CF-29 Touch Screen woos

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by dontliketoughbook, Sep 14, 2019.

1. dontliketoughbook

dontliketoughbook Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi everyone! I generally sell a lot of laptops and various tech on ebay and have come across about 8 CF-29 models that were loaded with windows 7, not genuine, touch screens didn't work but are generally in good shape after I scrub all the Velcro goo! I've messed with various Toughbook models and when they are loaded and ready to go they are nice to have around but having to load them can be a nightmare!

So I loaded a clean install of xp in one while I downloaded all the drivers on a flash drive after maxing the ram out in a few because it didn't boot with a 2gb. After drivers touch screen was working but not on the left side of the about 1/2 inch which I've had happen to me on similar models before so I tried the calibration and it actually worked! Right away I started up on second one while the first one keeps updating, did the same process, installed the same drivers and the TS has no response, not in the apps either. I loaded two more, same thing, no ts! I've got them all updating hoping one will fix the ts but am confident it probably will not. They are all CF-29N with at the end and I loaded them identical, I also noticed on the first one windows picked up the wifi and didn't on the others. Any insight into this as i'd like to resell these for as much as possible and TS is going to hurt!

2. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    full model number please

3. safn1949

safn1949 I'm sure I'm on the wrong planet

Reputations:
    Mk5's so the TS problem is not unusual. But full model number as Shawn said so we can decipher what you have.

4. Springfield

Springfield Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If I recall correctly, the 29 Mk5's with 1 GB soldered to the motherboard did not have a touchscreen. I built several "maxed out" 29's putting 1GB ram in the slot for 2GB total, and swapping the top half with another 29 that did have touchscreen. However, 29's had a chronic problem with touchscreen failures that Sheepman (Jeff) knows how to repair.

UNCNDL1 likes this.
  5. safn1949

safn1949 I'm sure I'm on the wrong planet

Reputations:
    As do I. I'm curious if any are non touch units or 29P units minus WiFi.

6. dontliketoughbook

Reputations:
    They are all CF-29NAQGZBM and every one of them says touch screen in the bios and they are enabled. I'm also wondering if there is any easy was to tell if they have gps or should I just check if its in the bios as well? These all came from a police unit and were mounted on docks & swivel stand in police cars and are supposed to be identical, whoever installed windows 7 on them had no idea what they were doing as they installed none of the drivers. I actually thought 1.5gb was the max ram in these but I guess it needs to be taken apart to access the other stick so I wont bother with changing it but I will include a stick of ram with the sale when I get rid of them.

7. dontliketoughbook

Reputations:
    They all have wifi, backlit keyboards, modems & floppy drives as well. I've come across lots of various Toughbook models and its likely I will in the future, I wouldn't consider myself a troll I just like to sell my equipment as accurate as possible and not "well its touch screen and it might or might not work". I'm up to 3 with no touch screen response at all and the one that I first loaded which is working fine. I'm proceeding loading the rest to see the results.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2019
    toughasnails likes this.
  8. Springfield

Springfield Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    All 29's except the non-touch model have 512 MB soldered to the mobo, and 1 GB is the largest stick a 29 will recognize, and they only have 1 memory socket, so max memory is 1.5 GB. Probably they all have failed touchscreens.

9. dontliketoughbook

Reputations:
    Well that helps clarify things a lot! These all have one ram slot under the cover on the back and only recognized 1gb sticks in the slot. Odd that the touch screen would fail in a way that it exhibits zero response in any area of the screen instead of dead zones but it is what it is. I will list them off as dead touch screen models when I get ready to sell them so that my listings can be accurate, maybe I'll have better luck with the last 2! You all have been more than helpful as these things have taken up a lot of time already =-)

10. dontliketoughbook

Reputations:
    #4 With no touchscreen response, geez these must of been junk screens on this model. I've been through several earlier CF-29 models and the touch screen did work on those, must of been a better screen in the earlier MK versions.