CF-28 Internal PCM CIA Slot???

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Toughbook, Jun 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. inbredmonkey

inbredmonkey Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    never mind found the 24", But what pcmcia card do you guys have f that will fit in the "hidden slot? I'm curious? I have gps on my treo 650, which is also bluetooth, wonder if microsoft streets and trips will work through that lil gps unit?

2. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    Cisco makes the wifi card... They sell for about $20 US when they come up on ebay. But your best bet is just to buy a regular mini-pci wifi card on ebay and get rid of the modem.

3. inbredmonkey

inbredmonkey Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    sorry, i already have the mini-pci coming i was talking about the the bluetooth pcmcia cards, which ones fit into the hidden slot?

4. DJACID

DJACID Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    the cisco cards vary in prices, the air 340 go for the 20usd mark as toughbook says but if you get the air 352 then ur talking 100usd,
    also bluetooth cards are very hard to come buy that exactly fit........
    read up on previous post about it for more idea on what to use.......

5. cadillac

cadillac Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Where is the best place to get the 24" U.fl to SMA pigtail?
    Thanks

6. Modly

Modly Warranty Voider

Reputations:
    Netgate

Keep in mind... It's not a bulkhead fitting, so you may need to source your own nut.

7. cadillac

cadillac Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Cool Thanks Modly. Do you have any suggestions for the internal antenna or is this a waste of time with the magnesium case? The card I’m looking at is designed for two antennas.

8. Modly

Modly Warranty Voider

Reputations:
    Well, I've been able to receive semi decent signal with a paddle type (Enough to get signal within 40 feet of the router, so works for my computer room), but to go outside of the house, I need an external.

However... I do have a pretty hardcore and hacked router, so perhaps I'm getting the amount of signal with my internal antenna just because of that. With my 5.5db antenna, I can get signal across the street, and my router is in the basement in the far rear corner of the house, which is surrounded by air ducts.

Depends on how you want to do it honestly, if you want something you can use on your desk near a wireless router without setting up the antenna then go ahead and use a paddle type internal and an external hookup. If you plan on all distance computing, I'd just hook up two external antenna connectors.

If you plan on having the computer mounted in your car, use one for a 5.5-9dB antenna, then one connector for a roof or window mount antenna.

9. neverguessme2001

neverguessme2001 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,I just got finished installing internal wireless to my cf-28.I used a atheros mini pci card and antenna out of a trashed toshiba laptop.This works awesome!!! I removed the dial up modem and used that slot for my card.I then drilled a small hole between the hard drive and battery to run my antenna wire .I placed one antenna at the end of the battery at the plastic corner and taped it in place and coiled up the excess wire and taped it together and stored it under the battery flap.I taped up the end of the other antenna ( to prevent shorting out) and took off the ethernet-phone side of the laptop exposing the "hidden"pcmcia slot and placed the antenna end and the taped coil of excess wire right into the unused slot.This works great and was a very simple wireless conversion!

10. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    Why did you drill a hole? You can slide the U.fl connector right under the back cover and it comes out right beside the mini pci slots.

Glad it works for you though...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.