CF-29: COM1 does not appear in device manager

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by peteburch223, Jul 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peteburch223

peteburch223 Newbie

Reputations:
    I have recently picked up a CF-29 which appears to run perfectly, except that the COM1 serial port does not appear in device manager, and when I try to access it with my navigation software (MaxSea) I get an error indicating that the selected serial port is in use.

I have enabled this port in the bios (in order to test that the bios controls worked I disabled and re-enabled LPT1 to make it disappear/reappear in device manager - it did).

I have tried the comDebug utility to try and diagnose the problem, but get 'failed to open COM port' when COM1 is selected...

Looking in the resoures view of the device manager, I see no IO memory map entry for the serial port....

I've looked at the repair manual, and whilst I could readily make an RS232 loopback port, I don't have access either to the test bench software or a floppy drive.

The serial port was a key selling point for the CF-29, and whilst I could probably use an RS232-USB dongle to work around the issue, I would prefer to solve the problem at source.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is anyone aware of low-level software that could help me to find out what is going on here?

Many thanks in advance, Pete

2. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    Pete... Welcome to the forum... I have never seen the GPS show up on COM1... It is usually COM3 on the CF-29.

Can you list your full model number? Should look like CF-29XXXXXXX.

Thanks,

Rick

3. peteburch223

peteburch223 Newbie

Reputations:
    Rick

Thanks for your reply. In fact my CF-29 does not have a built-in GPS - I am on a sailing vessel and intended to connected to the NMEA 0183 output of the onboard instruments (inc GPS) to the Toughbook via RS232...however this doesn't work. My assumption is that this is linked to the fact that the COM1 port does not appear to be visible to Windows XP SP2

The model number: CF-29NDLGFBM.

Many thanks in advance

Regards, Pete

4. Toughbook

Reputations:
    That's not something that we actively do here... But not to say that it cannot be done. I would think you would need the schematics for your onboard instruments and then fab up your serial cable. You might even need additional software. It's hard to say without having everything in front of me.

You do have a nice laptop though...

5. peteburch223

peteburch223 Newbie

Reputations:
    I don't think that the problem is related to the external system....

A quick question for you. If the serial port is enabled in the BIOS, what reasons might there be for it not appearing in the device manager? I think that this is the root of the problem....

Regards, Pete

6. Toughbook

Reputations:
    A few things....

Is the equipment you are trying to hook up made specifically to be hooked up to in this manner?

Did the supplier furnish the connecting cable?

Reasons? Wrong connections, COM port conflicts... A whole host of things...

7. rusty503

rusty503 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Let's start with the basics. First, in BIOS set both serial ports to AUTO. It is very possible you have a conflict with the port and IRQ number. Setting this to AUTO should alleviate conflicts. Hit F10 and save changes. Reboot with NOTHING hooked up to any port. Check Device Manager again to see if the port shows up. If you still have a problem, reply here listing all the ports you see in Device Manager. Other possiblities include a bad install of the OS. What OS are you running? You said you just picked this one up. Did you get it from a seller on eBay or something like that? The previous owner may have been tinkering with the internal guts.

8. tough-2-go

tough-2-go Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Your unit has the cingular GPRS sled which grabs two com ports. I have seen issues where the modem conflicts with the onboard serial ports. What I would do is remove the modem (after removing all power including battery) Then go into the BIOS and set everything to default. Enable the serial port A only disable all others. Then boot into Windows and see what comes up in the Ports COM and LPT in device manager. Also on the CF-29 sometimes the port may not be assigned to com1 as you would expect so try your software on whatever port number appears in device manager. Once you get your software working then reinstall your modem.

9. TopCop1988

TopCop1988 Toughbook Aficionado

Reputations:
    CF-29NDLGFBM DESCRIPTION:
    Intel Pentium M 778 1.6GHz LV (Centrino), 13.3" NON Touch XGA, 256MB, 60GB, Intel 802.11a+b+g, Win XP SP2, HSDPA, Dual Pass Through, Emissive Backlit Keyboard, TPM1.2, No Optical

The same unit I have; and it's "2.0GB RAM upgradable." :)

Just checked my Windows System and it shows COM1 in the list.

Actually, my system has COM1, COM2 and COM6, then COM8 for the HSDPA WWAN card, RIM Virtual Serial Ports on COM4 and COM6, then Toshiba BT Serial Ports on COMs 6, 8, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 20 and 21 (from the Billionton v2.0 +EDR Bluetooth PC Card).

Did you load Win XP Pro yourself or did you use the Panasonic Toughbook CF-29 Mk5 Product Recovery CDs?

10. denrosten

denrosten Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have exactly the same problem with the same model of CF29
    I removed the sled and reset the bios to default, but still no joy :eek:
    Running XP pro

I ended up with an usb to serial cable, works ok

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.