CF-19 Mk6 Build Recommendations

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Jester321, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Jester321

Jester321 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hey I wanted to start a separate build thread for my CF-19 as my last post was getting pretty long and had figured my main objective of which toughbook I wanted to go with.

My current specs:

CF-191HYAV1M
    Toughbook CF-19 MK6 (Former Police Cruiser MDT)
    8969 Hours
    8gb Ram
    180gb SSD
    Verizon WWAN 4G LTE

I have a good image for windows 7 with all working drivers etc. Currently I am playing around with Windows 10 (a few issues have popped up though, like front button issues), so will probably stick with win 7 for the time being.

My goals for this build are the following and some questions:

1. Smartcard Reader - Install a smartcard reader in the CF-19. I currently have a 54mm Expresscard slot and a PCMCIA slot. I am thinking the PCMCIA slot would be the best route.
      • Any recommendation for one that fits flush inside the bay?
    2. Additional USBs - Since I will probably use the PCMCIA slot, I would like to utilize the expresscard slot for some more USB ports.
    3. Linux - I want to have a separate hard drive setup for Linux, currently I have an extra SSD that is not being used.
    4. Firewire 1394 Port - Would it even be possible to swap out this port for something more useful like another USB port?
    5. Verizon WWAN 4g LTE - Are these still usable? Can it only be used with Verizon?
    6. RAM Upgrade - The specs for the CF-19 MK6 show its max memory being 8GB, but I was on Techtoughs website and their model shows 16gb, is that possible? https://www.techtough.com/product-page/black-cobra-panasonic-toughbook-cf-19
    7. Also no I am not painting this thing lol. If I ever get the urge, powder coating seems to be the best route.

2. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    Dont use the pcmcia or expresscard to usb adapters.
    The card slots do not have enough amperage.
    Try a portable usb hub.

Linux has like 600 distros. Hard to tell you which one is best for you.
    I use a modified MX18 distro on my tablets.
    Zorin is great for ease of use right out of the box.
    I think cf 19s had a smartcard option. I would retrofit the stock parts.

Many of your question have been ask and answered many times over. Trying the search function will get you more information than what us old guys can remember at any given moment.

No linux distro will get the cf19 buttons to work, wirhout major effort in mild programming.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2019
  3. Jester321

Jester321 Notebook Guru

Reputations:

Yeah I see the voltage issue. Think I might look into the SD card/memory stick duo adapter instead.

On linux, I was looking for suggestions on what has worked for others. As I dont know what would work best for me yet either. Thanks for the suggestions!

I was having trouble finding an original smartcard reader for the CF-19. Probably look into purchasing a second one that has the reader already and maybe a few other options that would be nice to mess around with like keyboard, GPS, etc.

Yeah I did search, but was not finding any info on firewire port, or WWAN. Did find the ram info though.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  4. User32

User32 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Don't bother with the smartcard reader, it makes your CF-19 not waterproof anymore.

5. Shawn

Reputations:
    I have factory smartcard reader for CF 19.
    It will still be waterproof.
    see private message

6. User32

User32 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  7. Shawn

Reputations:
    Mine does not have the custom door.

The factory smartcard reader fits entirely inside the standard door.
    The door closes completely and seals the same as every other CF 19.

Now if you have the door open and a card inserted then that is different.
    Just like plugging in a usb device or network RJ45 or a PCMCIA card causes the CF 19 to not be watertight anymore.

User32 likes this.
  8. Jester321

Jester321 Notebook Guru

Reputations:

I would keep my existing door. I've been looking on eBay at CF-19 with the smartcard reader installed and they all seem to just have the same door as ones without the smart card reader. If I got PCMCIA I would hope the door would close with it installed.

9. thewanderlustking

thewanderlustking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have bought from TechTough before and was pleased with what I got. The prices for those drives and recovery DVD are reasonable. You can do better assembling it yourself obviously, but it is done and ready to go.

I have a couple more I need to build and get ready to go FAST. That is an option I am considering myself.

I use Linux Mint 18 I believe. No buttons work, but I can pop it in any of my machines too. Don't waste a HDD on it, it will run fine off a USB stick. You can find a low profile 32gb one that fits under the back USB cover easily. I have mine setup on an adapter card stuffed into the WWAN slot.

Also, Linux is free and "non-invasive." You can try as many as you would like until you find one that you want to keep.

My SLLLOOOOWWWW MK1 runs Linux quickly off that USB drive stuck in the WWAN slot.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2019
  10. Jester321

Jester321 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Ah okay, any suggestions on what low profile USB will work?