CF-29 Touch Screen woos

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by dontliketoughbook, Sep 14, 2019.

1. safn1949

safn1949 I'm sure I'm on the wrong planet

Reputations:
    The Mk4 and Mk5 have a problem with the screens as do the CF30Mk1. Its fairly easy to fix if you know how and want to take it apart.

Question.. What did you pay for them,I expect they are high hours and with floppy drive and no dvd that's going to be a hard sell.

Problem 2. No recovery discs so restoring them is a lot of work. No GPS on that model.

UNCNDL1 and dontliketoughbook like this.
  2. toughasnails

toughasnails Toughbook Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    You said you had a few with working touchscreen. Take the HDD caddy out of the one that works and try it in one of the non working touchscreen ones and see what happens. It's worked in the past for me. I have a driver issue.

UNCNDL1, dontliketoughbook and mklym like this.
  3. dontliketoughbook

dontliketoughbook Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Good idea about pulling the caddy out and trying it another! At the moment I've got touch screen working on one, the very first one I loaded. The next 4 are not working and I got 2 more to test.

Personally I've got no money in these and my partner likely has very little, I just noticed the cheapest they are on eBay is $300 (functional & loaded) with a DVD drive but have a battery that is only assured it will charge, not hold so I figured I could get something decent out of them like I have in the past. I'll let you all know what happens when I try that drive bay in another one!

4. toughasnails

toughasnails Toughbook Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    You should try searching again because I can find lots of CF-29 MK5's for well under $150.00 and some with GPS. The 29's have dropped in price a lot the last few years. For under $300.00 you can get a really nice CF-30 or a low end CF-31.

Most seller's list their laptop batteries that way. It more or less covers the sellers rear end :p

evenflow153 and UNCNDL1 like this.
  5. dontliketoughbook

Reputations:
    The mk5's are consistent over $200 if they boot windows, with the touch screen anyway and the current trending price is $299. Nearly everyone under $200 only boots to bios, I could format these drives and sell them that way but I have a conscious. Either way, its no sweat off my back but obviously I'd like to make the most possible lol. Checking sold listings there are countless just sold for $300 range that are complete with dvd, chargers and batteries.

edit :

Hours vary greatly on the devices, some are 33k hours and others are under 10k

Swapped the drive of the working touch screen into one of the others and it still didn't work so the touch screens are in fact all dead.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    toughasnails likes this.
  6. safn1949

safn1949 I'm sure I'm on the wrong planet

Reputations:
    I'm sorry but $300 for a CF-29 is dreaming, they may be listed for that but you will never get that. I personally sold over $120,000 in Toughbooks on eBay.

Good luck with that. I literally can buy a CF-31 for that, don't go by what's listed.

UNCNDL1, toughasnails and Shawn like this.
  7. mklym

mklym Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I bought my 31Mk3 full load (i5-3320M GPS MC7700 DVDRW 8GB SmartCard camera,etc /420hrs and a deck dock w/keys) for $300. Can't see paying the same for a 29 regardless of mk or load. But others may. :)

8. dontliketoughbook

Reputations:
    I wouldn't pay $75 myself though I have no use for one. Searching ebay sold listings reveals countless cf-29's in the 300$ range (im including shipping of course) Not real sure what i'll ask for these but I always list buy it now (searching sold listings shows how much you lose on auctions) and generally I take most any offer that comes my way. I'm sure someone is going to get some good deals off these and I'm cool with that.

Theres also an annoying little update that needs to be hidden or it forever tries to install it

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  9. Springfield

Springfield Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    ^^^ You probably don't realize how ridiculous your ideas about prices seem to the experienced guys on this forum. As a newbie, try listening to the guys who made this forum great, not jump in ignorantly telling us how wrong you think we are.

<end rant>
    <ignore dontliketoughbook>

10. dontliketoughbook

Reputations:
    I'm not trying to argue about the price and I know I wont be getting much out these, like I said I just review the sold listings and trending prices . I did find a dvd drive in one which was nice and put it in the one with touch screen working so it can be listed, it cleaned up well. These screen shots show 2 listing selling 20 and 30 each of the cf 29's for near $300 so somebody must be willing to pay it, of course there is countless going for 100-200 in the mix as well but the mk5's or any with touch screens seem to do well. I've had much better luck the with cf-31 models though, I think they had the pen which I liked if I recall. Of course I know IM not getting near 300 for these (I didn't even plan on buying chargers) but Whatever they sell for I get half and I just put some time in, perhaps I'll list some with the docks & mounts to see how they do but regardless I'll be content and know they are loaded up properly on clean installs.

edit :
    I primarily only sell laptops on ebay for the last few years until lately, only get the tough books here and there. If you ever seen listings that have 2 laptops each that was me. I appreciate all the help from everyone, hope nobody's taking anything the wrong way.

Attached Files: