1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

CF-28 hard drive cable

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by unirambler, May 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mnementh

mnementh Crusty Ol' TinkerDwagon

Reputations:
    Sorry... the last one I bought was $75. Been a while tho.

mnem
    'Tis crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy & snide!

2. kd4e

kd4e Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It may well be that we will have to explore that dark and treacherous valley of custom-built HDD cables?

So, anyone care to take a look at the URL's and share their expertise as to the correct pin-outs?

Also, anyone have a source of the correct gender 50-pin connector?

I thought I read in a couple of places that Toshiba used them on CD drives.

I am pretty good with a small soldering iron and just bought a neat little workbench magnifier w/LED's at Harbor Freight today ... and I know how to verify correct pin-outs if I have the correct data ... besides it is all fun!

3. klboo

klboo Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The connector part has been touched on in some other threads - part no. here

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showpost.php?p=2849403&postcount=19

It apparently is same as the ATAPI. Pinout should match the normal notebook HD pinout, the last few aren't used, and I'm not sure how the temp sensors would work out on a homemade plug. JAE will send samples out - I got a pair to comfirm the plugs match.

Until my soldering skills get a lot better, or I find a suitable breakout board someplace, this is past me. But good luck with it.

4. kd4e

kd4e Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have followed your suggestion and requested some samples from JAE.

I have a neat little Antex Precision soldering iron for which I will rig a tiny-tip and use silver solder.

Since we will soon have a pair of unusable CF-28's here I am highly motivated to cobble together a cable!

5. kd4e

kd4e Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have found someone who builds cables professionally and who will build me the CF-28 HDD cables if I provide him with the right connector for the motherboard and the correct pin-outs.

Is the pin-out information on pages 70, 71, & 72 of the CF-28 service manual here: http://amd751.ru/files/cf-28techmanual.pdf correct?

6. mnementh

Reputations:
    Dude -

If you're asking have any of us actually tried pinning out the wiring on one of these connectors and compared that to the MFR's schematic, then no, not bloody likely. Evidently you simply don't understand what is involved - the header connector is SMD with a solder terminal spacing of .5mm - this translates to approx. 0.018" from center to center of each pin; the connector is shrouded, making it very difficult to touch just one pin at a time. Now... If I had one of the correct connectors to use as a template, I sure wouldn't be spending time doing that tedious kind of pinout work trying to make another for testing... I'd just use the known good one I have.

mnem
    I'd rather stand on my porch & drill screws through my feet...

7. tough-2-go

tough-2-go Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Why are linking to a Russian Website?

8. mnementh

Reputations:
    Oh, everybody uses pinouts.ru... ain't no thing, chicken wing...

mnem
    "Life is hard. Fortunately, it is also short." - Russian proverb

9. pappy42

pappy42 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    "What the heck chicken neck" You are in rare form today Mnem. Have you been imbibing Marcus' formula again?

10. kd4e

kd4e Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    OK, permit me to rephrase my question ...

Is there any reason to believe that the pin-outs for the HDD-to-CF-28 motherboard connector might vary from the Service Manual or between the 600, 800, and 1GHz models?

The guy who will build these does so professionally and does not see this as an unusual challenge. I take him at his word. Besides, all I will be out is the free sample connectors! :)