CF-29 Everyone told me not to do it!

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Azrial, Jan 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azrial

Azrial Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    But, hell I had to try! :eek:

I am just going to blurt it out, I tried a stick of Cosair RAM that I got on sale in my CF-29N, and it not only booted, it seems to be running fine. But, how to know?

In Windows 7 Pro it shows 2.25 GB of RAM, I have only 256 on my mainboard, and 1.99 of total "usable" installed memory.

Perhaps, I just got lucky, or it could be because I only had 256MB on the mainboard, or maybe I will have problems later. :mad:

So, I am looking for a good RAM checking program that will let me know if this is working as well as it seems. Any ideas?

2. h3lpmedic

h3lpmedic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I suggest running some burn-in test that will put heavy loads on your computer just to be absolutely sure it is stable. It would suck if you were doing somthing important in the future and the computer bombs on you. Grats on the early success.

Try PassMark BurnInTest

3. Springfield

Springfield Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    MemTest86 works for me ...

4. KLonsdale

KLonsdale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This will let you know if there problems with the ram. Good Luck sounds like you bit the bullet and got lucky.

5. Azrial

Azrial Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Not to complain but I wonder why only 1.99 is listed by Win7 as "Usable?" Perhaps the mainboard is shutting down the internally mounted 256MB some how? But Win7 sees all 2.25 GB.

6. Alex

Alex Super Moderator

Reputations:
    MemTest86 and report amount of ram shown in bios
    On-board Video takes some of the total

Alex

7. Azrial

Azrial Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah, but does it make sense that a whole 256 MB is used for video memory? It was never set like that before. I will have to validate my Win7 before seeing how my BIOS is set, my 30 days is up tonight. :D

8. Alex

Alex Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The reason that I thought only up to 1GB add-on ram was supported was I looked in the bios on my mk-4 and 2GB would only add 1GB extra
    Tried on my cf-18 Mk-5 as well
    Never thought to see what windows reports

Alex

9. Connor922

Connor922 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So we have now established that the CF-29 MK4/5 can handle above the max 1.5GB we always thought, is that what Im understanding?

10. willpelton

willpelton Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    azrial I bet you could really help me, I have a cf29ndlgfbm mk5. I put the western digital 320g hd the other day no problem, then I put windows 7 on board. I got win 7 ultimate complete not the upgrade. I am having driver problems now. no audio and no function key. I ordered a ddr1 pc3600 ram only to find out it will not fit. the guys told me what to order in my other post. now I am thinking if you got a 2gb to work I might be right there with you and try it also. I was going to PM you but I do not see a link to do that. can you advise me on driver downloads. I can not get anything to work with win7

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.