CF-29 (and others) halt on suspend issue under linux

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by kln_nurv, Sep 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kln_nurv

kln_nurv Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi. I've been trying to get linux working on my cf-29 mk4. My machine has celeron m 1.6ghz, 1.5gb ram, a touchscreen (totally dead) and intel 2915bg wifi. I currently have a 40gb hard disk in it which I swapped from my cf-18. The issue is, as the title says, the halt on suspend issue. I have been searching on and off for a few years how to solve this issue but I have found only 1 other cf-29 owner with the same issue but was unable to contact him. My googling and my own experience (cf-w7 i think) seems to suggest this issue is overall quite rare but affects multiple models with intel 9xx chipset.

I have tried many versions of ubuntu, debian, centos, backtrack, crunchbang, etc with kernels 2.4 through 3.x. Exerything works, including compiz (take that, windows aero!), except suspend.

When I close the lid, the power stays on but the screen goes blank. Opening the lid, the system is completely unresponsive and has to be hard shutdown. About 5 years ago I found a thread suggesting that the issue might be related to graphics or wifi holding back suspend but I never managed to get anything useful from my logs.

I know the hotkeys sometimes need manual configuration, and in some distributions suspend simply doesnt exist until a suspend script is created. I can figure that out later. What I need help with is this freezing issue. Thanks in advance. Long time panasonic user but new to the forums.

***Correction: my wifi card is intel 3945bg, not 2915.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  2. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    Welcome, I am not experienced enough in Linux to be of much help.
    I am sure one of the other members will be along shortly to assist.

3. CWB32

CWB32 Need parts for my flying saucer.

Reputations:
    i do not own a '29 ... have you tried mint 9 , 13 or 17 ?

4. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    I will send one of the Linux guru's this way later on.

5. kln_nurv

kln_nurv Newbie

Reputations:
    I have tried Mint 9 and 10.

Thanks. I should mention that this issue does not affect windows for me. I have actually had a pair of W7's in the past with only one of them misbehaving under linux. I never figured that out either.

6. SHEEPMAN!

SHEEPMAN! Freelance

Reputations:
    I'll check into it and get back to you.

What is your preferred OS right now?

7. kln_nurv

kln_nurv Newbie

Reputations:
    I use kali linux a lot for work. Personally any 'modern enough' ubuntu based distro would be fine but I would like to avoid mint because of their security issues. I only need 1 xp machine, and my cf-18 is doing that job fine. Best case scenario is someone has a workaround that can be applied to several different linux distros.

8. kode-niner

kode-niner Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What happens if you type sudo systemctl suspend

9. kln_nurv

kln_nurv Newbie

Reputations:
    I dont have the systemctl command available in backtrack 5, which is currently installed. I'll see if its available on any of the bootable CDs I have. Does suspend work properly on your cf-29 mk5?

10. kode-niner

kode-niner Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I haven't used it in a while, but it did. I don't have hard drives loaded in either of my 29's at the moment but I ran Debian or Kali on them at one time or another.

Backtrack 5 is a bit old and it uses SysV init, so no systemd for you. It probably wouldn't hurt to upgrade to Kali or something else a bit more up to date.

I'd try
    Code:
    pm-suspend
    or
    Code:
    pmi action suspend
    and see how your system reacts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.