CF-27 DVD drive issues

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Roger Mialkowski, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Roger Mialkowski

Roger Mialkowski Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello all,

I have a couple of way old CF-27's and I have been wanting to install Linux on them. I have a CD-ROM drive for them but some Linux distributions are larger than what a CD can hold hence my need for a DVD drive. I bought a couple of CF-VDR291U drives from different sellers on eBay and while they show up in the BIOS as UJDA750 and UJDA760, they do not appear to read the DVDs or even boot from them. However, CDs get read and boot correctly though. I tried the Low and High speed settings in the BIOS with no luck. Do I need the 282 model of the DVD drive or have I just gotten a couple of dead DVD drives? Please advise and any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Roger

2. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    perhaps a driver of some sort loaded in/with grub?
    Just a swag as I am not a linux expert

3. Roger Mialkowski

Reputations:
    I even tried booting from a brand new just opened Windows 7 Home 32-bit DVD and the drive just blinks for 30 or more seconds when the computer turns on and then stops blinking and proceeds to boot from the HDD. I can boot from CDs without issue. I've tried DVD-R, DVD+RW (burned at 4x), DVD+R (burned at 4x). I'm rather lost in what the issue here is.

4. Shawn

Reputations:
  5. Roger Mialkowski

Reputations:
    Hello Shawn,

Just read all the threads but they don't really address my issue. I have used Plop to boot from USB but it's USB 1.1 which is painfully slow for a larger than CD distribution. I have the BIOS already set to boot from CD/DVD. The DVD drives both have booted CDs, they just do not seem to even recognize DVDs of any kind. If I have a DVD in the drive with the CF-27 off, I turn it on and the drive light flashes for 30+ seconds which, to me, it means that it's trying to recognize the disc inserted. CDs take only a few seconds before the CF-27 proceeds with the POST and boot process. I was hoping to confirm on this forum that the CF-VDR291U drives can indeed be used to read DVDs on a CF-27 or have I just gotten a hold of some bum drives?

Thanks!
    Roger

6. Shawn

Reputations:
  7. Roger Mialkowski

Reputations:
    I saw those posts too. I may have to go that route if I get desparate. Otherwise, I guess you're right. They must be bad. One of the drives I already sent back to the seller on eBay and he says he tested it when it arrived on a CF-29 with no issues, skips, errors, etc so that's why I started this thread. I have been in touch with the seller of the 2nd DVD drive that doesn't work and he said he has another he will test and send it out if it's good and I can send back this potentially faulty one. Thanks for all your help and advice!

Roger

8. SHEEPMAN!

SHEEPMAN! Freelance

Reputations:
    What Linux distro are you trying?

libdvdcss may need to be added once you have the linux installed.

More later company arrives.

9. Roger Mialkowski

Reputations:
    I have installed Q4OS v1.8.8 and downgraded the SMP kernel to i586. Screen works out of the box. Good and responsive GUI. I got the sound working by compiling the firmware module. Still need to get the touchscreen working, haven't had time to look at that. I've also run WattOS 8 and have been trying to run WattOS 9 but that image requires a DVD drive hence this whole thread. I created a USB stick from the .ISO image and booted from it using a Plop CD but that USB 1.1 is really slow so I wanted to take the DVD drive route. I even popped in a USB 2.0 CardBus card and booted from it using Plop and the PCMCIA version but once the Linux kernel boots from USB, it kind of forgets what PCMCIA is and cannot proceed with booting. I only tried WattOS 9 for that though and maybe other distros are more compatible with PCMCIA booting.

10. SHEEPMAN!

SHEEPMAN! Freelance

Reputations:
    I'm not familiar with Q4OS.

The two things that come to mind are libdvdcss (from package manager) and adding yourself to group "disk".

Let me test a DVD drive or two in my CF-27. I have more than two. :)

I use my CF-27 w/DOS for radio tweaking.

You are using force USB 1.1 in plop????

Hmmm another squirrel to chase...the pcmcia forgetfulness.:confused:

You're no rookie so check out antiX17 non-pae.:vbthumbsup:

UNCNDL1 likes this.