CF-27 DVD drive issues

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Roger Mialkowski, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Roger Mialkowski

Roger Mialkowski Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes, if you can test a DVD drive on your CF-27, that may give me some peace of mind.
    I can't remember if I had to configure it as Force USB 1.1 in Plop when I am booting a stick from the onboard USB port. But I didn't select that with the PCMCIA USB 2.0 controllers. I have an Adaptec AUA-1420A and a D-Link DUB-C2.
    I had checked out antiX17 but after I think the screen went dim after I dumbed down the display to 800x600. I have tried 16.3 and it worked correctly with 800x600 at bootup.

2. SHEEPMAN!

SHEEPMAN! Freelance

Reputations:
    I thought I had an answer but....my 27 won't read DVD either. Arch attempted to load but turned out to be a CD. :(

Point of interest is that my DVD shows up as Master in bios. Hmmmmmm.................thinking.

I haven"t read Shawn's links yet.

More after dinner.

3. SHEEPMAN!

SHEEPMAN! Freelance

Reputations:
  4. Roger Mialkowski

Reputations:
    I think he's referring to if you want to watch DVD movies, that's what the decoder would be for. I just want to boot from DVD like I do with CDs. Strange that the BIOS says it recognizes the DVD/CD-RW drive and that you can enable the option in BIOS setup to even boot from CD/DVD. The DVD drive light flashes and flashes with a DVD inserted and then comes to a stop after 30 or more seconds. CDs take only a few seconds to be seen. I've even tried an original just-opened out of the package Windows 7 Home 32-bit DVD to see if if would recognize, not necessarily boot to the Windows Setup, just stop flashing after a few seconds once it catches the track or whatever it does to recognize media.

5. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    Did you solder the jumper to make it a master? In my experience... When you swap out the old CD for the DVD you needed to solder a jumper to force it as master.
    [​IMG]

6. Roger Mialkowski

Reputations:
    I shouldn't have to since I bought the DVD/CD-RW model for CF-27/28/29, right? Unless both sellers swapped the original contents out for other DVD drives.

7. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    I could swear those were all CD Roms back in the day... Which is why there was such a movement out there to swap over the DVDs. Only a handful of the DVD were coded as master and would work right out of the box. I always soldered the back of the PC board to force it to master. I wrote a tutorial on that in 2007 I think. It is somewhere around here.

toughasnails and Shawn like this.
  8. Roger Mialkowski

Reputations:
    What about CF-VDR282U and CF-VDR291U, those are supposedly DVD-ROM/CD-RW drives from Panasonic that are for the MP TB's. I've tried 2 of the 291U's but neither are reading DVD-R, DVD+RW, DVD+R or even a brand new just opened Microsoft Windows 7 DVD. Is the 282 a more compatible drive for the CF-27 or should either work?

9. SHEEPMAN!

SHEEPMAN! Freelance

Reputations:
    I stumbled on an original faceplate (all black) CF-VDR282u.

Windows 7 bootable DVD attempted to run and quit on insufficient ram.

Mint 17.2 attempted to boot but quit on error partway through. (settings were forcepae nomodeset) Again I think it was too much for the tiny bit of ram.

If I find another one I'll try it too, but PANASONIC DRIVE PACK DVD-ROM & CDR/RW DRIVE PACK seems to work.

IOW mine would use the DVD but I have insufficient ram for the DVDs I found so far. IMGA0173.jpg

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    Shawn likes this.
  10. Roger Mialkowski

Reputations:
    No worries that the DVD didn't start the setups, it's that they were at least reading and processing the data on the DVDs whereas the two DVD drives (291U) I tried were not. I'll probably start looking for a 282U since I have your findings. Thanks so much to all for taking the time to look into this!