cf-19 MK6 and windows 10

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by shackwrrr, Nov 4, 2016.

1. shackwrrr

shackwrrr Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Got my cf-19 yesterday, cheapest mk6 I could find on ebay and it's not too bad. Has 5360 hours on it and looks great. Couple pressure spots and a bright pixel but that doesn't bother me for the price. Its a CF-191dyc51m, has GPS and everything works.

I couldn't find much information on installing windows 10 on the mk-6 so I figured I would give it a shot. I used the free upgrade (on screen keyboard is assistive technologies right?)

So far everything works great, had to make one small change to the settings, I selected to disable the touch when the pen is being used as this would cause the pen to be jumpy. Also uninstalled the panasonic bluetooth software as the windows bluetooth support is pretty good. All the other Panasonic software seems to work as designed

2. toughasnails

toughasnails Toughbook Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Sounds like you got youself a nice 19. Check out the link in my sig to shut down the spying in W10.

3. BaRRmaley

BaRRmaley Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It's better not to disable that "spying" - small problems with some Microsoft services, Skype. But ok, not that important.
    shackwrrr, does your mk6 have 1 or 2 ram slots? Is bluetooth integrated into wi-fi adapter?
    I want to try 195D (mk7 with multi-touch) :)

4. shackwrrr

Reputations:
    It has 2 ram slots. It does have bluetooth but unsure whether it is based on the wifi card or not.

5. shackwrrr

Reputations:
    I figured out a cool trick with the GPS. Since our GPS chip is com based it is only in use when a program accesses the com port. windows 10 added integration of GPS systems like a phone where the GPS is there for any program to use. I found a piece of software that pulls the GPS data from the com port and translates that to windows 10 sensor data. Now the GPS works like a phone where you can enable and disable it by turning location on and off. This allows you to use windows (bing) maps with turn by turn navigation. Also google maps on chrome works, as does any other website that can pull location. http://www.turboirc.com/gps7/

Psychowolff and Shawn like this.
  6. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    On the mk6 I have here for repair, the bluetooth has to be on the wifi card.
    The connector is not even on the pcb to plug a separate bluetooth module into.
    No retrofit of the separate bluetooth module unless you swapped out the entire WWAN board with one from an older model. Then the BIOS might not see it.
    This mk6 has a Intel 6205 in it now.

BaRRmaley likes this.
  7. BaRRmaley

BaRRmaley Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That's bad. For example, 6205 doesn't have bluetooth 3.0, so it's impossible to connect newest mice, doesn't support 802.11ac... Last mk6 I disassembled had only 1 RAM slot (and no rear camera) - strange configuration.
    I will disassemble next mk6 after it dries (watertest and washing) :))
    Also looking for mk6 bios dump :)

8. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    What exact model of mk6 do you need a bios for?

9. shackwrrr

Reputations:
    According to this spec sheet
    ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/pub/Panasonic/toughbook/specsheets/TB-19_ss.pdf

It uses the 6235 which is wireless N and bluetooth 4.0

The Intel 7260HMW would be the equivalent wireless AC card for the HMC PCIe slot. Not sure if the bios would support it though. You only get bluetooth 4.0 with the 7260, we would need an M.2 slot to be able to get the new 4.2 bluetooth.

10. BaRRmaley

BaRRmaley Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You are right, it's 6235. I've tried to upgrade it to 7260 to get 802.11ac, but bluetooth didn't work. That was one of the reasons (second was 1 RAM slot) I'm on MK5 :)

Shawn, CF-191HYAG1M