CF-28 Internal PCM CIA Slot???

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Toughbook, Jun 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    Can someone tell me if the CF-28 has an internal PCM CIA card slot? I replaced my motherboard recently and, for some reason, didn't notice it. Today I was taking apart the laptop to do some internal work and reroute a few wires. I noticed a black piece of plastic sticking out from under the motherboard. I pushed it back in to see what would happen. (I couldn't see what was under there.) I went to my shop to look at the old MoBo and saw what it was. It looks like a single internal PCM CIA card slot. BUT... There's no way to put anything in it unless you take the MoBo completely out.

Does anyone have an idea what this is used for?

2. Toughbook

Reputations:
    Ooops... Nevermind... It's for an internal Cisco Aironet 350 wireless card.

3. Toughbook

Reputations:
    Hmmm... Looks like a PCMCIA bluetooth card would fit in here... An easier hack than I thought!

4. jviss

jviss Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    That's very interesting. I just got a CF-28 (haven't received it yet) which has a 56k modem, 10/100, and GPS, but no WiFi. Do you know what wireless card does inside, and if I need to remove something in order to install it?

Thanks.

5. Toughbook

Reputations:
    I removed my modem in order to install the mini-pci wifi card. I'll never use dial-up anyway. When you get the laptop... Can you please look to see where the GPS is located in the CF-28? (I have a feeling it is in the internal slot.) I am trying to find a GPS unit to put in mine. (I'd go without bluetooth for GPS!) But I can't find the retrofit item anywhere. (Let me know if you want to sell your GPS module!)

The thing is... The case is made out of magnesium so you'll eith need to hack the RIM antenna (if so equipped) or add an external antenna. I did a little write-up around here somewhere about adding an external antenna.

Let me know...

6. jviss

jviss Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks. I am keeping the GPS, I think, since I bought this as a boat navigation computer. I have a GPS receive on the boat that I can connect via RS-232, but internal is cool.

I'd love to know what the arrangement and type of expansion bays are in this system. Like, how many internal ports for expansion cards and what type, and also what cards did Panasonic make available, in what combinations - like was the modem combined with the Ethernet? Was there a CDMA wirelss data modem (as for use with Verizon EV-DO)? And the memory expansion - what's the base memory size, and what is the max configuration?

What I would like is GPS, Bluethooth, WiFi and wireless data at the same time.

regards,

jv

7. Toughbook

Reputations:
    Go to the Toughbook configurator page...

http://www.config.toughbook.com/pcsc/config/tgconfigure.nsf?open&selected=discontinued-all

Type in your model (found on the bottom of the laptop) and see what was available for your laptop. It should tell you based upon the other items selected when new... What was available but not installed. I've noticed that some CF-28s have different things available depending on what other selections were made. For instance... If you have the 12" touchscreen... CDMA may not have been available for some reason. (Not an actual issue but you get the idea.) I've noticed that 256MB of RAM is max on some but 768MB is max on others... It depends on what other items were chosen.

Check out the site and see what was available for your model.

8. Toughbook

Reputations:
    John... After a little research... I think you can have GPS or the ethernet plug on the side of the CF-28... The GPS card (and my bluetooth card) won't fit inside the laptop with the ethernet port installed.

It's why Panasonic didn't offer the combination.

Just FYI...

9. Action

Action Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi all
    Thats some great info so far.
    I'm new to the world of laptops, I have a CF-28 that I would like/need to get GPS into also. As I need to wait for a new HDD caddy from the States as the AUS Army here rip out the caddy's before they sell them. So good time to ask a few questions.
    She's a ex-AUS Army model CF-28PTJAZDM, and by what the Toughbook configurator says it a basic model, tho it has 512Mb Ram, In-Built Network
    of a Aztech internal Modem and LAN/Ethernet port. That the Army for you lol.

I have the manuals for it but they don't say a word about what the GPS card is IE: make, model, type and all that. Hell even the Service manual doesn't say anything about the internal PCM CIA card slot. Tho there is a great bit on reseting the start up password.

I need a internal one, as I'm going oversea soon and some of the places I'm going I cant affored to have a GPS hunging out the side in the PC card. And at the moment there the only ones I have found on the net.

Are there GPS for internal PCM CIA card slot or mini-pci card??? If so where can I find them?? Tho I'd like a PCA CIA one more as I need the mini-pci for a wifi card, as I want LAN, Wifi and GPS.

Jviss, do you know what make and all that is of the GPS in your CF-28??
    If you do, then thats at lest a start for me to start looking for.

I'm going to get rid of the mini-pci modem card and drop a wifi card in there, just like Toughbook did, by the way get Mod :) tho I'm going to see if I can put the plug in where the phone line goes. It will be fun I know........
    Toughbook, do you have any ideas on a good wifi card I should look at getting?

And on a side note, does anyone know what CN40 and CN18 are for on the MAIN PCB under the battery?? I just know its for "Config CN(A),(B)". what ever that is?????

And anyone know if there are still optional Second battery and HDD caddy's still kicking around, or if anyone knows there part No.????

10. Toughbook

Reputations:
    I don't know what the part number is for the internal GPS. I have tried, without success, to find a retrofit for this. I haven't seen any come up for auction on ebay. I've searched the Internet and a few come up for $500+ USD. A little too much for me! This is just a "kicking around" laptop for me. I'll eventually buy an old CF-28 with GPS off of ebay and dig the parts out.

For an internal mini pci WiFi card... Go with an Atheros based A/B/G card and get one that is 100mw power. This will ensure you get a strong signal when you add the external antenna.

I think the CN40 and CN18 connections are for the CDMA stuff for the RIM setup. (If so equipped.)

The battery for the media bay is part number CF-VZSU1428W. I bought one off of ebay. I left my CF-28 running with apps to keep it working and it ran for just over 6 hours with both batteries. I think I paid $75 USD for mine but the prices run up to $150 USD. I have yet to see a hard drive caddy for the front bay.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.