1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

CF-29 touchscreen not working

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Zippy-Man, Aug 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zippy-Man

Zippy-Man Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    OK so i picked up a CF-29ETKCWKM just now. It says the touch screen is not working. I don't know why but they say it is not.

What could cause the touchscreen to not sense touch? I figured the wrong drivers but i think they are smart enough to know to try that. What else would cause the screen to not recognize touch but everything else works normal.

I am super excited about picking this up. It has built in GPS, is wireless ready and has bluetooth according to the model number. I am a little upset that i have to go from 1.5g of ram to 1.256g but i probably wont notice the difference anyway.

If it comes down to it I will swap my touchscreen over to that one if i need too. Also is that a huge job?

Thanks for your guys help. I am a toughbook addict now :)

-James

2. Alex

Alex Super Moderator

Reputations:
    James ,
    Wow, it looks like your new 29 has every desirable option.
    The first place to look for touchscreen issues is in the bios.
    Look for touchsceen enable/disable there.
    Next step reload drivers.

Alex

3. Rob™

Rob™ Toughbook Aficionado

Reputations:
    James, that's a nice Toughbook... Make sure u get the emissive BL keyboard and the multimedia battery to sum it all up :)... I would just reload the touchscreen drivers and not mess with anything else.

Good Luck

4. TBtech29

TBtech29 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    the 29,18, and a few other models touchscreens have an issue where it will go erratic or just stop working and the only fix is a new ts,

5. Zippy-Man

Reputations:
    As soon as I get it I will look into the drivers and bios to see if i can get the touchscreen working.

Do the touch screens have a history of going bad. The TB looks like it is in good shape so i doubt it was abused so the touch screen wouldn't work.

I really hope it is just drivers or the bios. That would be awesome. If not I have to have a touch screen so screen swapping would have to be done or the touchscreen would have to be repaired.

Ya all the options are almost there I am super excited about it. I will install my 100gb hdd, 1gb of memory, my dvd/rw drive, card reader and new battery. After that all i need is a media bay battery and that super hard to find emissive backlit keyboard.

Thanks for the info guys.

-James

6. Zippy-Man

Reputations:
    Really what is the cost of a new touch screen. Only the touch part as the rest of it is working great.

I looked at the parts breakdown to see if i could find just the touch screen part # but didn't have any luck.

-James

7. Alex

Alex Super Moderator

Reputations:

There is a pcb located behind the lcd that the touchscreen panel hooks into on one side with a small circuit on it.
    Could that be defective?

8. canuckcam

canuckcam Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I guess someone finally bought that $599 CF-29 off eBay, eh? :) ... I asked about the TS and they said they tried the drivers already and it's not (since the other ones work) so this one is a tech special.

-Phil

9. TBtech29

TBtech29 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    there is a pcb yes, it rarely goes out atleast on the 29s, any issue that ive had with touchscreens that i thought was that pcb has been the ts itself.

10. Zippy-Man

Reputations:
    Well I picked up a touchscreen for it since that is probably what is. It does not come with the actual screen just the touch part. I hope i can just fix it without having to change the screen but i have one just in case. It has a few blemishes when off but they say it is not noticeable when on. I hope it is in good condition.

Since they were selling other models with the TS working i imagine that the screens are actually bad.

-James

11. Zippy-Man

Reputations:
    How hard is it to change these screens? I would actually have to crack the lid open and change out everything.

You think I am in over my head.

-James

12. Rob™

Reputations:
    their not that hard to change if you take your time, use the proper tools (meaning go out and buy them if you don't have a good small screwdriver kit), and be sure to note witch screws go where as to not put them back in the wrong holes.... I've swapped tons of CF-29 screens and I've never had and issue doing so.

13. Zippy-Man

Reputations:
    Thanks. I hope it all goes well.

I picked up a emmisive backlit keyboard just now from a cf-28 it looks to be in pretty good shape. I stole it for $69.95 free shipping. I could not believe it when i saw it so i hit BIN in like 5 seconds. I have been watching for one and they always sell for around $200 which was just too much to spend on a keyboard.

Well the touch screen is on it's way and i hope the cf-29 is as well. I will look for my set of small screw drivers and if I cant find them well then it looks like it is time for a new set.

You know JB007Rules I never really read your name and thought about it but i did today and yes he does :)

So are you looking forward to Quantum of Solace with Daniel Craig?

I kinda like Daniel Craig as JB he seems more i dunno real. I love all the JB films :) cant wait for the new one.

-James

14. Rob™

Reputations:
    LOL, yea that's exactly what it is... I invented this screen name about 12 years ago when I was a huge James Bond fanatic (not that I'm not now, I just work 65 hours a week lol), but back then I had more time as a kid. Anyways it kinda just stuck and if you ever see JB007Rules on the internet floating around (theirs about 10 other areas where you will find me (especially on Howardforums.com)) or on Google, then that's me lol... the internet is a small world! :). I haven't deviated from this SN EVER lol.

BTW, I don't like Daniel Craig :/... he's.... just ... not... bond... :p. But I will obviously still see it the day it comes out, like I have since I first started watching in 1995 with Goldeneye

15. Zippy-Man

Reputations:
    Well Daniel Craig is ok i think he will be a good bond. It will just take time to get used to him.

I liked that he felt pain and was almost normal and not perfect. When he chased people they could almost get away and he struggled to keep up. I did not like it how he had nothing bond like tho.

I mean where were all the cool bond gadgets?

I loved all the Pierce Brosnan movies. When he was bond i loved it and was sad to see him go but it was time for a new bond i guess.

-James

16. Zippy-Man

Reputations:
    Oh ya what sierra WWAN card do you have? I noticed in the picture it showed MC????. I though it read MC5725 but i cant make out the numbers.

17. Rob™

Reputations:
    lemme check.....

18. Rob™

Reputations:
    CRAP, I can't check right now because I have the little switch on the front turned off and the laptop is at home (I'm remoted into it through my VPN :p)... I'll get back to you on that.

19. Zippy-Man

Reputations:
    Ok got my touchscreen in the mail today. Looks to be in pretty good shape maybe only 1 or 2 small scratches. Cant complain for $50 it was a steal for a working touchscreen. Now it has a screen protector on it but it is kinda scratched up.

I was thinking about getting a new one from ebay and read that toughbook recommended ScreenPatronous on ebay.

Are the ones on ebay as good as the original one? I would like to get an original but they are like $80 bucks.

-James

20. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    The stock protectors are a little thicker but screen patronous sells the reuseable/washable sticky-backed cling type.

Make SURE that you are careful when pulling out the old screen and installing the new one. Those thin ribbon cables don't take much to tear! ;)