CF-19, mk5, Live Linux distro with touchscreen working out of the box?

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by jonlowe, Jan 29, 2018.

1. jonlowe

jonlowe Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    New to me CF-19 Mk5 , CF-19AHUAG1M. Touch screen is erratic, want to rule out software issues. Is there a live Linux distro where the Touchscreen just works without messing around so I can verify?

Jon

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  2. SHEEPMAN!

SHEEPMAN! Freelance

Reputations:
    The cable connector in the lid should be looked at. Un-plug / re-plug and tape it down.
    My MK6 (CF-191DC02FT) is running MX17 Horizon otb. (Multi-touch) It works OTB but I did add xinput and xinput calibrate for the touchscreen calibration. Digitizer is spot on.
    What is your touchscreen setting in bios. I use auto.
    Early MX-16 wanted a touchscreen bios....since changed so auto works. Sorry if this too much info.

UNCNDL1 and Shawn like this.
  3. jonlowe

Reputations:
    I'll give the connector a try. I've replaced a touchscreen in a CF-19 Mk2 before, so I know what's involved. I found I have a Linux based recovery disk, and the touchscreen is erratic there also, so much so that I had to disable the touchscreen in the bios.
    Bios is set on auto in Windows. I've tried the touchscreen setting also, but no difference.

Thanks.

4. SHEEPMAN!

SHEEPMAN! Freelance

Reputations:
    Somewhere in the MK19 series they changed the connector from the old style spring loaded to the brown flippy-clippy (tech speak) kind. Tape it down HARD.
    I wonder what that cost Panasonic in warranty service?
    FWIW I have one touch panel left for CF-19. If it's not a MK1 I doubt the panel is the problem though.

You can test the leads on the fpc? from the panel... Continuity between 1 and 3 and 2 and 4.

5. jonlowe

Reputations:
    Ok, how do you properly release the brown clip? I fiddled with it for sometime, and never figured out how to release it. The cable is very tight in it.

I'm running Windows 7 and the self installing driver pack.

The screen reacts very weird. If I start the computer, and don't touch the mousepad, the screen senses the stylus or my finger, and follows it to a degree. But if I move off the screen, the cursor bounces back to about center screen left and right, and about 1/3 from the bottom of the screen. It always goes back to the same place, give or take a few mm. If I touch the touchpad, the touch screen no longer responds until I restart. Its almost like the computer senses that the touchscreen is acting up, and reverts to the touchpad only.

However, if I hit control- alt-delete, that screen reacts to touchscreen and the touchpad, and both are "locked" to the point on screen. If I use the keys to select a menu option, such as task manager, the computer goes back to only responding to the touchpad.

If I use a Linux distro, both the touchpad and touchscreen are "locked" to the point on screen. If I move the cursor and release it, it bounces back to that same location. The only way to use the Linux distro is to disable the touchscreen in the bios.

The built in tests in the bios says that the touchscreen is ok. The Fujitsu drivers for the touchscreen and pad show no errors.

If I use keys to get to calibration options, the Panasonic calibration says it's not fully functional, and exits. The Window calibration under tablet settings doesn't sense the touchscreen, either to ID the touchscreen, or to calibrate it.

My MK2 uses basically the same touchpad and screen and drivers, so I know how it should work. This MK5 has me baffled. It's like one place on the screen has a permanent touch. There is one scratch on the screen, but not where the cursor ends up. No other apparent damage, and nothing in between the touchscreen and the bezel.

Touchscreens are only about $45 out of China, so the cost doesn't worry me too much. But I'd like to rule out other faults.

6. safn1949

safn1949 I'm sure I'm on the wrong planet

Reputations:
    I'm guessing bad screen panel, cable is probably ok. I have a Mk2 here that can't be calibrated, guessing bad panel so it's stripped for parts for my Mk5.

7. BaRRmaley

BaRRmaley Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Not so easy to replace and I've got them broken during delivery 2 times. But you'll have to try and finally this option works.

8. KLonsdale

KLonsdale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If there are no physical connection problems with the cables, go to your bios and see if GPS is enabled, if it is disable it. That will fix the problem if there is an on-board GPS unit, it is caused by a driver conflict with the serial port used by the on-board GPS unit. Panasonic released a fix for it but it a windows based driver, so it won't work for Linux.

Shawn likes this.
  9. BaRRmaley

BaRRmaley Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Nope, symptoms of the dead panel.
    GPS conflict looks like chaotic 1Hz jumps of cursor.

Shawn likes this.
  10. KLonsdale

KLonsdale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I stand corrected, I should have read the original post more carefully.