cf-28 internal port (cn18)

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by stan.distortion, Nov 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. klboo

klboo Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  2. cadillac

cadillac Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have and use most of the major CAD software ProE – AutoDesk – SolidWorks – MasterCam for one of my little businesses manufacturing over seas.
    MasterCam – X is what I like for the type of work Stan is doing, I know they have a newer version out X-2 or something but I have no experience with it.

3. ohlip

ohlip Toughbook Modder

Reputations:
    My improvised board for cn(18) is ready just waiting for a module. Maybe a couple days more and here is the screen shot from Cf-m34 using the usb gps receiver but installed internally, same type of installation probably i'm gonna do to my cf-28.

4. gravitar

gravitar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    They upgraded the computers at school last semester.. To a newbie like me it didn't seem any different. I think it is just a service pack upgrade.. probably bugfixes and what not.

5. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    Well... I wasn't paying attention I guess... My order from DigiKey came in. It5 wasn't what I was expecting. I now have 25 Ribbon cable connectors instead of 25 ribbon cables! !@#%$!

I wanted/needed the ribbon cables! Anyone know where to scrounge that? I though I saw someone post a link but I can't find it now. I guess I'll try to return these to DigiKey. I looked on their site for the ribbon cable. I guess I'm not entering the correct keywords because they don't show it. I can't imagine they would sell the conectors and not the ribbon cable.

These little SMD connectors look too small to solder... By a long shot!

On a more pleasant note. I just soldered the MMCX connectors I got. I want to try out the antenna from GPS Online to see if it is close in reception to the JDG one. They aren't hard to solder if you have a small enough tip. Just make sure you have presoldered the center conductor. I didn't use the crimp connectors... I just soldered the braid to the outside and wrapped it with the included shrink wrap.

I'll try out the other antenna in a bit.

I just got parts in... I have to lay them out and stare at them for a while! ;)

Anyway... If anyone knows a close source for the ribbon cable... Please let me know or post a link

6. stan.distortion

stan.distortion Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Sh...ugar. Someone is going to need them anyway, I should need some in a few weeks, I have the power stage working ok now anyway.
    Here is a link for the cable from a UK company, there is a link for the datasheet on the page so it should be possible to find a US supplier from the part numbers.
    http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/br...Ntt=50+way+0.5mm+ribbon&Ntx=&_requestid=92107
    It may be worth getting self-adhesive backing tape for where the ribbon goes into the connector at the same time. I would still be up for 5 lengths or meters if you get a roll.
    cheers

EDIT. For soldering the connectors, putting the connector in place with a bit of powdered solder and flux paste under each pin and heating to around 260 deg C with eather a heat gun or hot plate works well. Sparkfun have some very good howto's on it.
    Another method that a lot of folks report as working well is to solder along the length of the connector paying no attention to individual pins. When the whole thing is soldered go back along with de-soldering braid. Once the excess solder is removed the joints are usually well separated.

7. klboo

klboo Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  8. Toughbook

Reputations:
    Well... I just ordered 10 of them. I didn't want to go too crazy as I don't want to blow a ton and then find out they don't work for whatever reason. I'm not sure how long they will take to get here. They will probably take that long, slow boat.....

9. Toughbook

Reputations:
  10. cadillac

cadillac Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.