cf-28 internal port (cn18)

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by stan.distortion, Nov 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stan.distortion

stan.distortion Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Caddy, link came up as an empty cart for me, could just be my browser though. Just in case:
    http://sg.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?sku=3352687
    2.1 meter reel. I don't think I will be needing 10 meters of the stuff :)
    Toughbook, I can't see it being worth ordering in bulk so I'll order a length from here if all goes well.
    cheers

2. ohlip

ohlip Toughbook Modder

Reputations:
  3. cadillac

cadillac Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  4. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
  5. RumGod

RumGod Newbie

Reputations:
    hello all been look around for sometime thought i would start asking some ?

Stan 1. have you statring on your new board/ if so where are you at?
    2. can you get USB out of the rim board?

Rick your fingerprint scanners can you put them in the IrDA port?
    thanks all
    Kyle

6. Modly

Modly Warranty Voider

Reputations:
    We're not very far on the board right now. All of my work is on my dead desktop, and I didn't send my progress to anybody before it died.

We should have USB capabilities pretty fast though, which may be on the 1st revision board. The second revision board though will have more goodies, but it will be a while before I get prototyping work started.

Stan may have progress on his own design, and he did have some good work started already. No promises on when it'll get released though.

No clue about the finger print scanner, but that's a good idea.

7. stan.distortion

stan.distortion Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Taking a break from swearing at the assembly language for turning a pcb layout file into cutter movements to write this :) Will have basic controls done before the new year, then have to make mountings to fit a wood router as dremels don't have the accuracy in the spindle bearings to cut 0,5mm pcb tracks (big surprise there, 0.2mm runout at the tool tip).
    Still on schedule so should have a definite yes/no by the end of the first week in January.
    For the USB on the RIM board, I don't have one but it will be possible to hack into the USB lines, how easy will depend on the track layouts though.
    cheers

8. ohlip

ohlip Toughbook Modder

Reputations:
    If your rim board has 50c ribbon ca. i say, yes! you can hack it right there. As i have the daughterboard which i think is the same as rim board, I already traces the usb terminal and the good news is that there is a tiny pin hole to each terminal and it is good sign to start.

9. tough-2-go

tough-2-go Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So the question to stan is have you been able to get any device recognized and operable by tapping into the USB lines on the CF-28 CN40? Has anyone ?

10. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    I posted in the GPS thread... I received the ribbon cables from Farnell. They are a match but they are over twice as long. I guess that means that I can cut them at least in half if not into thirds to stretch my money. I had boodered up the end of a ribbon cable so I cut the factory end off. I had a drink of Jack and sat there thinking about how to put the factory finish/end back on it. I ended up puting it into my vise and letting about 3/16" stick out above it. I started running a little 800 grit sandpaper over it to expose the wires inside. It worked well but still had some plastic on it. I used one of my "Magic" solvents to take off the rest of the plastic. I used a little tape to build back up the "factory edge" so the connector would bite it to make the contacts... And it worked! It didn't look like it was factory but it works just as well as the factory end!

By the way... The fingerprint scanners are a little too long to work in the irda location. If someone seriously wants to try to mod it I will send one to them. The FIRST thing they should do is to see if they will even work. In reading some eye wash on the Internet about them... I've seen it written that they only work with 2 of Dell's laptops. I haven't had the time to try it on anything else. Before digging away in the guts of the CF-28... I'd try to see if it even works by plugging it in the USB. The first person to PM me gets one... BUT... You MUST write a tutorial about the installation if it works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.