CF-19 Windows 7 install

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by h3lpmedic, Nov 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. db04p71

db04p71 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Try using the Vista video driver for the MK1. Update the driver through Device Manager. You may be warned that the driver is older than your current driver. You may get a BSOD. Your video driver may be updated after a restart.

IIRC, that is how I got the video FN functions working on my MK2.

2. IHOwner

IHOwner Newbie

Reputations:
    The video FN functions are fine, the problem is the screen blanks for a second when I use them, and a couple of times on system startup.

3. Toyo

Toyo Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Make sure you have the correct video driver version from Panasonic. You will NOT get it working correctly without it.

4. IHOwner

IHOwner Newbie

Reputations:
    And how do I get the touchpad scroll region to work? it works under XP but not 7. As for the video drivers - that section of the howto is somewhat less than clear, as I said, all functions seem to work but there's a blanking as you do anything, as in the display when you adjust the brightness goes black for a second then comes back, dimmer as you would want it to be, but it goes black for a second. Everyone keeps saying 'use the vista drivers' - it's a model C, full model number is in an earlier post, it doesn't list a vista driver, I've followed the directions and am at this stage, once the video blanking issue is sorted and the touchpad scroll region works it's done, complete, good to go back to it's owner.

5. db04p71

db04p71 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    CF-19C Vista video driver:

Download Details:
    Title: Video Driver
    Model Number: CF-19C/D/E(mk1) Windows Vista Business CF-19[C/D/E]xxxxJx
    Operating System: Windows Vista
    Language: English(North America)
    Last Updated Date: 2007/08/09

http://pc-dl.panasonic.co.jp/dl/download/file/009112/s/1b58018d8f8735c0/video_1930_11_d070569.exe

6. IHOwner

IHOwner Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks, Touchpad scroll region by any chance? as in I don't have one, select a page where I could scroll, move finger on right side of touchpad - nada, zero, zip, zilch no matter what it's set to in the panasonic driver, synaptics driver is a little better but intermittent, it's not the hardware as switching back to XP fixes it, it'll scroll then. (I'll try this driver shortly and reply back)

7. dtrego

dtrego Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The scroll region works for me in Win 7 (CF-19CDGCAVM). I used the touchpad driver as directed in RCX's thread about installing Win 7 on an 18 (http://forum.notebookreview.com/panasonic/418424-howto-install-windows-7-cf-18-mk1.html) - the Win 7 driver for a CF-19 K/L. It's *really* on the right edge of the touchpad - my finger rides along the lip of the touchpad area. Can't remember if it was different in XP. It's not something I use much. I'm more of a <Fn><PgUp>/<Fn><PgDn> guy. ;)

8. MD2Colo

MD2Colo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello,
    First post from a guy with a bunch of military toughbook experience, none civilian. I'm about to pull the trigger on my first TB purchase, and I'm wondering how well W7 runs on the CF-19. I have tinkering experience with laptops and desktops, modding, etc, so the terminology and processes aren't totally foreign to me.
    That being said, how well does the CF-19 deal with W7? It seems that leaving it with XP would be a more wise decision... I don't want to work the system with just running the OS. Most W7 stuff should be XP backwards compatible (being 32/64 bit aware), I would think. I'm looking to use the TB for navigation with GPS and Delorme Topo, run MS Office and Outlook, and that's about it. I believe Delorme is XP compatible, FWIW.
    I guess my question is what benefits are you guys seeing with going to W7? I'm concerned (like everyone else is, I assume) with conservation of system resources. Obviously running mapping software and moving through imagery is system intensive... better to RUN XP or W7 for that??

This is a great forum, BTW... awesome info.
    Thanks guys

9. toughasnails

toughasnails Toughbook Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    How does it run ...good once you get all the right drivers installed. What it comes down to is which model (MK1,2,3,4 or 5) you install it on . The CF-19MK1 takes a lot more work installing W7 but the MK2 and up is a breeze. I just put W7 on my MK2 and it works great.
    BTW Welcome to NBR :D

10. capt.dogfish

capt.dogfish The Curmudgeon

Reputations:
    Actually, running mapping software for GPS navigation purposes is not particularly system intensive. It's not like Delorme has to redraw the map 24 times per second like playing a video would require. Topo used to run great on my old CF-27s as did my much more complicated barge positioning software. My CF-18 runs Topo fine at 550 knots in an Airbus, and both Streets and Trips and Topo simultaneously at 75mph with no problem. In short, you need a ton of disk space to store all the maps, but very little processing power to run the programs.
    CAP
    Used to be the "Naviguesser" before he got grouchy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.