cf-19 MK6 and windows 10

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by shackwrrr, Nov 4, 2016.

1. BaRRmaley

BaRRmaley Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Good old method - install hotkey appendix and rename hkeyappv.dll

Re GPS toggle. I think it's about Win10 Action center.
    Screenshot 2017-07-04 00.38.15.png Screenshot 2017-07-04 00.38.41.png

And don't forget to use Win10 kb shortcuts like Win+x. After that you will not be able to use Win7 again :)))

2. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    This win 7 install has been in many different laptops also. Figured it was time to start over.

3. Shawn

Reputations:
  4. Shawn

Reputations:
    Win10 is up and running on the mk6.
    Brightness button is wonky. I will cure that later. Changing brightness via Panasonic Dashboard app works fine.

I manually changed all the items recommended by Phoenix. Interesting learning experience. I did discover that most or all of those items are changed by the automatic Win10 cleaner programs. Still glad to do it manually at least once to learn what all is being done.

It auto activated once I finally turned the wifi on.
    I recommend NO wifi until the install is complete.

A couple more tweaks and I will transfer the drive to the mk6 with gps, camera, and fingerprint. Then I can evaluate how those items function.

I did use the mk7 driver cab file although I extracted everything using 7zip. There are several extractions that need done. It is not as simple as the bundle packs. Maybe I am missing something on the cab install? If anyone knows, please chime in.

Right now the mk6 has 4gb ram. I am getting an 8gb chip and see if it works on a camera model. Win 10 runs and boots reasonably fast. Slow to shut down though.

I will need to adjust my thinking going to Win10. Adjust to using the touchscreen for navigation.

5. shackwrrr

shackwrrr Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Late getting back to reply, long holiday weekend.

The brightness adjustment for me, if I adjust using the front panel buttons the brightness only changes for a few seconds and reverts back to what windows wants it to be. Also seems to be a couple brightness steps missing. I can change the brightness using the windows action center but only get 4 steps of brightness from 0-100% This has not bothered me much as I use the PC in pretty bright environments and full brightness is needed 99% of the time.

The GPS toggle I was referring to is the Action center "location" toggle. I can turn on active GPS usage using this toggle. I am using the user level driver https://www.turboirc.com/gps7/ to bridge the gap between the COM port based GPS and the windows sensor API. Using the very small piece of software it makes GPS access seamless. I can enable location in the windows action center and I am able to use GPS location in any application that is open. I have used it inside of Chrome with google maps and the built in Bing maps.

I did not use any MK7 drivers when I did mine, I used what windows 8 drivers that worked from MK6 and the rest are whatever windows used.

Mine still only has 4gb of RAM and is on 64bit windows. Even heavy use of google Chrome It runs very smoothly. My work provided laptop is a Lenovo e530 with a 2520M and 8gb and I think it runs very similar to the toughbook.

6. BaRRmaley

BaRRmaley Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Unbelievable :))
    I had to use Chrome for a week on 4GB mk6 (+HDD, not SSD). It was an awful experience :)))
    Why? :)

7. Shawn

Reputations:
    I went by the linked install instructions and I agree.
    Staying offline will prevent any updates or driver installs until I get the official Panasonic drivers installed and I disable anything that I prefer to not have running. Saves Windows from getting confused.

I want to have everything setup the way I prefer, THEN let Windows update and do it's thing.

toughasnails likes this.
  8. UNCNDL1

UNCNDL1 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Great input Shawn. Although I am not a windows user, I do have a MK-6 CF-19 that is now gathering dust. If I don't sell it locally, I might just pop in an SSD and see how it goes as you've (and others) have described above. But then, I'd have to send it to you for a custom gps install.

9. Shawn

Reputations:
    Mail it on over. I should still have a 19 gps setup

10. Shawn

Reputations:
    I did finally get Acronis to work.
    Trick was to check the box to copy the drive signature to the new drive.

UNCNDL1 likes this.