CF-27, CF-28, CF-29 CD to DVD Swap Tutorial-Lots of Pictures!

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Toughbook, Aug 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    You can also do the CF-72 if you solder R102 instead of R2... You should also put a piece of electrical tape across the back like the stock CD Rom. (Look on the back to see) Otherwise, far-fetched but it might happen if it is hit the wrong way, the connector may short out against the back of the new DVD.

Just wanted to let you know. This goes for the CF27/28/29... I'm not sure about the 72.

2. huntler

huntler Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Nice job!!!

Are the pannasonic cd and dvd drives any more rugged than normal laptop drives? I'm just wondering if they have any kind of spiffy shock proofing or magic that makes them work better??

3. stiffnecked

stiffnecked Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you change you optical CD/DVD drive back to a Panasonic brand do you need to undo the soldering change? I did the mod that TB illustrated and it worked fine. But since I've come across some Panasonic drives I was just wondering if I needed to reverse it for it to work right?? Totally newbie question.

4. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    Yes... I think so. I don't think it would hurt to try it though. Either way...

I think the R2 Forces it to Master instead of giving the drive the choice to make the decision. The BIOS reads teh change that has been soldered instead of waiting to get that info back from the drive.

(Just my 2 cent guess though.)

5. capt.dogfish

capt.dogfish The Curmudgeon

Reputations:
    No, they are not. If you drop the drive on the floor with your brand new DVD burner that you just installed inside, your new burner will be junk. Ask me how I know! The caddy survived though.

6. stiffnecked

Reputations:
    I'll unsolder the R2 on the spare 28 I have and report back on what if any differences I noticed.

7. stiffnecked

Reputations:
    Unsoldered the R2, installed the new CD/DVD drive, fired it up and BAM! started up and ran almost like new. I'd say it ran like new but since it's not new I can't really say that. This mod was so easy even a newbie like me could tackle it without cussing or throwing things...

8. jkjsvhasd

jkjsvhasd Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Toughbook,

Thanks, was able to do this mod today (was a busy day). Used the fine wire method to form the bridge. Have a NEC AD-7590A and its working great and is able to boot an OS disk

PS. For those of us with "old" eyes be careful not to bridge R1 instead of R2, nothing serious happens, other then the mod not working. Ask me how I know:)

9. Toyo

Toyo Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have red X boxes for the pics???

If I wanted or needed a better CD/DVD drive than what I had put into my CF-30 when new how hard is that? If I get a Panny brand I am sure it's simple. Where is the best place price wise, to get a Panny drive?

Rick, If you are a watch affieciando you need to look at the Brietling's. Love mine. I have more $$ in watches than I do cars.....Thank god I have the best wife in the world!

10. mikemelancholic

mikemelancholic Newbie

Reputations:
    Pics are dead... :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.