CF-29 Everyone told me not to do it!

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Azrial, Jan 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xboxhaxorz

xboxhaxorz Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    i got a cf 29l mk4

it had a gig of memory = 1.25 i got a 2gb hynix chip from a friends dv6000 to test and it gave me 2.25gb so i offered him $15 for it

i was prepared to by the crucial that was mentioned, but since this worked i find no need. just wanted to post even cheapo memory works.

2. r1nick

r1nick Newbie

Reputations:
    Forgive me if this has already been answered (it's late, long day, blah blah, will read tomorrow :) )

Trying to spice up my CF29NTQGZBV-BP with the Crucial memory (same as on page 2), but not having much luck. I can't get past post screen, however it is seeing at least 1.5gigs. There are some more numbers after the main model number (see attached pic) and I'm having a hunch that this latest revision for this model number just plain isn't compatible.

Any advice is appreciated.

Attached Files:

3. toughasnails

toughasnails Toughbook Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
  4. Alex

Alex Super Moderator

Reputations:
    It will fail ,as adding 2GB to your mk-5 touchsceen 512MB RAM O/B model will not work
    As it's been pointed out throughout this thread that the magic happens only with a mk-4/5 256MB O/B non-touchscreen model

A 1GB module will work fine ;)

5. Azrial

Azrial Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Wow! Over 20,000 views! :D

6. Driller

Driller Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    those cf-29 mk 4-5's with the 256mb onboard are said to be "rare". I don't think they are that rare as they probably were the "lower priced" base models and as luck would have it were Azrialized with the 2GB crucial ram. Among other brands that work as well, but so far no failures using either the 5300 and 6400 ram with the crucial........Driller

7. Azrial

Azrial Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Absolutely! These were the "cheaper" CF-29s! Which is the real reason that these models don't come from the factory with Touchscreens.

However Gork! has proved that they can be retrofitted later and it had no effect on the RAM.

8. r1nick

r1nick Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the help, I should have kept reading :p

I see the 256mb boards have the Intel 855 Chipset, is mine different? Or just more memory and touchscreen?

It would be cool if I could disable half my memory for this upgrade, kind of like how ATI disabled some of the graphic pipe lines on the ATI X850 XT to make them into the X850 PRO models :)

9. mnementh

mnementh Crusty Ol' TinkerDwagon

Reputations:
    It's been attempted on a couple models; no joy. :(

mnem
    Yer pipes are broken!

10. stumo

stumo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So... Has anyone tried using SPDTool to turn their 2GB sodimm module into a 1.5GB module, so that you still get 2GB total on a 512MB internal board?

Even better, make it 1.75GB then the video RAM will use the unusable 256 above 2GB and leave you with a full 2GB for OS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.