CF-19's to FZ-G1

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Liteace, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Liteace

Liteace Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  2. kschewe

kschewe Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Pretty sure the drive is m.2 sata drive b or m and b key. not the m key nvme. the link above correct one.
    to bad the nvme is the way to go on anything new

3. theoak2

theoak2 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Towelie

One thing that worries me when I look at CF-20 MK1 is the 1.1 GHz CPU speed. (Nightmares over updating client computers with that CPU speed in the past.)

Obviously, from your comment on the superiority of the CF-20 over the FZ-G1, the CPU does not feel sluggish? Your input on this would be more valuable to end users than Googled benchmarks I believe.

4. kschewe

kschewe Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    i5-7Y57 is the cpu. I do not have one but looking at benchmarks its equivalent to to using a cf-c2 4th gen haswell. It basically a tablet in power like the surface pro. It would get blown away benchmarks compared to a ipad pro. Its a very low power machine for battery life. Depends on what you really want. More of a tough work horse would be cf-33. If dont need a rugged machine the lenovo t490 is good business machine, cheap and powerful

5. Liteace

Reputations:
    I dont know how it compares to my 19 with the i5 3320M 2.6GHz, being a newer machine I would have thought it would be a little faster, this one does 18 seconds from power on to w7 desktop and 41 seconds from desktop > other partition desktop

I think the 20 is running w10 so maybe it'll take a little longer, if its anything around the 20 - 40 second area that'll do for me.
    I dont really use any power hungry programs, I think my other 19 is a Mk4, with the SSD its plenty fast enough for me so Im hoping the 20 will be on par with or a little faster

6. kschewe

kschewe Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Most benchmarks show it 20% faster cpu. So definitely not a huge difference to what you got and prob be similar in performance in applications. Things like loading should be 30 sec or less for windows 10 for sure. I do that on mine haswell cpu.
    Its intent is to be more of a super tough portable tablet than anything. Prob not for the average guy but at the price its usually for government and corporations
    the cf-33 is way faster machine and i like to get one in the future when they become surplus lol, not worth 3k-7k to the average guy like me. Damn they are expensive

7. towelie

towelie Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The CF-20(MK1) performance is adequate, when it boosts the frequency goes much higher and i can play a lot of newer games such as starcraft 2 and age of empires 2 definitive edition. For the m.2 ssd, of course the samsung m.2 sata ssd will work as it ships with one from samsung. But as i said, most of these m.2 ssds are not rated below 0 degrees celcius but the ATP one is good down to -40c. To me it is important to keep the -20c rating of the CF-20 but if you think you will never leave it in these conditions then you could use any.

8. Liteace

Reputations:
    Its arrived, Im not to impressed with it, I think its going to take a bit of time getting used to, I think its because Ive been used to the build quality of the 19's
    One think that annoys me is the 3 LEDs under the screen they are a little to bright or situated in the wrong place also the palm rest on the right hand side of the mouse pad has sunk a tiny bit leaving a sharp edge on where the plastic joins right at the front, the left hand side is OK as its prob not had any weight on it
    The wifi antenna/s are no where near as good as the 19's both my 19's pick up a weak signal thats been there years, the 20 dont see it.

The gamber johnson docking station , Im impressed with that, well thought out and quality build

Ive been trying to get a second battery for it, Panasonic europe are telling me end of Jan, beginning of Feb so must be a shortage

Im going to install the 2tb ssd soon, i'll keep you all posted

Thanks

9. towelie

towelie Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    For the Leds you can turn them off by using concelated mode, all lights will turn off except keyboard and webcam light.

10. BaRRmaley

BaRRmaley Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    black felt-tip pen