have to go from 1.5g of ram to 1.256g but i probably wont notice the difference anyway.

If it comes down to it I will swap my touchscreen over to that one if i need too. Also is that a huge job?

Thanks for your guys help. I am a toughbook addict now :)

-James

2. Alex

Alex Super Moderator

Reputations:
    James ,
    Wow, it looks like your new 29 has every desirable option.
    The first place to look for touchscreen issues is in the bios.
    Look for touchsceen enable/disable there.
    Next step reload drivers.

Alex

3. Rob

Rob Toughbook Aficionado

Reputations:
    James, that's a nice Toughbook... Make sure u get the emissive BL keyboard and the multimedia battery to sum it all up :)... I would just reload the touchscreen drivers and not mess with anything else.

Good Luck

4. TBtech29

TBtech29 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    the 29,18, and a few other models touchscreens have an issue where it will go erratic or just stop working and the only fix is a new ts,

5. Zippy-Man

Reputations:
    As soon as I get it I will look into the drivers and bios to see if i can get the touchscreen working.

Do the touch screens have a history of going bad. The TB looks like it is in good shape so i doubt it was abused so the touch screen wouldn't work.

I really hope it is just drivers or the bios. That would be awesome. If not I have to have a touch screen so screen swapping would have to be done or the touchscreen would have to be repaired.

Ya all the options are almost there I am super excited about it. I will install my 100gb hdd, 1gb of memory, my dvd/rw drive, card reader and new battery. After that all i need is a media bay battery and that super hard to find emissive backlit keyboard.

Thanks for the info guys.

-James

6. Zippy-Man

Reputations:
    Really what is the cost of a new touch screen. Only the touch part as the rest of it is working great.

I looked at the parts breakdown to see if i could find just the touch screen part # but didn't have any luck.

-James

7. Alex

Alex Super Moderator

Reputations:

There is a pcb located behind the lcd that the touchscreen panel hooks into on one side with a small circuit on it.
    Could that be defective?

8. canuckcam

canuckcam Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I guess someone finally bought that $599 CF-29 off eBay, eh? :) ... I asked about the TS and they said they tried the drivers already and it's not (since the other ones work) so this one is a tech special.

-Phil

9. TBtech29

TBtech29 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    there is a pcb yes, it rarely goes out atleast on the 29s, any issue that ive had with touchscreens that i thought was that pcb has been the ts itself.

10. Zippy-Man

Reputations:
    Well I picked up a touchscreen for it since that is probably what is. It does not come with the actual screen just the touch part. I hope i can just fix it without having to change the screen but i have one just in case. It has a few blemishes when off but they say it is not noticeable when on. I hope it is in good condition.

Since they were selling other models with the TS working i imagine that the screens are actually bad.

-James